SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Trying to figure out this noise/vibration. opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-14, 08:26 PM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to figure out this noise/vibration. opinions?

92 sc400 All stock 136k
I have this mmmm sound with a little/bit of vibration. Sound is I wanna say middle/passenger side

Just Flushed the power steering thinking it would resolve my prob. (Needed to be done anyways)
Its the loudest in P and N. When I use accessories as well. It goes a little bit with the rpm.
I havent a clue what it could be

I have a video but dont know how to upload it here
Old 11-20-14, 11:47 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

upload video to youtube then here. is it inside the car? how loud is it?
Old 11-21-14, 03:56 PM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldManTan
upload video to youtube then here. is it inside the car? how loud is it?

Keeps saying error invalid video...
Its loud in the cabin and underneath the car.
very noticeable sound that gets louder when I use accessories and flick my lights on and off. And its the loudest in Park and Neutral.
I was thinking a trans mount or alternator bearing, pulley.
but wanted an idea from one of you gguys
Old 11-22-14, 12:06 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

what is saying the error? youtube or this site? once you upload to youtube, just paste the link in the comment and you're set.
Old 11-22-14, 01:46 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...an-i-tell.html

Check the serpentine belt tensioner as mentioned in the above thread.
Old 11-22-14, 05:13 AM
Twoforzero
Driver School Candidate

Cool Go GO Harmonic balancer and mass air flow!

I had very similar problems (sc300 tho)

I agree with eknine9, haven't read that link but start by pulling your belt and investigate!! I checked the tensioner/pulley and my bearing was going but not that bad, slight "grainy" sound. Tension was fine. Wasn't satisfied.

Sooo...by accessories if you mean like turning your ac on you may want to pull the belt off and check your Harmonic Balancer. It might be skipping. The rubber that fails in between squeals when any excessive load such as using the Power steering, AC, or shifts in rpm will make it sound like a belt or p/s squeal. I believe this is also what caused my alternator to fail then eventually my maf went out(possibly unrelated and just failed over time as I do have 210k.) I thought it was my p/s and vacuum leak the whole time.

Replaced my HB which I found had come apart. Squeal AND Vibration GONE INSTANTLY!! Installed it along with a new gates belt, tensioner pulley (had to be done soon) and replaced alternator (regulator went out.)

Now for that ANNOYING IDLE ISSUE.
Couldn't fix above normal idle in P & N by playing with the tps or my throttle brackets or whatever you call them (where the throttle cables are held) without dropping down too low when I shifted into gear, almost stalling out at times. So after replacing vc gasket (I was there, had a slight leak so why not) plugs, wires, cap n rotor, and a thorough cleaning of the throttle body, iac valve, plenum butterfly, intake gaskets and replacing almost every vacuum line, I pulled the damn maf plug and nothing happened. I was suspicious. Bought a cheap used oem maf, replaced it, reset ecu and bam! No more weird idle issues! Still slightly higher cuz I played with the tps and throttle cable brackets earlier.

Tweaked both to where I felt comfy and now I have a steady idle at 850ish in P & N and when I shift into gear I drop to a steady 700.

Hope my experience helps! Have an awesome day!
Old 11-22-14, 11:20 AM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Sc400 noise: http://youtu.be/5Wd_lW8qm2w

Yay!
Old 11-22-14, 11:28 AM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Ok will start with pulling my belt and investigating. As for the idling. In All Gears (P, R, N, D 2, L) its always idled 0-150. Its never wanted to stall. Bought it like that, just figured the needle is off or something. Well actually maybe thats why I get the vibration/noise lol b/c it only does the noise when warmed up..

Originally Posted by Twoforzero
I had very similar problems (sc300 tho)

I agree with eknine9, haven't read that link but start by pulling your belt and investigate!! I checked the tensioner/pulley and my bearing was going but not that bad, slight "grainy" sound. Tension was fine. Wasn't satisfied.

Sooo...by accessories if you mean like turning your ac on you may want to pull the belt off and check your Harmonic Balancer. It might be skipping. The rubber that fails in between squeals when any excessive load such as using the Power steering, AC, or shifts in rpm will make it sound like a belt or p/s squeal. I believe this is also what caused my alternator to fail then eventually my maf went out(possibly unrelated and just failed over time as I do have 210k.) I thought it was my p/s and vacuum leak the whole time.

Replaced my HB which I found had come apart. Squeal AND Vibration GONE INSTANTLY!! Installed it along with a new gates belt, tensioner pulley (had to be done soon) and replaced alternator (regulator went out.)

