SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY stubby antenna mast?

Old 11-13-14, 11:49 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts
Default DIY stubby antenna mast?

Has anyone converted their power antenna into a fixed/stubby mast without using stuff like MDX and S2000 parts that are very hard to come by ($100+ for the base)? I took my power antenna apart yesterday to see why it wasn't working. As expected, the nylon toothed cable was broken. Unexpectedly, the P.O. had unplugged the motor to keep it from whirring away for no reason. So, I ordered a new mast (only $9) to at least get it working again and see if I want to keep the stock setup.

Here's what I put in place in the mean time; just in time for the heavy rains:

I actually like that better than the silver lock nut thingie and antenna head sticking up higher... I used the factory top and underside mounts to secure the temporary plug, which got me to thinking. Is there any reason you couldn't use the upper portion of factory power assembly's metal shaft in conjunction with those top/underside mounts to build a fixed/stubby antenna? The main drawback of the S2000 mounts is they angle away from the car. Using the stock mount and a generic stubby mast (~$15) would eliminate that issue, and wouldn't have the overly blocky look of the MDX mounts.

Picture the post being cut just below the antenna cable plug, using the post to: a) secure the top/underside mounts, b) provide the cable connection, and c) hook up to the drain line down below. (Ignore the butchered old mast alongside it. Stupid thing didn't want to come apart to release the top nut from the dried out rubber sleeve.) The underside mount has the metal prongs that ground to the chassis. As long as whatever mast is used contacts the metal post, that's all the stereo needs for an antenna signal, right?

The metal post would need a plug and set screw of some sort for the screw-in stubby mast to attach to.

The stubbies have a 12V power connection to their base (search Honda part #39152-S6A-E01), which I assume is for boosting the signal. That could easily be pulled from the factory harness if desired.

To address an unanswered question I saw in one of the stubby antenna threads, no, the power antenna does not weigh 20 lbs! It does weigh a little over 2.5 lbs, though, which might be worth shedding if a fixed mast works well enough. With the motor contraption out of the way, that might also make for a nice little storage space for spare oil, coolant, etc. Shouldn't be too hard to fashion some elastic system to keep them from banging against the inner fender and doing damage.
Old 11-15-14, 02:52 AM
Slaker13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty interested in this too, Mine didn't work so I just removed it, everything attached to the mast (a greasy mess), filled the hole and extended the antenna and stuck it in the origin location sideways though. Works better in my opinion since it is extended, no movement or bad reception so far
Old 11-15-14, 05:18 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Interesting. I simply disconnected the motor and left the antenna down. Didn't seem to hurt the radio reception all that much.
Old 11-15-14, 07:06 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a universal one at a local parts store. Took a little modifying at the base but it worked out OK imo. Can't tell any difference in reception.

Attachment 347081

Last edited by Bankswood; 11-23-16 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-15-14, 08:34 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slaker13
I'm pretty interested in this too, Mine didn't work so I just removed it, everything attached to the mast (a greasy mess), filled the hole and extended the antenna and stuck it in the origin location sideways though. Works better in my opinion since it is extended, no movement or bad reception so far
I thought about trying something like that but wasn't sure how good the reception would be through the metal. Good to hear that's a viable Plan B.

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Interesting. I simply disconnected the motor and left the antenna down. Didn't seem to hurt the radio reception all that much.
I don't listen to a whole lot of radio, but it's nice to have as an option when I'm tired of listening to the same disc and too lazy to grab a new one. But, the reception here is pretty crummy. Even the main stations are weak signals with the antenna fully retracted. With the broken mast cable, I was able to pull it up manually last week and get decent reception. I have the diversity antenna adapters on the way for hooking in the rear glass antenna, so I'm hoping that the two will fill in the fairly sizable reception gaps, even if I end up going with a stubby mount.

Originally Posted by Bankswood
Bought a universal one at a local parts store. Took a little modifying at the base but it worked out OK imo. Can't tell any difference in reception.
That looks pretty good. Is it a swivel base to account for the angle, or is that the aspect that needed modifying?

