SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wood dash trim-What years have 1 piece? 3 piece?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 12:13 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Wood dash trim-What years have 1 piece? 3 piece?

I need clarification on dash wood trim. What year cars had 3 piece and what years had one piece dash trim.

I just purchased CF finish dash/door trim but the dash trim is one piece. I'm not near my 95's today but I think they are 3 piece on both 95's. Can anyone confirm?

I think the one piece trim I got is from a 97. I assume I cannot use it on my 95'. Is this correct?

Can anyone clarify the wood trim differences and years for me please?

SG
Old 10-06-14, 12:28 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Edit* I was wrong about the 92 being the only 1 piece.
92 is one piece cause there is no airbag on 92's.
93 and up look different and are 3 pieces because of the switch to the airbag.
in a later year 97 or 98 can't remember but there is another thread with the info the airbag changed a little and the dash went back to 1 piece.

92 (1 piece no airbag)

93-96 or 97 not sure (3 piece with airbag)

97 or 98+ not sure (1 piece with airbag)

easiest is to just go out and see which one you have.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-06-14 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 12:39 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Yes, I read that as well Ali. I think they went back to one piece in 97' because the trim I just got is one piece and it is from a 97'. Probably still different from the one piece from the 92' though. I'd assume they changes this at least 3 times from what I am seeing here.
Darn, I didn't know to ask what year it was for. I can't use it.
Old 10-06-14, 12:41 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I just went back and updated my post you are right they went back to 1 piece in 97 or 98 (I guess 97 from your description). completely forgot about that one but I knew something changed about the airbag area on the later models. so the middle years are 3 piece and like mine which is a 95 I am pretty sure you have the 3 piece. added some pictures to clarify the differences.
Old 10-06-14, 01:20 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Yes, Im 3 piece on the 95's. I wonder if it will somehow fit anyway since the dash didn't change? Mounting screws are probably different.
Thanks Ali!!!!!
Old 10-06-14, 01:56 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

you never know it may just go right over it and cover the seams of the 3 piece (if its the stick on kind). the dash shape did not change.
not sure what will happen if the passenger airbag deploys though but hopefully it will just go over it =/

They write "SRS Airbag" on the middle trim piece on the 3 piece cars (93-96), and the airbag is completely smooth.

If you notice on the 97+ it does not say anything on the trim piece, "SRS airbag" is actually engraved on the 97+ airbags themselves.

So maybe the only reason they did a 3 piece was to write SRS airbag on the middle piece with a machine and they didn't want to fit the huge trim in there, and not cause they changed the shape at all. I do not think its a coincidence they went back to the 1 piece when they removed the lettering. just cause the new engraving they did on the airbags removed the need for it completely (pretty sure its required by law to be written somewhere around the air bag). once again one of my many SC theories you wont find it in a book or anything like that =)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-06-14 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 02:02 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Hmmmmmmmm, does the wood trim flap down as well when it deploys, or does the top panel just pop up?
Old 10-06-14, 08:33 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Having taken that stuff apart not too long ago to replace the center vent on my '94, I'm pretty sure the wood trim with "SRS' on it is a solid piece that does not move with airbag deployment.
Old 10-06-14, 09:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

that does sound like it makes the most sense otherwise it could come off and hurt someone.
Old 10-07-14, 03:56 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

True! thanks guys!

t2d2,
Did you find a DIY for removing the trim, or did you just figure it out? I'm clueless as to how to get it off and scared to break things. I have to remove that and most of my upper plastic trim to SEM, but I am procrastinating because I am scared to break tabs etc.

Ali,
Have you ever seen an interior dismantling DIY?

Last edited by Studiogeek; 10-07-14 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-07-14, 07:50 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Don't sweat it, you're guaranteed to break things no matter how careful you are. There are a few clips on the back of those bastards that don't seem possible to remove intact. My clean replacement vent had a couple broken clips in the exact same spots my old one shattered when taking it out. Also, the instructions I found didn't take into account the differences between 1-piece and 3-piece wood trim designs, so I found myself struggling to figure out connections that weren't there on mine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-removal.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...nter-vent.html

Those are the two threads I bookmarked as having followed. To add to that first one, there's a plastic screw thingie behind the glove box latch that has to come out or you'll be tugging on it forever. Mine didn't quite unscrew so I had to painstakingly pry and spin it until I could get something under the lip and start pulling down. And there's no wing nuts, just a 10mm nut on the right and the aforementioned super snug clip on the left side.
Old 10-07-14, 08:50 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by t2d2
Don't sweat it, you're guaranteed to break things no matter how careful you are. There are a few clips on the back of those bastards that don't seem possible to remove intact. My clean replacement vent had a couple broken clips in the exact same spots my old one shattered when taking it out. Also, the instructions I found didn't take into account the differences between 1-piece and 3-piece wood trim designs, so I found myself struggling to figure out connections that weren't there on mine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-removal.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...nter-vent.html

Those are the two threads I bookmarked as having followed. To add to that first one, there's a plastic screw thingie behind the glove box latch that has to come out or you'll be tugging on it forever. Mine didn't quite unscrew so I had to painstakingly pry and spin it until I could get something under the lip and start pulling down. And there's no wing nuts, just a 10mm nut on the right and the aforementioned super snug clip on the left side.
Thanks t2d2!!!!!!
Old 10-07-14, 10:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah I followed a thread can't remember which one but just go slowly and by feel. use small yanks.. lol, as in if you arent sure dont hulk it off give it a tug if it wants to stay then find the missing screw. as long as you have 80% of the connectors left I would call that a success. I got the airbag side off no problem with just a little feeling around behind there, but removing the actual center vent I am pretty sure I missed one and broke it off, but it still goes back in just fine. I think the thread missed that one, I want to say you have to remove the cluster to get to the last one on the left side behind the center vent, but I think most people just hulk it off and pretend it was never there.
Old 10-07-14, 10:48 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Plasti-dip is looking better and better to me LOL!
Old 10-07-14, 12:23 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

so it actually replace the pieces? that might be tricky let us know if it can be done if you try it.

Quick Reply: Wood dash trim-What years have 1 piece? 3 piece?