SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Went to the shop to get my heat fixed and the car looks like this 2 days later..

Old 11-10-14, 08:57 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Prepare yourself for rattles you've never heard before.

Someone had to say it.
Old 11-10-14, 09:24 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I mentioned that to him today. I seriously don't want rattles man......
Old 11-11-14, 09:51 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Prepare yourself for rattles you've never heard before.

Someone had to say it.
My god.... He's right Hopefully this won't bring it to the level of 3GS dash rattles
Old 11-11-14, 10:41 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

wow. at least you'll have heat in time for winter
Old 11-11-14, 12:52 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm on my fourth SC and the only heater failure I have ever encountered was the heater control valve. At times when my cars wouldn't heat a little coolant in the overflow tank always took care of it. I hope it wasn't something that simple to begin with. 68,000 mile car shouldn't have those issues. My 75,000 doesn't.

Shane
Old 11-11-14, 04:33 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SSmith
I'm on my fourth SC and the only heater failure I have ever encountered was the heater control valve. At times when my cars wouldn't heat a little coolant in the overflow tank always took care of it. I hope it wasn't something that simple to begin with. 68,000 mile car shouldn't have those issues. My 75,000 doesn't.

Shane
Shane,
It wasn't the core. It was the blend doors actuators. I get the feeling someone went behind the dash for something else and screwed up the doors somehow. I'll never know though. The lady who owned the car passed on.
I called the shop today and let them know, If I have new annoying sounds, I will ask them to fix it again. The car was silent (but cold) before and I want it to remain that way.
Old 11-11-14, 05:33 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You gotta dynamat those rattles out. Good luck with the car man, hopefully it's not too much. Having three of these cars though...you should really start trying to fix things yourself. Lol you have two backup SC's!
Old 11-11-14, 07:36 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Biddles
You gotta dynamat those rattles out. Good luck with the car man, hopefully it's not too much. Having three of these cars though...you should really start trying to fix things yourself. Lol you have two backup SC's!
Biddles,
You are right man but this was not a job to start with. I'll get there though man..... no doubt!

Thanks!
Old 11-11-14, 09:50 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm not a fan of using heavy sound deadening (dynamat) to quiet rattles that weren't there prior to weakening aged fasteners. That's an inefficient band-aid approach, IMO.
Old 11-12-14, 09:26 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Studio,

Heater control valve is under the hood. If it was your core you would have had coolant all in the floor board. Been there done that. Hard to figure out how the doors would have got bent. Hopefully they aren't trying to get to you. I had a shop try to pull almost the same thing on me on my red car until I did some research about the valve. Quoted me a $1,100.00 fix when all I needed was a little coolant in overflow for the valve to kick on.

Shane
Old 11-12-14, 05:31 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always do my homework first before I go to a shop, then I make sure they understand that I know the car well & will except no "FUNNY BUSINESS" Taught my Daughter the same way, but they still get her once in awhile, so I tend to fix her car most times. GEEK: if your comfortable with the shop & they've done you right before you should be OK. They fixture the crap out of these dashes from the factory so they don't rattle. Nothing like a fine country gal
Old 11-12-14, 05:55 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SSmith
Studio,

Heater control valve is under the hood. If it was your core you would have had coolant all in the floor board. Been there done that. Hard to figure out how the doors would have got bent. Hopefully they aren't trying to get to you. I had a shop try to pull almost the same thing on me on my red car until I did some research about the valve. Quoted me a $1,100.00 fix when all I needed was a little coolant in overflow for the valve to kick on.

Shane
Shane,
Unfortunately it is not the HCV, that is the first thing I checked. At what mileage did your heater core blow?
Thanks
Originally Posted by Ramblerman
I always do my homework first before I go to a shop, then I make sure they understand that I know the car well & will except no "FUNNY BUSINESS" Taught my Daughter the same way, but they still get her once in awhile, so I tend to fix her car most times. GEEK: if your comfortable with the shop & they've done you right before you should be OK. They fixture the crap out of these dashes from the factory so they don't rattle. Nothing like a fine country gal
Rambler,
I read everything I could find about my symptoms and posted questions here. I am the same way about my car. I research the issue and take them the parts for the job generally. I trust this shop and they know that I am a research addict. They have worked on two of my Sc's recently and usually charge a fair price for good work. The country gal will be back in shape soon. I am starting my two tone interior while she is in pieces.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Went to the shop to get my heat fixed and the car looks like this 2 days later..-all-3-angle-.jpg  
Old 11-12-14, 06:07 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

I gotta take the parts to the shop also, otherwise i'll wait forever to get my car back. She's the only one in the county. I have to drive at least 100 miles in any direction to get used parts, so she's getting alot of new stuff in her. I'm getting real good @ researching parts for this car. Thanks CL!
Old 11-12-14, 06:47 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Question

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
I gotta take the parts to the shop also, otherwise i'll wait forever to get my car back. She's the only one in the county. I have to drive at least 100 miles in any direction to get used parts, so she's getting alot of new stuff in her. I'm getting real good @ researching parts for this car. Thanks CL!
What country are you in?
Old 11-12-14, 10:26 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Sorry had to go beat the minions! Northwestern Pa. No Lexus dealer in Erie as its the closest large city near me. Buffalo/ Cleveland/ Pittsburgh/ Youngstown, ETC all a considerable drive to get to, Youngstown is 55 miles from me as that is where I work, but can't find crap for parts here. My car came out of Pittsburgh, but not to many of them there either so it seems. So far I've located 3 CL members on this side of Pa. 1 in Butler, 1 in Pitt (SC owners) I'm still looking. I've spent alot of time in the NYC area in the past so that is why i'm some what familiar with it. also LA & many spots in between. Gonna do it all again in the SC when she's ready. That interior is gonna look sharp against the red of the country gal. I do know of a black 95 SC 400 west coast car in Erie for sale for 2200. I don't think the guy is a club member & I've not checked out the car.