BTW, I swung by Ace Hardware yesterday and found a $0.33 o-ring that's the perfect size for the silver top mounting nut thingie. My old one was cracked and I had a small rubber band that was a good fit, but I don't trust that to last long before breaking down to the elements.
Old 11-15-14, 10:50 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

There was a little adjustment built into the cap but I needed to grind / shave the base which you s inside the fender.
Old 11-17-14, 03:14 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
As long as whatever mast is used contacts the metal post, that's all the stereo needs for an antenna signal, right?
I did a quick test today while waiting for my new antenna mast. I put the stock assembly back in and connected the antenna plug but none of the power wiring, then slid the old mast in for some metal-on-metal contact. With the mast up only 12", reception went from lousy to almost perfect. So, I think cutting the top part of the post off and using it to attach a generic stubby antenna would be a viable alternative to using the power setup.

My replacement mast didn't come in today's mail, though, so now I have to put the temporary plug back in...
Old 11-19-14, 06:02 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

BTW, the test in the previous post was done with the rear window antenna disconnected. I hadn't gotten my diversity antenna adapters hooked up for it yet (they came in the mail that day).

I got the new power antenna mast today. After putting it all together, I was a bit disappointed to learn that it goes up any time my JVC head unit is turned on, regardless of whether or not the radio is selected. I don't listen to enough radio to want the antenna going up and down all the time, so I disconnected the power for the time being.... I'll need to figure out if the JVC outputs are wrong (i.e. a constant signal instead of a switched one), otherwise wire in a toggle switch to manually raise and lower the antenna.

Between the mast and window antennas, reception seems like it'll be plenty good even with the mast lowered, however.
Old 11-23-14, 03:30 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

I have hidden, in the trunk antenna, solves all those problems. Reception 90% as good as o.e. in the up position.
Old 11-23-14, 04:54 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigwhite
I have hidden, in the trunk antenna, solves all those problems. Reception 90% as good as o.e. in the up position.
Did you use a special antenna designed for internal use, or just a regular mast laid on its side?

I'm guessing it's not really anywhere near 90% as good as a fully extended external cable, though... doesn't really seem possible when enclosed in metal unless somehow using the car's body panels as a super antenna. Also, the data I've seen shows that anything below like 31" has a 1% signal loss for each 1" reduction in antenna length. So, putting it all together, I'm thinking yours is more like 20-30% as good, but the signals are strong enough in your area for that to not make a discernible difference. In other words, 40% of optimum effectiveness is sufficient to pull in a crystal clear signal.

Around here, 100% of optimum effectiveness is enough to pull in 75% of a perfect signal 50% of the time...
Old 11-23-14, 05:33 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Ive used these Metra universal replacement antennas before and they work great and look good also!! Its also amplified so no loss in reception.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...a-44-UA46.html
Old 11-23-14, 05:52 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

This is a store bought antenna that has a sticky pad and is attached to the fuel tank so I can faux shave the rear upper quarter panel as well. Also much lighter.
Attached Thumbnails DIY stubby antenna mast?-dscf3768.jpg  
Old 11-23-14, 07:07 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

IOWNALEXUS, read up on signal degradation of amplified antennas. "No signal loss" is an advertising myth.

bigwhite, the whole white thing is the antenna? That's pretty good length, at least. I could see that being within 10% of OEM length, which might actually support your 90% estimate. I'm curious about how it gets a comparably strong signal inside a metal enclosure, though... Will have to read up on that.
Old 11-23-14, 09:40 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by t2d2
IOWNALEXUS, read up on signal degradation of amplified antennas. "No signal loss" is an advertising myth.
Its just FM radio...its not that serious. I dont know where you live but im in a major city and signal loss isnt that big of a deal... a decent looking antenna is more important.
Old 11-23-14, 10:30 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IOWNALEXUS
Its just FM radio...its not that serious. I dont know where you live but im in a major city and signal loss isnt that big of a deal... a decent looking antenna is more important.
Why weigh in at all if you're in an area that doesn't lack for reception and you consider looks more important than radio signal? How is that at all pertinent to this thread?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY stubby antenna mast?