SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rear Turbo Build SC400

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-14, 06:57 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maynanator
I would say whatever turbo you get, make sure it's a journal bearing (subaru td04 comes to mind) they respond better to over pressuring the oil. I know that there's a kit for the oil feed for the 1uz,. As far as the drain, just tap the oil pan above the oil pickup. That should be a good oiling setup. As far as using gte turbos, I would think you'd run into issues controlling boost and fabricating brackets for them.
The TD04 turbos Im finding only support 280hp, maybe 300 if youre lucky.
Old 11-20-14, 07:14 AM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The idea of mounting the turbos but the trans is always a good one. But be very cautious of heat, you'll need to run a decent trans cooler to keep the trans temps down. Or find other ways of keeping the heat off of the trans. I've considered doing this type of setup and yes with turbo tech in this day making 800whp+ on some decent size twins is possible. Honestly your best best would be to get some vband turbos that way you would have to deal with less space issues. Good luck with this project would like to see it done.
Old 11-20-14, 08:33 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jacj3
The idea of mounting the turbos but the trans is always a good one. But be very cautious of heat, you'll need to run a decent trans cooler to keep the trans temps down. Or find other ways of keeping the heat off of the trans. I've considered doing this type of setup and yes with turbo tech in this day making 800whp+ on some decent size twins is possible. Honestly your best best would be to get some vband turbos that way you would have to deal with less space issues. Good luck with this project would like to see it done.
Vband cost a lot more. And anytime you up power on an engine mated to a A340 youre gonna need a trans cooler...and a shift kit is highly recommended.
Old 11-20-14, 09:04 AM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Black1UZ
The TD04 turbos Im finding only support 280hp, maybe 300 if youre lucky.
That's for each turbo... multiply it by 2 since it would be a twin turbo kit. You're looking at close to 600 hp. If you spend a bit extra for ported turbos you could see 700 hp. If you want to go single turbo get a holset hx40. The td04 is designed for a 2 liter motor which makes it perfect for one half of of the 1uz motor.

Last edited by maynanator; 11-20-14 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-20-14, 09:30 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by maynanator
That's for each turbo... multiply it by 2 since it would be a twin turbo kit. You're looking at close to 600 hp. If you spend a bit extra for ported turbos you could see 700 hp. If you want to go single turbo get a holset hx40. The td04 is designed for a 2 liter motor which makes it perfect for one half of of the 1uz motor.
Making that kinda power is gonna require tuning, fuel pump, injectors, full exhaust, and more. Thats a lot of money....
Old 11-20-14, 09:41 AM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Black1UZ
Making that kinda power is gonna require tuning, fuel pump, injectors, full exhaust, and more. Thats a lot of money....
I wasn't saying that you would be using all of that power. The td04 uses a 7 or 8 psi spring in the wastegate. That's about 400 hp on the 1uz. That can be done on stock injectors, tuning, and motor.
The nice thing is you can run a lot more power if you turn up the boost later. Don't try to run a smaller turbo though; if you do you'll have exceedingly high egts because the turbos are over working themselves just trying to keep the exhaust gasses flowing and they will be boosting out of throttle which isn't good for the motor.

tldr: run stock spring pressure on dual td04s and you have a really good turbo kit for an untouched 1uz.
Old 11-20-14, 02:46 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

In a remote mount setup why does it have to run all the way back to the engine? why cant it have its own little system that runs through an oil cooler?
Old 11-20-14, 04:25 PM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by PseudoK
In a remote mount setup why does it have to run all the way back to the engine? why cant it have its own little system that runs through an oil cooler?
I mean it could I guess but its another thing to maintain and youd have to have another oil reservoir...
Old 11-23-14, 09:31 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

honestly you are wasting time and money and asking for lots of headaches if you wanna do a rear mount turbo.. you only really need to do that if you have no room at all in the engine bay.. get piping made to merge the two banks into one and run a single pipe to the engine bay and up, mount a single turbo, run the piping back down and to the back of the car.. mounting turbos that low you need a scavenge pump that can pump HOT oil... the pump alone you are looking at like 300-550 bucks.. what a waste.. then you are getting two small turbos instead of one decent size one.
Old 11-26-14, 05:03 PM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
honestly you are wasting time and money and asking for lots of headaches if you wanna do a rear mount turbo.. you only really need to do that if you have no room at all in the engine bay.. get piping made to merge the two banks into one and run a single pipe to the engine bay and up, mount a single turbo, run the piping back down and to the back of the car.. mounting turbos that low you need a scavenge pump that can pump HOT oil... the pump alone you are looking at like 300-550 bucks.. what a waste.. then you are getting two small turbos instead of one decent size one.
A twin setup can support the low end power that I want. The TD04 spools very quickly, giving power around 2000 rpms. Plus, I'm going to have to buy a pump anyways and the difference in price isn't such a difference that I'd see it as a waste of money. Everyone has the idea it's just a simple fabrication of piping but in reality it's tricky to fit the piping around the engines in the SC. They are notorious for tiny engine bays. So a low mount twin setup requires simpler piping and delivers better performance....seems worth maybe a few extra bucks for a pump.