SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Spare tire well: To delete, or not delete; that is the question ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-14, 09:21 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't see any good reason to hack up your trunk floor. The "aerodynamics" argument is a bunch of crap, putting on a home-made rear diffuser will hurt your aerodynamics. Granted the concept of a rear diffuser is sound, but unless you have a few million to go play in the wind tunnel for a few hundred hours, it isn't going to give you the effect you want.

Keep in mind that there are about 1,000 variables in the aerodynamics of your car. Slapping on a rear diffuser, well it might not play well with the air coming off your rear end housing or how the air flows into the rear wheel arches. There is a reason Formula 1 teams spend thousands of hours and millions of dollars in a wind tunnel. If they have an aero tweak that doesn't break the rules and gives them a tenth or two, yes a 0.1 to .2 second better lap time, that is considered a major success.

These cars came from the factory with a .31 coefficient of drag. For 1992 that was revolutionary, even today its still an impressive number. Just saying the Toyota engineers might have known a thing or two about aerodynamics.

EDIT: Also run-flat tires are the creation of the devil. Friend bought a 2000 Corvette, it had Goodyear runflats, those things were just brutal, so freaking loud, every bump just reverberated throughout that car. The next week he put conventional Michelians on it, you wouldn't even think it was the same car, it rode great, even on lousy roads.

Last edited by Aron9000; 10-08-14 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-09-14, 05:47 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my spare well removed. I replaced it with aluminum sheet metal, which is self tapped into place. I plan to go full flat panel with a rear diffuser. My car is a 2500lb road race car.

I don't have pictures, my trunk is semi-permanently shut due to my wing being braced in the trunk.

Saved about 12lbs, can't remember the exact weight.
Old 10-09-14, 02:25 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fried_rice
I have my spare well removed. I replaced it with aluminum sheet metal, which is self tapped into place. I plan to go full flat panel with a rear diffuser. My car is a 2500lb road race car.

I don't have pictures, my trunk is semi-permanently shut due to my wing being braced in the trunk.

Saved about 12lbs, can't remember the exact weight.
If you're going for a radical build like that, then I see a point to it. If its just a cruiser, don't hack it up.
Old 10-09-14, 06:43 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
If you're going for a radical build like that, then I see a point to it. If its just a cruiser, don't hack it up.
But how else is he going to exceed 147mph ?
Old 10-09-14, 09:59 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This^^^
Old 10-09-14, 10:14 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go for it. I've been doing this for a while now. (well mostly thinking about it.) I cut out the bottom of it and welded a flat panel cause I wanted to put a subwoofer box in there that would fit. I found that none would fit without making a cylindrical box so I just put my amp down there. now i'm thinking of cutting it all out together. I work at firestone though and have a couple of back up cars. I have gotten 2 flat tires since doing so. 1 I got at work and noticed as soon as I parked so I just parked my car inside and fixed it. the second I was at my girlfriends house, her parents have a jack, so I took off my tire and took it to a nearby firestone. but either way. I like it without my spare.
Old 10-09-14, 10:15 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

i might also add that im not doing it for looks or aerodynamics, mostly for, just cause.
Old 10-10-14, 06:50 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see any good reason to hack up your trunk floor. The "aerodynamics" argument is a bunch of crap, putting on a home-made rear diffuser will hurt your aerodynamics. Granted the concept of a rear diffuser is sound, but unless you have a few million to go play in the wind tunnel for a few hundred hours, it isn't going to give you the effect you want.

Keep in mind that there are about 1,000 variables in the aerodynamics of your car. Slapping on a rear diffuser, well it might not play well with the air coming off your rear end housing or how the air flows into the rear wheel arches. There is a reason Formula 1 teams spend thousands of hours and millions of dollars in a wind tunnel. If they have an aero tweak that doesn't break the rules and gives them a tenth or two, yes a 0.1 to .2 second better lap time, that is considered a major success.