Now for that ANNOYING IDLE ISSUE.
Couldn't fix above normal idle in P & N by playing with the tps or my throttle brackets or whatever you call them (where the throttle cables are held) without dropping down too low when I shifted into gear, almost stalling out at times. So after replacing vc gasket (I was there, had a slight leak so why not) plugs, wires, cap n rotor, and a thorough cleaning of the throttle body, iac valve, plenum butterfly, intake gaskets and replacing almost every vacuum line, I pulled the damn maf plug and nothing happened. I was suspicious. Bought a cheap used oem maf, replaced it, reset ecu and bam! No more weird idle issues! Still slightly higher cuz I played with the tps and throttle cable brackets earlier.

Tweaked both to where I felt comfy and now I have a steady idle at 850ish in P & N and when I shift into gear I drop to a steady 700.

Hope my experience helps! Have an awesome day!
Old 11-22-14, 12:07 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scRuss
Sc400 noise: http://youtu.be/5Wd_lW8qm2w

Yay!
Well I can tell you that is definitely NOT the harmonic balancer, and you're correct in saying it's not the power steering. I don't know what the belt tensioner sounds like when it goes out but hopefully somebody can chime in on that. I also remember reading somewhere here about the pulley bearings on the alternator going out and making a noise, but I had a hard time finding that when I searched. It's possible that could be the case, if so just remove the serp belt and try to manually rotate the alternator belt and see if it makes any noise or offers much resistance.
Old 11-22-14, 03:15 PM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Yes thank you. I will be checking after work tonight or in the morning. First going to adjust idle to spec, then proceed to the pulleys, tensioner, alternator bearing. Will keep yall posted

Originally Posted by eknine9
Well I can tell you that is definitely NOT the harmonic balancer, and you're correct in saying it's not the power steering. I don't know what the belt tensioner sounds like when it goes out but hopefully somebody can chime in on that. I also remember reading somewhere here about the pulley bearings on the alternator going out and making a noise, but I had a hard time finding that when I searched. It's possible that could be the case, if so just remove the serp belt and try to manually rotate the alternator belt and see if it makes any noise or offers much resistance.
Old 11-26-14, 08:29 PM
Twoforzero
Driver School Candidate

Ya disregard ny last post. I read mmmmm and thought squeal for some reason.

Anyways, ya it siunds like something is going on with your alternator. Espcially since you mention rpms being slightly assosiated AND when you turn your lights on, more load. Also, rpms are higher in p and n so thats prolly why its a lil louder then. I would have your alternator tested properly. Is it more noticeable only inside the vehicle? Do you have an aftermarket radio, subs or an amp? You could also have a grounding issue putting some added stress on your alternator. That added stress to the alternator, whatever it is be it bad ground, alt bearing, or belt is where i would guess the slight vibrations are coming from.

Hopefully this helped a bit more than my last post lol.
Old 12-06-14, 03:37 PM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Twoforzero
Ya disregard ny last post. I read mmmmm and thought squeal for some reason.

Anyways, ya it siunds like something is going on with your alternator. Espcially since you mention rpms being slightly assosiated AND when you turn your lights on, more load. Also, rpms are higher in p and n so thats prolly why its a lil louder then. I would have your alternator tested properly. Is it more noticeable only inside the vehicle? Do you have an aftermarket radio, subs or an amp? You could also have a grounding issue putting some added stress on your alternator. That added stress to the alternator, whatever it is be it bad ground, alt bearing, or belt is where i would guess the slight vibrations are coming from.

Hopefully this helped a bit more than my last post lol.
I adjusted my tps to spec, and that helped a bit with noise. Still idles att 0-150. Thats a different story tho..

Underneath , Inside and outside on the alternator side is where the noise is present.
yes I have a touch screen pironeer with wires for Sub and amp that i dont have or use. Even unplugged the fuse for the amp. I guess the next step would be checking the alternator as you said and pulleys. Thanks you your advice has been very helpful
Old 12-07-14, 04:35 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the heat shields. Mine made all sorts of noises before I took it off. It's easy to check, just look under the car right above the exhaust.
Old 12-07-14, 08:11 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

What it sounds like is your alternator bearing. When putting load on the alternator or power system, it makes that groaning. Get a screwdriver and put it on areas you think the noise is coming from and put your ear to the screwdriver and listen for the noise. Probably your alternator bearing IMO.