SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Beautiful Original 5-speed... SIDESWIPED

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 05:14 PM
soarrabun
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

doesnt look to bad, dont sweat it. they will try to total it out, easier for them, just fight it.

i look at the pic and i see some mountains in background, must be nice to live in such a nice geographic area.
Old 11-08-14, 02:55 PM
hsokhi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys.

They made an offer of a $5000 or $4500 to keep the car. I had to fight it and justify the cars value as more because of its rarity. I sent them the official production numbers from the Lexus website and a bunch of auto trader ads.

They called me back with a reevaluation, and raised the offer to $6150 if I keep the car.

But from now until forever it will be a salvage title...
Old 11-08-14, 04:01 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hsokhi
Thanks for the advice guys.

They made an offer of a $5000 or $4500 to keep the car. I had to fight it and justify the cars value as more because of its rarity. I sent them the official production numbers from the Lexus website and a bunch of auto trader ads.

They called me back with a reevaluation, and raised the offer to $6150 if I keep the car.

But from now until forever it will be a salvage title...
Are you sure about the salvage title??? I think you only get a salvage title if the insurance company totals it and you(or somebody else) then buys it from the insurance company to either fix or part out.

IE if they pay to fix it, it should not get a salvage title. BTW, how many miles were on it?
Old 11-09-14, 02:43 AM
aussie2013
Driver School Candidate

Not good , hope it is repaired up to standard.
Old 11-09-14, 07:40 AM
hsokhi
Rookie

The insurance company will not pay to fix it because the cost to repair (they estimated $6,200 for repair) is greater than 90% of the market value if the car. I'm going to have $6,150 after I buy back the car because I'm going to repair it myself. The damage isn't too too bad.

Just gonna need a used steering rack, new tires, used fender, possibly a used door, and have a proffesional do the paint and bodywork.

(Pm me if someone can help me with these parts!)

I figured with the cash I save from doing the labor myself I'll buy some goodies like a limited slip diff and maybe get my rims repaired and widened.

Hopefully no other ugly problems come up while trying to fix it....
Old 11-09-14, 07:41 AM
hsokhi
Rookie

I bought the car around 90,000 and it only had a 132,000 on it when my original oem paint met the negligent big rig driver
Old 11-09-14, 08:24 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry about your ride, but definately it's a keeper at any cost!!!
Keep the car as long as you can get it legally on the road, fix it and drive that baby
Old 11-09-14, 11:06 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I would get a new steering rack and the rest used if I were you. That's not something you want to leave to chance my friend. The salvage title shouldn't matter if you plan to keep it for the rest of your life or longer

Good luck with the search!
Old 11-09-14, 01:53 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Due to rarity some states will re title a car if it has been restored. Kind of like building a hot rod from the junkyard. I know in MN we have Rebuilt titles which are Salvages brought back to useable condition. But it still wont ever say clean.
Old 11-09-14, 02:13 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Get a rebuilt steering rack; they are cheaper than "new" from Toyota and often come with a "Life Time" warranty versus the 12 months for new. Did that on my '92 and it worked out great.

Take the money and get your ride repaired... The salvage title should not be an issue for anyone down the road that really wants the car....(if you ever sell it...).
Old 12-20-14, 08:32 AM
hsokhi
Rookie

Default Update

UPDATE

so after a 3 weekends of running to dealerships and junkyards I got my car roadworthy. The alignment guys said it lined up great, it drives straight. ALMOST back to perfect driving condition. I had to get a reman rack, a new knuckle assembly, new tierods, and some random things like bolts and stuff. My window regulator also shattered apart during this whole repair process so that was an unexpected repair. But now I can enjoy my ride again. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure
Attached Thumbnails Beautiful Original 5-speed... SIDESWIPED-image.jpg  
Old 12-20-14, 08:34 AM
hsokhi
Rookie

I love canyon runs!
Although I can't wait to get it pristine again, it still looks kinda cool... With the battle scars and all...
Old 12-20-14, 08:39 AM
hsokhi
Rookie

Check out the messed up parts
Old 12-20-14, 08:41 AM
hsokhi
Rookie

Ever seen a bent knuckle?
Old 12-20-14, 08:45 AM
hsokhi
Rookie

So all I have left to do is transfer all my driver door parts onto the new/used door, still gotta find a fender at the pick a parts, get my supra chromies repaired, and in unrelated news my check engine light came on. Not sure how I'm gonna diagnose that. Still drives strong though.

And one more problem, I have no powersteering only when turning left. I think I need to take advantage of my reman rack warranty

I'm at $1000 for cost of repairs so far

Quick Reply: Beautiful Original 5-speed... SIDESWIPED