SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Damage to Drivers Side Door, cant open

Old 10-05-14, 12:40 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damage to Drivers Side Door, cant open

Just picked up another SC400, a 92, mechanically seems pretty good but needs a bit of work

I want to replace the door as its stuck closed, I think because its locked and its stuck locked and I cant unlock it, so maybe the lock arm is stuck due to the damage?

Damage to Drivers Side Door, cant open-ab4cc2z.jpg

would a Slim Jim be able to work in this case?
Old 10-05-14, 05:09 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

I'm assuming it doesn't open from the inside?
Old 10-05-14, 07:46 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

No, the previous owner snapped the handle off trying.
Old 10-05-14, 07:58 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Is the door panel in bad shape already? Iworse case scenario, just rip off the door panel
Old 10-05-14, 08:01 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Door panel looks untouched.

but you think I can get to it by ripping up the door card?

I guess I will wait until I get new doors next weekend.
Old 10-06-14, 08:18 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If it were my SC, I'd get a pry bar and pry that thing opened, unless you have some weird use for the bent door...lawn ornament?
Old 10-06-14, 09:21 AM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400slide
If it were my SC, I'd get a pry bar and pry that thing opened, unless you have some weird use for the bent door...lawn ornament?
I was trying a bit of that yesterday, but if the door is locked then its not going to budge right?
I was trying to pry it while unlocking it and trying the handle.

something would break, I suspect it wouldn't be the door catch?

Last edited by PseudoK; 10-06-14 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-06-14, 01:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you will just end up doing more damage to the chassis if you pry it off while its locked and not even able to open.
sacrifice the door card already. when you loose the outside or inside its a mad rush to get ir fixed before the other one goes because its easy to fix when you can open the door. when you can't open the door inside and out, the door panel has to be sacrificed more or less as some of the screws are under the door. you could try undoing most of them on the panel and hulking it off and basically tearing the bottom ones out you can't reach, but I haven't tried or recommended that before. someone said they could get the door panel off with the door closed but the general consensus is its very very difficult if not impossible without cutting it open.

if you break off the door latch which is attacthed to the A pillar on the car body (not the door), you are going to bend out that section and it will require more body work, and once that area is weakened and repaired it may keep breaking in the future, so I would say sacrifice the $80 lower panel already and get the door open, remove it and replace it with a working non bashed in door. I mean you have to find another door anyways it will have some kind of panel on it hopefully. If you have the beginnings of the sagging door hinge issues, then look into doing that also while in there as you will have to realign the new door anyways.
Old 10-06-14, 01:33 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

So Essentially what I want to know is that its almost 100% that I can get that door open (and therefore off) if I sacrifice the door card?
Old 10-06-14, 02:18 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I can tell you there is no way you will get that door open now without physically reaching the door lock actuator which is in the middle of the door right where the door meets the car or hope that the door release rod is still mostly in tact. a slimjim might work but if the door opening metal rod is broken bad enough you may not be able to pull it without getting deep in there.

this guy in the last post says he was able to remove the window trim and reach the door rod. you can maybe give that a try. I would try that and maybe the slimjim route first and hope there is enough of the rod left to get it open, its not impossible.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...outside-2.html

I have heard of people destroying the door panel as said above also, and some that try and get it off without destroying it but not sure how effective that is (must be houdini I break something every time I take it off and thats with the door open).

normally that is the main way you can get to the actuator and open it when it does not open from either handle, sacrificing the panel, but try a few other ways like remove the window stripping and get more room to look down there for whatever part of the handle remains.

Do not break the window its much more expensive and might not even work so well.

now if your accident is physically keeping it from opening, thats another problem, but looks like once you unlock it and pull up on the release rod you should be able to kick that thing out.

also if you are replacing the door, you could use a grinder and cut a square into it from the outside till you can reach the actuator. sort of like destroying the trim but in this case destroying the door, cause well, your door is already destroyed more or less. a hole saw might do it too but you may shoot right through the door and hit the panel anyways on the other side.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-06-14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 02:31 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Glass is already gone in both doors, I need to replace these things ASAP as its very inconvenient lol

I just need to find a way to destroy the door card so I can put it back together temporarily until I can get that ever sought after Black interior.
Old 10-06-14, 09:34 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah do a search on door wont open inside outside you will see all the threads people have suggested different things. destroying the door card is a sure fix I mean that is what you take off to replace the broken parts. you only need to break the bottom part I think.
Old 10-06-14, 11:55 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

How about get a cutoff wheel and cut a hole in the door? Haha it might save the door panel from being destroyed.
Old 10-13-14, 11:11 AM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Update to this:

I had to rip out the door panel, and pound out the dent and the support, as it was jammed INTO the lock making it impossible to open. I kept hitting it with a 2x4 and a hammer till it inched its way out of the way and the lock would disengage. and the door opened.

I am hoping to salvage the lock mechanism since the door I got has a messed up one (arms are all ripped off)

or possible I could combine the two?

(I am prolly going to have to buy a new one)
Old 10-13-14, 11:34 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

No offense man....but this SC is in really bad shape...with the front subframe issues on this car and the door being smashed....I would of passed on this SC and found a better starting point...imo...

How much did you get the car for again?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Damage to Drivers Side Door, cant open