Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

to go jz or just stick with uz-fe

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 08:04 PM
sunny416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default to go jz or just stick with uz-fe

so i purchased a 95 sc400 in the summer. the previous owner bought it as a project car but never got around to it. he just wanted to do a cd009 manual swap. The car came with the following parts:

Arp Flywheel bolts
Arp extended wheel studs
Greddy magnetic oil drain plug
Nvus tech 15mm Hub centric wheel spacers (4)
Toronto Turbos 3" intercooler
Used SC400 welded diff
Used oem 92-94 front lip
Obx Headers w/manifold gaskets
cd009 350z/g35 transmission out of an 06' g35
B&M short shifter
Hayden Auto transmission cooler
No name 6spd shift ****
Lextreme black powdercoated supercharger fish bracket fir virtech v1 or v2(rare)
TRD front strut bar
Lex-Toy EGR delete kit
Lexus Parts Plus rebuilt ecu
Popformance custom climate control unit
Polyurethane steering rack bushings
Full oem manual clutch pedal assembly
oem clutch master cylinder
oem nissan 350z/g clutch slave cylinder
Collins Racing 1uz-cd001-9 tranny adapter plate
Collins Racing Clutch Release bearing
Collins Racing 1uz specific flywheel w/ stage 3 clutch kit
Collins Racing cd009 tranny mount & cross member to sc400 chassis
Collins Racing cd009 tranny slip yoke
Driftmotion Full length stainless steel clutch hose

so now my question is. if you were in my position would you sell all this and get a jz or just do the manual swap and call it a day.
PS: this is all the parts that are just sitting in my garage atm. i thought about selling them to get funds for the JZ but im really torn between the two.
Old 11-19-14, 08:15 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on how much money you'll get from all this, if you can get a GTE with all of that, by all means go for it, but if you only have enough for a GE just do the manual swap. That's just my opinion though.
Old 11-19-14, 08:36 PM
sunny416
Driver

has to be GTE. i mean is there even a point in swapping a uz for a ge
Old 11-19-14, 08:38 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You should keep the uz, and throw the stick shift in. You could either source the parts for the supercharger or sell the bracket and and build a turbo kit for it. The jz is cool but everyone builds up the jz motors.
Old 11-19-14, 08:41 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sunny416
has to be GTE. i mean is there even a point in swapping a uz for a ge
Heh, dumb of me for thinking otherwise. Some people like to do NA-T builds I guess. Anyway, if you fancy doing a lot of work to it, feel free to get a jz.
Old 11-20-14, 03:09 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maynanator
You should keep the uz, and throw the stick shift in. You could either source the parts for the supercharger or sell the bracket and and build a turbo kit for it. The jz is cool but everyone builds up the jz motors.
This. Just ask yourself how many Japanese manufacturers are still making V8 coupes anymore. And with a 5 speed, you're able to properly wring the hell outta the motor. BFI and a free-flowing exhaust and you'll have some real fun without sacrificing reliability in the least.
With a swap, you're just gonna wanna do....more!
Old 11-20-14, 07:29 AM
sfgsdfg999
Driver School Candidate

What are your power goals down the road? If your happy with the 1UZ's power do the manual swap. I don't think you'd break even selling those parts and buying all the stuff for a 1 or 2JZGTE swap.
Old 11-20-14, 12:03 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

some days i wish i had a SC400 cause im considering the CD009 for the 2jz i have.
Old 11-20-14, 08:25 PM
sunny416
Driver

Its an FE motor how much more can i really squeeze out of it?

Originally Posted by kbb
This. Just ask yourself how many Japanese manufacturers are still making V8 coupes anymore. And with a 5 speed, you're able to properly wring the hell outta the motor. BFI and a free-flowing exhaust and you'll have some real fun without sacrificing reliability in the least.
With a swap, you're just gonna wanna do....more!
yeah its very unique hence why im torn.

Originally Posted by sfgsdfg999
What are your power goals down the road? If your happy with the 1UZ's power do the manual swap. I don't think you'd break even selling those parts and buying all the stuff for a 1 or 2JZGTE swap.
i was hoping around 300ish hp, hence why i am debating about the swap, and im aware selling all this will not get me all the funds for the swap. id be lucky if i even get half way there.
Old 11-20-14, 08:38 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

A lot actually, there's rdm20fan running about 700hp on a stock block 1uz along with another guy running 640hp on an unopened motor. I know that kc95sc400 was running in the 12's with a supercharged sc400.

The only thing keeping you from making big hp is that you don't have the early model motor. The rods on the later motors are a bit thinner than the early 1uz.

Last edited by maynanator; 11-20-14 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-20-14, 09:30 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

A lot actually, there's rdm20fan running about 700hp on a stock block 1uz along with another guy running 640hp on an unopened motor. I know that kc95sc400 was running in the 12's with a supercharged sc400.

The only thing keeping you from making big hp is that you don't have the early model motor. The rods on the later motors are a bit thinner than the early 1uz.
Crap, what year did that start? I read all through lextreme and thought it was just the SC430 that went to super thin rods... Scaring me..

Edit: Never mind I found it, 95 and later are obviously skinnier, I wonder what they are rated at or have been abused to without failure?

Worst case, theres Forged H-Beam "Lextreme" rods for $675 shipped, or as pictures, just get an early model 1uz used set and they are interchangeable throughout all years.

http://www.lextreme.com/rods.html

Last edited by Kris9884; 11-20-14 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-20-14, 09:47 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Crap, what year did that start? I read all through lextreme and thought it was just the SC430 that went to super thin rods... Scaring me..

Edit: Never mind I found it, 95 and later are obviously skinnier, I wonder what they are rated at or have been abused to without failure?

Worst case, theres Forged H-Beam "Lextreme" rods for $675 shipped, or as pictures, just get an early model 1uz used set and they are interchangeable throughout all years.

I've read the "earlier 1UZs have stronger rods" statements numerous times, but that lextreme link is the first I've seen of supporting evidence. Is there more to it than that, i.e. strength measurements across the 1UZ line? Because if not, I'm calling time out on that logic! Thinner doesn't necessarily mean weaker. Newer technologies are capable of much greater strength with less mass, and less mass is always a good thing if it can be spared.
Old 11-20-14, 09:51 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kris9884

Worst case just pull an early 1uz from the junkyard for like $300 and build it up while it's out of the car.

I think as long as you are running stock injector kinda power you'll survive on stock rods.

If you do change motors I'd recommend a set of low compression headgaskets and some arp head studs before it goes into the car. That way you can push more boost without having to run e85 or you could run even higher boost with e85.
Old 11-21-14, 07:02 AM
sfgsdfg999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sunny416
Its an FE motor how much more can i really squeeze out of it?

yeah its very unique hence why im torn.

i was hoping around 300ish hp, hence why i am debating about the swap, and im aware selling all this will not get me all the funds for the swap. id be lucky if i even get half way there.
that JZ swap would be a lot of money for a little gain, swap the manual and go to soarercentral & soarerworld to research a supercharger kit. I know Bullitcars still sells M112 kits.
Old 11-21-14, 07:14 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if i had an SC400 I'd seriously consider doing a 350Z trans + ITB's and calling it a day. talk about a fun car.

Quick Reply: to go jz or just stick with uz-fe