These cars came from the factory with a .31 coefficient of drag. For 1992 that was revolutionary, even today its still an impressive number. Just saying the Toyota engineers might have known a thing or two about aerodynamics.
Okay, "woah" ...
First of all, Formula 1 teams spend that kind of money, because Formula 1 is that kind of investment.
That sport rakes in so much money, every one of their drivers is practically a billionaire.
Therefore they HAVE TO make that kind of effort to be successful. A 10th of a second makes all the difference in the world, because F1 is the pinnacle - the height of auto-racing; so the margin is minimal. Same with Major League pitching speeds; you can only get "so fast" ...
That doesn't mean however, that anybody who doesn't have those resources, is incapable of successfully building effective upgrades. That's some terrible logic. By that, in fact, you're basically saying that every body kit, and hood, is a downgrade with regard to performance.
You just insulted every aftermarket engineering company out there:

- Top Secret
- Titan Motorsports
- HKS
- SP Engineering
- AeroMotions

Etc.

Trust me, haha; granted they have higher budgets than the average garage, they don't put in the same R&D that Formula 1 does, for their products.
You're assuming things, and your attitude is awful.

E.g.

... "a home-made rear diffuser" ... "slapping on a rear-diffuser" ...
You make it sound like a go-kart constructed of 2x4's and plastic, trying to contend with LaMans, lol.
Smh; this isn't some unrealistic endeavor, nor am I an idiot. Neither the science, nor the engineering behind it are so difficult.
In fact, there are guys on this forum, who've built entire race-ready cars from the ground up.
Secondly, Toyota engineers do know a thing or two about aerodynamics, however they're also restricted to the styles and technologies of their time. In 1992, few Ferrari's ever came with diffusers, much less a Toyota. Nowadays, just about every new Ferrari has a rear-diffuser.
The Tuner Market hadn't been established in 1992; therefore the demand for greater performance wasn't as high as it is today. Back then, 350hp was bragging rights for production-car manufacturers; whereas nowadays that's expected of a sports car, just to be considered entry-level.
Why didn't the SC come twin-turbo like the Soarer?
Same thing.
It wasn't necessary for the market, or demographic of the time.
Not 'cus "Lexus didn't do it; therefore it's a bad idea to Turbocharge your engine".
I can get together with a welder; I have several friends who are all aerospace-engineers, and we'll build something effective. If need be, I'll get in contact with an aerodynamicist (friend of a friend) also.
I have resources; it's not that great a challenge to do it correctly.

Originally Posted by turbodremz
But as stated, your not going to exceed the 147mph with the stock pcm/trans/gears. Get a standalone, or do some sort of swap then go for more, and then worry about weight and drag issues.
The thing is (I know they are, but) I've never even SEEN an actual stand-alone engine management unit; therefore all those "maps" etc. people talk about ... I would really need someone to take some time and educate me on how to operate such a thing. I'm somewhat afraid to make changes that would hurt my cars performance. In other words, "I just don't know what I'm doing."
I'm better at understanding mechanics, than I am software.
Old 10-10-14, 10:30 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Okay, "woah" ...
First of all, Formula 1 teams spend that kind of money, because Formula 1 is that kind of investment.
That sport rakes in so much money, every one of their drivers is practically a billionaire.
Therefore they HAVE TO make that kind of effort to be successful. A 10th of a second makes all the difference in the world, because F1 is the pinnacle - the height of auto-racing; so the margin is minimal. Same with Major League pitching speeds; you can only get "so fast" ...
That doesn't mean however, that anybody who doesn't have those resources, is incapable of successfully building effective upgrades. That's some terrible logic. By that, in fact, you're basically saying that every body kit, and hood, is a downgrade with regard to performance.
You just insulted every aftermarket engineering company out there:

- Top Secret
- Titan Motorsports
- HKS
- SP Engineering
- AeroMotions

Etc.

Trust me, haha; granted they have higher budgets than the average garage, they don't put in the same R&D that Formula 1 does, for their products.
You're assuming things, and your attitude is awful.

E.g.

