SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Window regulator stuck UP wont go down

Old 10-16-14, 10:20 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Window regulator stuck UP wont go down

My 95 SC400 has a minor issue. I purchased it recently knowing the window wasnt functional. Bought a new regulator, thought i'd test the new regulator before installing it. Nothing. Then all at once it went up...but not down. I thought "bad switch" so I went to my 92 SC and borrowed the switch from there...same thing. Window will go UP but there is absolutely no power going DOWN. Connections look good, I assume it would be a wiring issue? Please chime in! My car is in pieces right now...at least the passengers side is, I need this fixed.

Thanks
Old 10-16-14, 10:43 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Same thing with the existing "faulty" regulator. Both my new and used regualtor only go UP, or rather, the one inside the door already tries to go up, I can hear the motor (since the window is all the way up) just wont go down in any instances...?
Old 10-16-14, 09:56 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try some electronics part cleaner / Spray, its probably not making a electrical connection somewhere or your probably got a short somewhere.
Old 10-16-14, 10:49 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Wouldn't the electrical connection be the same for up and down, just a reversed signal? I'm thinking it has something to do with whatever the gear arrangement is. (Is that part of the regulator?) Like, a gear is slipping in one direction but not the other. That or its at the end of its adjustment range and the window is in the wrong corresponding position on the track. I had that happen with my passenger seatback tilt motor. I thought the motor was dead because it wouldn't go either direction. It turned out that it was "dead" in the all the way forward position, so no motor action going that direction, and the switch had melted contacts in the reverse direction. The motor worked all along but it wasn't at all obvious until tearing everything apart.
Old 10-17-14, 07:14 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Try some electronics part cleaner / Spray, its probably not making a electrical connection somewhere or your probably got a short somewhere.
Wouldn't hurt to try...
Originally Posted by t2d2
Wouldn't the electrical connection be the same for up and down, just a reversed signal? I'm thinking it has something to do with whatever the gear arrangement is. (Is that part of the regulator?) Like, a gear is slipping in one direction but not the other. That or its at the end of its adjustment range and the window is in the wrong corresponding position on the track. I had that happen with my passenger seatback tilt motor. I thought the motor was dead because it wouldn't go either direction. It turned out that it was "dead" in the all the way forward position, so no motor action going that direction, and the switch had melted contacts in the reverse direction. The motor worked all along but it wasn't at all obvious until tearing everything apart.
2 things I should mention, I used the working swithc from the 92 (so both switches are working, no down function) and I also connected my "new" regulator, did the same thing, with both switches. Would go up, but absolutely no power going down. Doesnt whine, squeak, grind, whistle, or anything like that, just doesnt do anything. Window lock is off...

Thanks for the replies
Old 10-17-14, 10:47 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Found chiken's resto-thread and got a picture of a bropken wire from the master switch. I might dig around and look for a broken wire in the door jam. Master doesnt work at all, passengers side switch only works when master is plugged in.
Old 10-17-14, 01:54 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Don't know what to do from here...should I just replace the regulator and see what happens? All wires seem completely fine and nobody has been screwing around with the harnesses. Though, there was an aftermarket speaker, just one, mounted directly beside the brake pedal...odd...? There is also a green wire that was crammed underneath a fuse inside the fuse block in the kick panel...traced it back to the door locks...

While the panel was off, I re inforced it with super glue and now it's stronger than ever!
Old 10-17-14, 02:47 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Does this look normal? Looks like somebody has been in here before me. Green wire with the white striper goes right to the master switch...what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Window regulator stuck UP wont go down-img_0802.jpg  
Old 10-17-14, 03:30 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

So I cracked open the harness to find a piece of frayed wire. It is white and red...any idea what this goes to? I can't get underneath the rubber unless I tear it.

Input appreciated!
Old 10-17-14, 04:50 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

It looks like that green/white wire was just spliced back to itself, maybe after it split from age and wear? If you have another frayed wire, that makes me think there's a common ground between the master and passenger switches, so the pass. side doesn't work without the drivers side connected. But, that still wouldn't explain why the drivers side doesn't work, period.
Old 10-17-14, 06:05 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by t2d2
It looks like that green/white wire was just spliced back to itself, maybe after it split from age and wear? If you have another frayed wire, that makes me think there's a common ground between the master and passenger switches, so the pass. side doesn't work without the drivers side connected. But, that still wouldn't explain why the drivers side doesn't work, period.
So it is fixed. Window works...it's slow but it works!

So here is what I did. Removed the door panel, removed the speaker assembly and the plastic behind it, pushed the harness rubber boot through the door outside by the hinge, I peeled back the tape and rubber boot (without tearing it) went as far as I could, all looked fine, went to the side of the harness closest to the firewall, open it up and lo and behold, there is a frayed wire, red and white, actually it was a 2 inch piece all by itself, so I looked all over the place for the same white and red wire on the other side so I could track it back and splice it back together, found out that another different coloured wire was spliced to this red and white wire...weird, but it's spliced and working.

So if everyone doesnt wanna read that jabber, the issue was broken red/white wire in the drivers side harness.

Also another fact, if the master switch isn't plugged in, the passengers side switch wont work at all...learn new things everyday.

Thanks for the input all.

Picture below of what I found.
Attached Thumbnails Window regulator stuck UP wont go down-img_0804.jpg  
Old 10-17-14, 08:54 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup looks like a short, do not leave any wires ripped open and exposed, tape or heat shrink for long lasting connection. If its slow you may still have a weak connection somewhere within the wires, also check fuses or relays. Glad you got it worked out tho.

Last edited by Joey-E; 10-17-14 at 08:58 PM.