SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Mounting Flush mount spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-15, 02:34 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mounting Flush mount spoiler?

I am mounting an OEM flush mount spoiler (no 3rd brake light) to my trunk which has the OEM holes pre-drilled, but came with a 3rd brake light spoiler. So basically this is a mounting question, I lost my oem bolts and all the bolts I try get stuck about half way in and then it starts to strip the bolt, so Im guessing its a short bolt or tapered if anyone has any pictures of the stock bolt that would be great.

I'm only using 3 bolt holes (center 3)

Also my second question is what is the correct sealant to use to seal the wing to the trunk and seal some of the extra holes? please do no tell me silicone

Old 05-27-15, 02:51 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I don't know about the bolts, but mine looks to just be fastened down with some double sided tape at the ends, and no sealant in between. I'm always picking pine needles out of the back edge because there's nothing at the front edge to keep them from getting in under it... It could be that a P.O. took it off and changed things in that respect, though.

When I take mine off for better paint work, I plan on using a couple spots of extra strength tape at the ends and maybe the middle, and then silicon or something similar along the whole front edge.
Old 05-27-15, 04:50 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I used the 3 bolts as well as double sided tape.......I taped the whole entire bottom side of spoiler as I did not want any water getting underneath it

I had to drill the holes in my trunk as the 92 SC300 did not come with the option for a spoiler

Last edited by CatManD3W; 05-27-15 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-27-15, 05:23 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was installed by one of the PO's.
There's nothing sealing it on my car as far as I can tell as I have the same problem t2d2 has.
Old 05-28-15, 01:19 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Alright ill have to just go with my original idea sealant and just whatever bolts I have that come close... DOES anybody have a picture of the OEM bolt???????
Old 05-28-15, 08:16 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I decided to take my spoiler off tonight and start stripping it and the trunk lid down for re-painting. What I thought was double sided tape at the ends of the spoiler was actually just the remnants of what I assume is factory weatherstripping. It looks like they lined the entire perimeter with that and that provided the seal once tightened down by the 5 bolts.

I was surprised to find two clips, one at each end, which were a bit tricky to get undone since there's no access hole from below. I was eventually able to find one of the tabs to push in with a putty knife and pry the tab on the other side out.

As for the bolts, 12mm extends down from the bottom of the mounting plate on the spoiler, with 7mm of that being thread and the rest being a narrow shaft that's maybe half the width of the threaded part. I'd have to go by a hardware store to figure out the thread pitch, but it's ~5mm diameter. I would guess M8x1.25 or whatever that common size is throughout the car.

That's on a spoiler with brake light, so there could be differences. I have five bolt holes, two clip holes, and one wire grommet hole. That's four more than in your picture.
Old 05-30-15, 06:44 AM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Originally Posted by t2d2
I decided to take my spoiler off tonight and start stripping it and the trunk lid down for re-painting. What I thought was double sided tape at the ends of the spoiler was actually just the remnants of what I assume is factory weatherstripping. It looks like they lined the entire perimeter with that and that provided the seal once tightened down by the 5 bolts.

I was surprised to find two clips, one at each end, which were a bit tricky to get undone since there's no access hole from below. I was eventually able to find one of the tabs to push in with a putty knife and pry the tab on the other side out.

As for the bolts, 12mm extends down from the bottom of the mounting plate on the spoiler, with 7mm of that being thread and the rest being a narrow shaft that's maybe half the width of the threaded part. I'd have to go by a hardware store to figure out the thread pitch, but it's ~5mm diameter. I would guess M8x1.25 or whatever that common size is throughout the car.

That's on a spoiler with brake light, so there could be differences. I have five bolt holes, two clip holes, and one wire grommet hole. That's four more than in your picture.

I have two 95 spoilers. One brake light and one non and they are most definately different in the way they are mounted, I mounted the non brake light spoiler yesterday and used my non spoiler trunk (drilled the holes) I figured it would be easier than trying to patch a bunch of holes from the 3rd brake light trunk.... I used 3 10mm bolts with washers and double sided tape then just sealed the holes from the bottom, turned out pretty good. Also the 3rd brake light has the threaded studs that go through the trunk, the non brake light spoiler just has bolt holes... I found out the wing is fiberglass (overlooked that) so the bolt holes are held in the fiberglass once you get to a certain point the bolt holes spins with the bolt freely because their is nothing holding them to the fiberglass which is what I was experiencing which I thought was a stripped hole., I tried to use lock washers to create pressure.... overall really happy with it....

Last edited by SCFactory; 05-30-15 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-30-15, 06:52 AM
SCFactory
Pole Position

I know picture quality is bad so I edited a little still waiting for my new phone to arrive, I dropped mine a couple weeks ago and shattered it