... "a home-made rear diffuser" ... "slapping on a rear-diffuser" ...
You make it sound like a go-kart constructed of 2x4's and plastic, trying to contend with LaMans, lol.
Smh; this isn't some unrealistic endeavor, nor am I an idiot. Neither the science, nor the engineering behind it are so difficult.
In fact, there are guys on this forum, who've built entire race-ready cars from the ground up.
Secondly, Toyota engineers do know a thing or two about aerodynamics, however they're also restricted to the styles and technologies of their time. In 1992, few Ferrari's ever came with diffusers, much less a Toyota. Nowadays, just about every new Ferrari has a rear-diffuser.
The Tuner Market hadn't been established in 1992; therefore the demand for greater performance wasn't as high as it is today. Back then, 350hp was bragging rights for production-car manufacturers; whereas nowadays that's expected of a sports car, just to be considered entry-level.
Why didn't the SC come twin-turbo like the Soarer?
Same thing.
It wasn't necessary for the market, or demographic of the time.
Not 'cus "Lexus didn't do it; therefore it's a bad idea to Turbocharge your engine".
I can get together with a welder; I have several friends who are all aerospace-engineers, and we'll build something effective. If need be, I'll get in contact with an aerodynamicist (friend of a friend) also.
I have resources; it's not that great a challenge to do it correctly.

The thing is (I know they are, but) I've never even SEEN an actual stand-alone engine management unit; therefore all those "maps" etc. people talk about ... I would really need someone to take some time and educate me on how to operate such a thing. I'm somewhat afraid to make changes that would hurt my cars performance. In other words, "I just don't know what I'm doing."
I'm better at understanding mechanics, than I am software.

Is your SC300 even turbocharged????

Get back to me on this mod when you are running competitive times in the Texas mile and trying to break 170, 180, 190, 200mph. Or if you move to Germany and have a public road to max your car out on.

Otherwise, this whole idea kind of smacks of the ricer wing circa 2001-2002, right after Fast and Furious came out. Oh everybody had to have a huge race car aluminum wing, because we need that extra down force to make that tight 20mph turn into the grocery store parking lot in our Honda. Granted your idea, if properly executed, might actually look cool. I still think the function will be dubious however.

Last edited by Aron9000; 10-10-14 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-11-14, 09:41 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Is your SC300 even turbocharged????

Get back to me on this mod when you are running competitive times in the Texas mile and trying to break 170, 180, 190, 200mph. Or if you move to Germany and have a public road to max your car out on.

Otherwise, this whole idea kind of smacks of the ricer wing circa 2001-2002, right after Fast and Furious came out. Oh everybody had to have a huge race car aluminum wing, because we need that extra down force to make that tight 20mph turn into the grocery store parking lot in our Honda. Granted your idea, if properly executed, might actually look cool. I still think the function will be dubious however.
Many people on here are looking for a decent diffuser, and don't have 200mph SC's.
You don't need a turbo to justify making improvements.

Last edited by SEIDO; 10-11-14 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-12-14, 04:59 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Awwwwww snap I wonder if there is actually going to be some work going on in this thread. Other than these huge post about ......blah......blah...and some more blah.
I hope this thread won't get locked so I can come pack to not look at any progress.
Old 10-12-14, 09:33 AM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my SC were a 2014 Camaro, I wouldnt touch it. I think half of the fun of these cars is to personalize them to our own likes. The diffuser would look really good if done correctly.
Old 10-12-14, 09:23 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwhite
If my SC were a 2014 Camaro, I wouldnt touch it. I think half of the fun of these cars is to personalize them to our own likes. The diffuser would look really good if done correctly.
yea exactly, it's an old car, most of us paid less than 5k for these and you can do whatever the hell you want to it. chop it up, put it back together. too many people stuck on the whole "it's a lexus, keep it a lexus" ordeal. watever, it's an old car, and people should do watever the hell they want to it.
Old 10-13-14, 04:07 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by kez
Awwwwww snap I wonder if there is actually going to be some work going on in this thread. Other than these huge post about ......blah......blah...and some more blah.
I hope this thread won't get locked so I can come pack to not look at any progress.
It's been like a week, dude; calm down.
Old 10-13-14, 11:09 AM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Cut out the tire well and reverse it, mount a donut to the top of it, should still clear the trunk. then run exhaust into the inverse tire well and mount a remote turbo to it.