SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-14, 08:49 AM
chason
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this a good deal?

Trying to find something for my girlfriend, I've stumbled upon a 1992 SC400, 8/10 condition, 90k miles, for $4000.

The only problem is that it doesn't start reliably. Guy says it's the fuel pump. When it doesn't start, it turns over, and tries to start. He leaves it alone for a while, comes back, and it starts instantly, like it should.

So, to me, that sounds like trash in the fuel pump / fuel lines. Hundreds of threads here saying ECU / fuel ECU. I feel like the odds are in my favor that it's something simple like that, based on how many other people have the same problem. What's the worst possible scenario? Is it worth taking a gamble on?

If it's an easy fix, and the car is as reliable as my SC300 has been over the last 100k miles, than I'll be happy.

Going to look at it later this evening, any input is appreciated
Old 10-09-14, 09:34 AM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I feel like its something fairly simple, $4000 for a car that doesn't start reliably is a stretch for me personally. I'd offer him around 3...
Old 10-09-14, 09:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

maybe based on the low mileage and condition, 90k is pretty low for a 92. It could be lots of things but probably not a hard fix, the hard part will be figuring out what is wrong if its not the fuel pump or fuel ecu or even main ecu, coolant sensor also comes to mind.. I would take a good look over it to see if its mostly stock then it may be worth figuring it out, but if it looks like someone has been changing everything already trying to get it to start then I would move on.

generally a 92 sc400 is pretty hardy, as in the engine doesn't normally die on these cars if the oil is changed regularly, 92-93 is non-interference so even if they never did the timing belt there wouldn't be risk of engine damage if it went, but the electronics working right is another story. if you have the time to sort it out if could be a nice pickup, but expect it could take alot more than just bypassing the fuel ecu.
Old 10-09-14, 10:12 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
92-93 is non-interference.
I'm fairly certain that the 94-95 are non interference as well. The SC didn't get the "upgraded" 1UZ until 1996, unlike the LS which got it in 95. 96 and 97 are the bastard child engines...they have these stupid low drag rings in them that cost a fortune from the dealer, and there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket. Oh dear, i am rambling again.

Back on topic, a 92 SC4 will be just as reliable, if not more reliable than the SC3 (cue the JZ fanboys). It ultimately comes down to what it's worth to *you*.

Last edited by pogoism9; 10-09-14 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-09-14, 10:44 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pogoism9
I'm fairly certain that the 94-95 are non interference as well. The SC didn't get the "upgraded" 1UZ until 1996, unlike the LS which got it in 95. 96 and 97 are the bastard child engines...
92-97 SC4 1UZ are Non-Interference, 98+ VVTI are Interference with 290HP.

OP Any pics of this low mileage SC? Sounds like a great deal if it is in fact only the fuel pump.
Old 10-10-14, 08:16 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't buy it...for 4k, that is. Offer lower. It's a 22 y o car with a starting issue, even with 90k miles...
Old 10-10-14, 09:48 AM
chason
Rookie

Went and checked it out... total waste of time. If it was in good shape, like he claimed, and like the pictures suggested, I would've paid $3500... he said he was willing to go as low as $3500, but:

- the paint had never seen a coat of wax in it's life. Would have been a beautiful car but it was dull dull dull
- the back had huge chunks of paint flaking off (he said "a tiny bit of cracking on the back"), the front had paint flaking off and rust
- he had the worst, ratty sounding aftermarket exhaust on it
- it had bootleg HIDs that didn't work. He was running with the brights on because "the HIDs burn out every time I hit a bump." I suspect this is what's causing the starting issue.
- the interior was starting to crack. that interior, at 90k miles, looks worse than mine did at 150k
- the tires were close to bald, even though he said they had "plenty of tread." The seller suggested I could get new, quality tires for $30 a piece.

Moral of the story: ask for more detailed photos before driving out.

Thanks for y'alls replies. Would have been a great pickup if it was actually taken care of. The engine bay was pristine.... too bad it was the only thing that poor car had going for it.

BONUS: He was riding with the spare tire because "nah, nothing's wrong with it I'm just too lazy to take it out the trunk."

Last edited by chason; 10-10-14 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-10-14, 09:57 AM
ems
Lead Lap

i had a similar time looking at a car. Guy said car was nice, After i pulled a 3/8 thick piece of bondo off of the rear to reveal the true color of paint!!!!! seriously. bondo over paint!!! i just told the guy im not interested, and heres your bondo chunk back.

There are HAAAAAAACKS everywhere!
Old 10-10-14, 05:26 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Wow Lol thought you had checked it out already thats why you knew about the starting issue.

Sounds like a headache after all with way too many issues for 4k
Old 10-12-14, 04:42 PM
chason
Rookie

You know, the pictures looked nice... and he just told me flat out without asking that it had the starting issue, so I thought he was an honest guy. Not at all. Once I met him in person it was diarrhea of the mouth.

Such a shame though... the rims and that color, would've been a beautiful car.

Is this a good deal?-nzvpmoo.jpg
Old 10-12-14, 04:46 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Wow, there was a member here who was checking out that exact same car, think even posted the same pic. He passed on it as well.
Old 10-12-14, 04:59 PM
chason
Rookie

hahaha, nice. I wish I would have taken pictures of it now... I was just so upset after driving two hours (one in traffic) to see it that I was ready to go the second after I saw it.

"It's normal for a car this old." No, no it ****ing isn't. Not if you cared for it.
Old 10-12-14, 05:56 PM
phillup23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Houston right? Was looking for a sc400 and saw that one. Was gna go look at it but found a black/black the very next day for $1800. Wrongs were starter making a weird noise on startup. And amp blown. Oh and one different wheel. -___- but all good. Leather is great also!
Old 10-12-14, 08:14 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Ha this one again? Man this guy gets around! Glad you made the right decision. That 400 is worth about 1800 to me.. Hate to see them neglected like that..
Old 10-12-14, 08:22 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol sucks that it was like that, hopefully we don't have a new member on here in a couple weeks who picked this up haha

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?