Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

98sc300 Gated shifter NO O/D wtf?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-14, 05:32 PM   #1
mojosc300
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
mojosc300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 17
Default 98sc300 Gated shifter NO O/D wtf?

Hello all, I have searched up and down but found nothing on this, all the positions P R N 3 2 L work fine, the lights on the cluster light-up but when I put the shifter in D, it does not light up and it down shifts to a LOWER gear than 3! instead of going into overdrive...???? is there something wrong with the shifter it self? I do have an AEM V-1 standalone.
Any help will be greatly appreciated....Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
mojosc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 04:16 PM   #2
mojosc300
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
mojosc300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 17
Default

Come on people, sure somebody can help me out pleeeeease!
mojosc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 05:35 PM   #3
Photon440
Pole Position
Trader Score: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cloverdale, BC Canada
Posts: 304
Default

Did you just put the shifter in and it's like this, or was it working earlier and suddenly the problem arose?
__________________
-==Faster is Better==-
Photon440 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 06:43 PM   #4
mojosc300
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
mojosc300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 17
Default

The 98 came with a gated shifter so it's the OEM not a retrofit, I'm wondering if there is something wrong inside the shifter itself ( switches )? also while in ( D ) how many shifts do you count including the overdrive is it 3 or 4-shifts so you know you are in O/D even if nothing lights up in the cluster indicator?..
Thanks!
mojosc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 09:07 PM   #5
Photon440
Pole Position
Trader Score: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cloverdale, BC Canada
Posts: 304
Default

There is a switch inside the shifter mechanism that is pushed when you move the shift handle to the left (3) and it stays pressed in second gear as well, but is released in 1st. This is the 'overdrive off' switch. Are you saying that when you go from third to fourth, it actually wants to shift back to second?
__________________
-==Faster is Better==-
Photon440 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 09:14 PM   #6
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (14)
 
97-SC300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,069
Default

Sounds to me like it's a perfect time to do a 5-spd swap.

If you have an AEM, then you probably have a turbo...so that POS auto won't last long anyway.
__________________


1997 SC300 Platinum/Black | 2JZGTE | 550CC | USDM cams/turbos | V160 | 6spd 3.13 Diff | PHR 3.5" one-piece driveshaft | PHR 4" Custom Exhaust | RMM DP | RPS Twin Carbon | Mines ECU | Cusco Zero2e Coilovers | Daizen Sway Bars | TSX HID Retrofit | Brembo GT 6/piston front | TT rear BBK | Work Meister S1-CCW Classics | TT Radiator | Katzkin Seats | Vertex Side Markers | Dynamat equipped
97-SC300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 11:58 AM   #7
Mr. Klean
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)
 
Mr. Klean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 364
Default

I agree with 97-SC300...mine as well do the swap....the auto is on its way out one way or another...you'll be MUCH happier- trust me
__________________

'93.5 Supra TT HARDTOP/6spd
'10 GS 350 /Smoky Granite Mica/ML/NAVI/PA/ etc. etc. (sold)
'97 SC300 2JZGTE, 6spd, AutoCouture, etc. (sold)
'99 SC300 bone stock black on black
Mr. Klean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 04:31 PM   #8
mojosc300
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
mojosc300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon440 View Post
There is a switch inside the shifter mechanism that is pushed when you move the shift handle to the left (3) and it stays pressed in second gear as well, but is released in 1st. This is the 'overdrive off' switch. Are you saying that when you go from third to fourth, it actually wants to shift back to second?
Yes, when I move the shifter from 3 to the right ( D ) it actually down shifts and the indicator shows it in 3, checked the shifting rod and all the positions line-up correctly, with the shifter in 3, I count 3-shifts which is fourth gear but there is NO shift into overdrive. How many shifts do you count at cruising when your shifter is in D?
mojosc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 04:34 PM   #9
mojosc300
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
mojosc300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-SC300 View Post
Sounds to me like it's a perfect time to do a 5-spd swap.

If you have an AEM, then you probably have a turbo...so that POS auto won't last long anyway.
Correct but, my tranny is built with a 3700-speed converter and other than this possible issue and
fuel consumption, it's a blast
mojosc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 04:38 PM   #10
mojosc300
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
mojosc300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Klean View Post
I agree with 97-SC300...mine as well do the swap....the auto is on its way out one way or another...you'll be MUCH happier- trust me
Thanks but, not an option at this time, extremely happy with it except for this issue.
mojosc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 07:40 AM   #11
Jacj3
Pole Position
Trader Score: (3)
 
Jacj3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 331
Send a message via AIM to Jacj3
Default

Take your od wires close as you can to the switch and cut them. They should be green... I think the two wires on the shifter should be white. Connect those wires. That's the best I can offer I'll have to find the old pictures i have.
__________________
95 SC400 No JZ: Borg Warner S475/TTC/Lextreme/AEM.... and a bottle Let's see what this thing will do.
06 Chrysler 300c SRT8: STOLEN
Jacj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 09:41 AM   #12
mojosc300
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
mojosc300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacj3 View Post
Take your od wires close as you can to the switch and cut them. They should be green... I think the two wires on the shifter should be white. Connect those wires. That's the best I can offer I'll have to find the old pictures i have.
Thanks, I have not taken the shifter apart but from what you guys are saying, it sounds like there's a multi-switch in there that's activated by the shifter that's possibly causing the problem. If that's correct, does anybody know what it's called and maybe a part number?...Thanks again!
mojosc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-14, 12:34 AM   #13
Photon440
Pole Position
Trader Score: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cloverdale, BC Canada
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojosc300 View Post
Yes, when I move the shifter from 3 to the right ( D ) it actually down shifts and the indicator shows it in 3, checked the shifting rod and all the positions line-up correctly, with the shifter in 3, I count 3-shifts which is fourth gear but there is NO shift into overdrive. How many shifts do you count at cruising when your shifter is in D?
Fourth gear IS overdrive on that transmission. 3rd gear is direct.
__________________
-==Faster is Better==-
Photon440 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-14, 05:12 PM   #14
mojosc300
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
mojosc300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon440 View Post
Fourth gear IS overdrive on that transmission. 3rd gear is direct.
So from a stand still I start accelerating and I count 3-up-shifts, am I in overdrive no matter where
the shifter is positioned or what the cluster readout ( P R N D 3 2 L ) shows or doesn't show? Thanks!
mojosc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-14, 08:27 PM   #15
Rhoderman
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CO
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojosc300 View Post
So from a stand still I start accelerating and I count 3-up-shifts, am I in overdrive no matter where
the shifter is positioned or what the cluster readout ( P R N D 3 2 L ) shows or doesn't show? Thanks!
You should feel 4 shifts. L - 2 - 3 - OD. You may also feel the torque converter lock up.
If you lock it in 3, you will only feel 3 up-shifts.
__________________
1996 FZJ80
2000 SC300
Rhoderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-14, 08:27 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Dash "D" light when in Drive RX3Hundred RX - First Generation 13 02-16-13 06:15 PM
DIY Shifter Light Sultan99 RX - First Generation 3 01-14-13 01:55 PM
replace bulb Center Console Shifter cyguy IS - First Generation 0 11-08-12 12:32 AM
W58 shifter bushings 92-94 sc300 2JTsc300 Performance & Maintenance 3 02-05-12 09:28 AM
Gated shifter conversion shift problem SC1984 SC 400/300 15 07-09-11 11:29 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:01 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info