SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rear Turbo Build SC400

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 07:45 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maynanator
I know that you're really set on having a rear mount, but what if you did a low mount like in the pictures? You'd be surprised where a subaru td04 can fit (plus they're super cheap). Plus, for the budget you built out you could do it pretty easy (it's been done on a lexus before). I'll make a price list real quick.

turbos: 150-200 a piece (450 for ported and rebuilt ones)
piping for the exhaust: 100 (that's including the flanges needed to plumb in the downpipe
intercooler set up: 750 (that's with custom fabricated piping)
bov: 150
oiling set up: 150 (that's on the high side.
and lets say 250 for miscellaneous parts to add in later

With all of that you're still under 2 grand. with that you could use the rest for engine management tools.
Originally Posted by Black1UZ
So youre talking about a twin setup? I guess that could work...Im not sure where all that piping would go. Are there any detailed threads on this?
My buddy has a GTO running a twin turbo setup right along side his transmission and is making around 600 hp. (Right under his seat) You can run a small T25/T3 turbo under there no problem. The benefits of running turbos below near the engine is you can probably tap the engine and run oil feed lines not extremely far. One thing I've noticed with rear mount turbos is people often have to install a completely separate oil pump and tank to lube the turbos being so far away from the engine

You can probably use oil-less turbos but you will be spending much more money per turbo. Plus with the much smaller turbos, they have internal waste gates set at around 7-10 psi leaving you less likely to turn up the boost and blow up your engine. Most people I know that use these turbos are people who want a little more power with out the heavy modification and engine build

Last edited by NYKnick101; 11-14-14 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-14-14, 12:16 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

that would be the best bet, right by the tranny where the cats used to be. there's plenty of room there i think and you wouldn't need an oil pump for the turbos then.
Old 11-14-14, 12:26 PM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only question then is emissions....once the car is 25 years old it doesn't matter in NC, but it's only 23
Old 11-14-14, 02:00 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The only question then is emissions....once the car is 25 years old it doesn't matter in NC, but it's only 23
What sort of test do they run in NC? I know that even in Houston (some of the tightest emissions testing in texas) you can get away with missing a few catalytic converters so long as it still beats the sniffer and doesn't have any check engine lights.
Old 11-15-14, 06:26 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by maynanator
What sort of test do they run in NC? I know that even in Houston (some of the tightest emissions testing in texas) you can get away with missing a few catalytic converters so long as it still beats the sniffer and doesn't have any check engine lights.
You have to have cats here in NC, that was the other reason initially for the rear mount concept. But if I waitt until my car is 25 years old then it won't matter because it will fall into a different emissions category. But I want my power now
Old 11-15-14, 01:58 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

then just move the cats over behind the turbos.
Old 11-15-14, 03:51 PM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldManTan
then just move the cats over behind the turbos.
Thats a good idea really...Im still not sure about how the piping for twin turbos would work?
Old 11-15-14, 09:13 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Just put 1 were the california car's 3rd cat sits.
Old 11-16-14, 09:35 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

hope someone can pull this off , the sc400 platform really needs some help
Old 11-16-14, 10:10 PM
Penthos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
hope someone can pull this off , the sc400 platform really needs some help
Seriously Bro... I'm planning to do a non-front turbo setup too and so far info here has helped me. I'm thinking setting up the turbos in place of the primary cats seems like the cheapest, most reliable option
Old 11-17-14, 09:55 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Penthos
Seriously Bro... I'm planning to do a non-front turbo setup too and so far info here has helped me. I'm thinking setting up the turbos in place of the primary cats seems like the cheapest, most reliable option
What kinda turbos are you thinking about using? Do you wanna do a single or a twin setup?
Old 11-19-14, 09:09 AM
Penthos
Driver School Candidate

What kinda turbos are you thinking about using? Do you wanna do a single or a twin setup?
I'm gonna go with either the wrx td04's or t3's. Small and fast spool to get power lower in the spectrum, will probably clock around 8 psi max. Still researching but I'm hoping running the turbos at the primary cats will eliminate the need for a dedicated oil system? I'm not sure of any issues I may run into by tapping into the engine though.
Old 11-19-14, 10:46 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Penthos
I'm gonna go with either the wrx td04's or t3's. Small and fast spool to get power lower in the spectrum, will probably clock around 8 psi max. Still researching but I'm hoping running the turbos at the primary cats will eliminate the need for a dedicated oil system? I'm not sure of any issues I may run into by tapping into the engine though.
You can also tap into the pan. Ive seen it done on Nissan 300's and Mustangs too Im pretty sure.
Old 11-19-14, 11:19 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I like that setup of putting the turbos right behind the engine by the transmission....you could fit two small turbos back there........only problem is you need to have some fabrication skills....welding etc to be able to pull off a kit like that for under 4k...

Wonder if you could use stock twins from GTE and seperate the two turbos and run them on each side...since they came be found for cheap

I would definately rock a setup like that with a 5spd swap....would be alot of fun

I am surprised that there isn more twin turbo kits done on V8's.....all that exhaust pressure if perfect for spooling up turbos.....but most muscle cars are supercharged

Here is a setup on ls400:

Last edited by CatManD3W; 11-19-14 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-19-14, 03:36 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

I would say whatever turbo you get, make sure it's a journal bearing (subaru td04 comes to mind) they respond better to over pressuring the oil. I know that there's a kit for the oil feed for the 1uz,. As far as the drain, just tap the oil pan above the oil pickup. That should be a good oiling setup. As far as using gte turbos, I would think you'd run into issues controlling boost and fabricating brackets for them.

Quick Reply: Rear Turbo Build SC400