SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rear Turbo Build SC400

Old 11-12-14, 09:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

You do know that a rear mount turbo requires a high power electric pump on the oil drain to pump the oil back to the engine oil pan.
These are typically expensive and you want a quality one/setup otherwise as said above you cook the turbo or cause oil pressure issues elsewhere if something goes wrong.
If you don't have money for an intercooler you don't have money to do a rear mount turbo which requires a lot of custom welding/piping/routing and setup of the oil return system.

The one thing you can eliminate is the intercooler, but you are adding a bunch of other stuff, so just warning you the oil pump you will need will cost much more than an intercooler.
Remote mount is not a bad idea lots of motors with larger displacement like corvettes etc.. use it, but its not inexpensive.
also a good way to boost a 1uz in a sc400 is the fish supercharger bracket if you haven't heard of it.
Old 11-12-14, 10:24 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
You do know that a rear mount turbo requires a high power electric pump on the oil drain to pump the oil back to the engine oil pan.
These are typically expensive and you want a quality one/setup otherwise as said above you cook the turbo or cause oil pressure issues elsewhere if something goes wrong.
If you don't have money for an intercooler you don't have money to do a rear mount turbo which requires a lot of custom welding/piping/routing and setup of the oil return system.

The one thing you can eliminate is the intercooler, but you are adding a bunch of other stuff, so just warning you the oil pump you will need will cost much more than an intercooler.
Remote mount is not a bad idea lots of motors with larger displacement like corvettes etc.. use it, but its not inexpensive.
also a good way to boost a 1uz in a sc400 is the fish supercharger bracket if you haven't heard of it.
The oil pump will come from the STS Rear Turbo kit (Roughly $1000 for the pump and BOV). I have seen the bracket you are talking about from Lextreme I think. It seems good, but it still requires the battery to be relocated. Which isnt a big deal but then you get into more engine clutter and overall heat which leads to faster engine degredation. And on a 24 year old car that is your worst enemy.

Last edited by Black1UZ; 11-12-14 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Needed to add stuff
Old 11-12-14, 10:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I don't think the supercharger is too crowded and most people put the battery in the trunk anyways.
I wouldn't worry about heat as much as someone taking a sawzall to your exhaust and taking your turbo (I think the spare tire area was probably used for that reason).
Still I would like to see the remote mount setup, good luck let us know how it goes.
Old 11-12-14, 01:55 PM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I don't think the supercharger is too crowded and most people put the battery in the trunk anyways.
I wouldn't worry about heat as much as someone taking a sawzall to your exhaust and taking your turbo (I think the spare tire area was probably used for that reason).
Still I would like to see the remote mount setup, good luck let us know how it goes.
Lol hadn't thought of that one....sounds like a good way to get a turbo. My only question about putting it in the spare tire well was would heat from the turbo building up in that area...and would that would probably make my trunk unusable which is a problem. And the fact that I wouldn't have a spare tire...
Old 11-12-14, 02:27 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

You can get an universal intercooler and piping from cxracing from around $200-250......

If you cant afford an intercooler why are you going to turbo the 1uz.....doesnt make sense to skimp on parts if you dont have the money to due it right to begin with...

Turbocharging any car is expensive....IMO id save up more money
Old 11-12-14, 03:36 PM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
You can get an universal intercooler and piping from cxracing from around $200-250......

If you cant afford an intercooler why are you going to turbo the 1uz.....doesnt make sense to skimp on parts if you dont have the money to due it right to begin with...

Turbocharging any car is expensive....IMO id save up more money
I can afford one its just....I want to try this. Its something new, and if I can find a easy way to turbo the 1UZ then it could make way for a whole new wave of turbo V8s. And we all know that would be pretty cool
Old 11-12-14, 06:12 PM
njwong
Rookie

Black1uz here's a vid of the Aussie guys soarer on the dyno. Unfortunately there's no number of HP or torque.

Old 11-12-14, 06:39 PM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by njwong
Black1uz here's a vid of the Aussie guys soarer on the dyno. Unfortunately there's no number of HP or torque.
Thats quite inspiring haha
Old 11-13-14, 12:21 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by njwong

http://youtu.be/Qjp4i5ku4rs
Originally Posted by Black1UZ
Thats quite inspiring haha
He made 375rwhp @ 12psi with supposedly 600 lb ft of torque.

He did have some oiling issues. I believe oil was not draining back quite as fast as it should have been. I think he has resolved the issue now

http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...tml?1375612140
Old 11-13-14, 06:25 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by czar07
He made 375rwhp @ 12psi with supposedly 600 lb ft of torque.

He did have some oiling issues. I believe oil was not draining back quite as fast as it should have been. I think he has resolved the issue now

http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...tml?1375612140
Thanks, I was searching for this thread for some time now. This is basically what I want to do, except on a stock ECU (hopefully) and probably less boost. Now that the tricky piping has been done once I would thing that a good welder would be able to replicate this? Does anyone have any estimate on how much such a fabrication might cost?
Old 11-13-14, 06:34 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

This will show my turbo ignorance, but why can't a turbo have a sealed oil system like a supercharger? Is heat that much more of an issue? If some model of turbo could be sealed, that would sure simplify the remote mount requirements.
Old 11-13-14, 07:59 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
This will show my turbo ignorance, but why can't a turbo have a sealed oil system like a supercharger? Is heat that much more of an issue? If some model of turbo could be sealed, that would sure simplify the remote mount requirements.
Do you mean like the Prochargers that are self lubricating? I've never heard of a self lubricating turbo, and heat is the reason for oiling systems....otherwise youre going to fry your turbo. The oiling system is actually probably the easiest part of the whole setup...its just braided lines and you can tap into the oil pan if you want to.
Old 11-13-14, 09:38 AM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I know of at least one turbo that has a sealed oiling system (aerocharger). Also, I believe there's a company that retrofits sealed cartridges to turbo center sections.
Old 11-13-14, 10:34 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by maynanator
I know of at least one turbo that has a sealed oiling system (aerocharger). Also, I believe there's a company that retrofits sealed cartridges to turbo center sections.
Phew, it wasn't a stupid question.

Originally Posted by Black1UZ
Do you mean like the Prochargers that are self lubricating? I've never heard of a self lubricating turbo, and heat is the reason for oiling systems....otherwise youre going to fry your turbo. The oiling system is actually probably the easiest part of the whole setup...its just braided lines and you can tap into the oil pan if you want to.
Easy maybe, but risk and reliability are major issues, from what I've read. Without the proper input/output oil pressure tuning, you fry the turbo. And with anything gone wrong at the turbo end, you risk running the engine dry. Simplify that aspect and it seems like you should be able to build a pretty reliable system.
Old 11-13-14, 10:35 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by maynanator
Are they reliable and would heat still be an issue? Seems like the turbo wouldn't be able to cool its self without some way of cycling fluid through it that wasn't already hot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Turbo Build SC400