Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC400 suspension. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 11:33 AM
SC4TW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 suspension. What would you do?

New owner here, first post too.
I just purchased a '94 SC400, RJP, 102000 miles, great cosmetic and mechanic condition overall.
I am planning to keep this car at for least 7-10 years, maybe longer.
Here is the issue: I am sure nothing has ever been done to the steering/suspension areas of the car. I have some vibration above 65mph, and a excesive buncing. Most likely the LCA bushings are gone, shocks too.
Given the condition of the car, and the long term plan, what would you replace?
Only bushings (if ball joint are OK), and shocks??
Full new front? Bearings+seals+UCA+LCA+tie rods+link+shocks+springs.....
Thanks guys!
Old 10-20-14, 12:28 PM
Yohan84
Driver

Originally Posted by SC4TW
New owner here, first post too.
I just purchased a '94 SC400, RJP, 102000 miles, great cosmetic and mechanic condition overall.
I am planning to keep this car at for least 7-10 years, maybe longer.
Here is the issue: I am sure nothing has ever been done to the steering/suspension areas of the car. I have some vibration above 65mph, and a excesive buncing. Most likely the LCA bushings are gone, shocks too.
Given the condition of the car, and the long term plan, what would you replace?
Only bushings (if ball joint are OK), and shocks??
Full new front? Bearings+seals+UCA+LCA+tie rods+link+shocks+springs.....
Thanks guys!
If I was you I would replace the shocks with a one piece coilover kit. And sound like you need to replace both upper and lower control arm bushings as well.
Old 10-20-14, 12:33 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm keeping two of my SC's until they die most likely. Personally, I just did it all because I don't like front end parts going while I'm driving or away. I'd do fresh LCA, shocks, mounts, steering rack bushings, end links, tie rods, sway bar bushings and add poly bushings to everything. I'd just do poly bushings on the UCA as they rarely go bad. Then a fresh alignment. Then you can sleep well.....
You may not need the full LCA, but while you are in there doing the shocks or coilovers, you might as well get it done.
Old 10-20-14, 01:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Welcome to CL, moving this to the suspension sub-forum. Please try and use the right forum in the future.
Shocks, supra lca's, and steering rack bushings are a must on every SC with vibration. everything else studiogeek mentioned is also a good idea while in there but they tend to wear out less. most leave uppers stock.
Old 11-08-14, 05:58 AM
SC4TW
Driver School Candidate

I guess buying the car was just the price of admission..
I decided to go the "replace everything" route because I can easily myself driving this car for many, many years...
So far the only thing I did to the car is a fresh window tint. But that is 3M Crystalline all the way around including windshield and sunroof!
And I have a big pile of brand new parts in my garage to install next week: Supra LCAs, OEM outer and inner tie rods, tie rod boots, shock mounts, bumpers and insulators front and back, stabilizer bar bushings, links, Tokico HP shocks, and Tanabe NF210 springs.
All that would not do justice to the car without new shoes, so I got mint zero miles take off IS350 staggered rims (74238/74239). They are about to get wrapped with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. 225/45r18 255/40r18.
Then, in another box I have all OEM timing belt, water pump, iddlers, seals, thermostat, drive belt, spark plugs, wires, distributors, rotors and a few other goodies
All this is way more than I paid for the car itself..
No regrets!
Old 11-08-14, 04:33 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do all that, + engine and tranny mounts as well. The car will feel like new, smooth as silk, once these are done
Old 11-09-14, 08:30 AM
SC4TW
Driver School Candidate

I was ready to do the transmission, might as well do all mounts. 20 years is a lot of time for weight + vibration.
Old 11-09-14, 02:52 PM
canman44
Rookie

I need to replace my front LCA's on a 1992 SC400. I was wondering where you got your Supra LCA's from? You decided not to just replace the bushings in your stock ones? I have heard that is a real pain in the a$$.
Old 11-09-14, 03:08 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Wow, that's quite an introductory month's worth of maintenance items!
Old 11-09-14, 04:13 PM
SC4TW
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, a lot of things! The best part? Wifey doesn't know yet! 👍
Supra LCAs came from eBay.
Old 11-10-14, 12:47 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sounds like the car will get some much needed love, good luck with the installs and keep us posted.
Old 11-20-14, 08:38 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Do all that, + engine and tranny mounts as well. The car will feel like new, smooth as silk, once these are done
I was just going to say the same thing. I can promise you these are in need of replacement. Also, the SC400 has two rubber flex disks on the driveshaft. They are essentially bushings and they are so often overlooked. Inspect them for cracks. If they have cracks, replace them. Just beware they are not cheap. The Lexus brand will run you upwards of $250 each. I bought the Toyota supra equivalent for $154 each. Vibration issues are a plaque on SC400's so good luck and welcome aboard! Once you get it sorted out it will a super smooth highway cruiser.
Old 03-10-15, 09:33 PM
BobaPhet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC4TW
I guess buying the car was just the price of admission..
I decided to go the "replace everything" route because I can easily myself driving this car for many, many years...
So far the only thing I did to the car is a fresh window tint. But that is 3M Crystalline all the way around including windshield and sunroof!
And I have a big pile of brand new parts in my garage to install next week: Supra LCAs, OEM outer and inner tie rods, tie rod boots, shock mounts, bumpers and insulators front and back, stabilizer bar bushings, links, Tokico HP shocks, and Tanabe NF210 springs.
All that would not do justice to the car without new shoes, so I got mint zero miles take off IS350 staggered rims (74238/74239). They are about to get wrapped with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. 225/45r18 255/40r18.
Then, in another box I have all OEM timing belt, water pump, iddlers, seals, thermostat, drive belt, spark plugs, wires, distributors, rotors and a few other goodies
All this is way more than I paid for the car itself..
No regrets!
This is my first post and this was exactly what I was looking for!... My first sc400... '93, Got it about two
weeks ago, im the second owner and only has 113k miles!

Btw, how is the drop of the tanabe springs? My wife will also be driving the car so I didn't want to go a big drop.

I'm surprised on the lack of suspension upgrades for the sc! But I see a lot of members changing to the supra control arms for more mods.