SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Door panels: Rebuild or Custom?

Old 09-24-14, 04:04 PM
runabout
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door panels: Rebuild or Custom?

Well my panels had went to crap so I'm in a position to either 're-construct them or just make panels. Here are a couple pics I'm thinking to attempt. What have you seen out there?

Old 09-24-14, 04:07 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

They don't really appear like too hard of a rebuild but I do like some of the custom ones people have done. Depends on you skill in that area I guess. My favorite is the custom fiber glass one where he eliminated the bottom carpet region and I think he added a larger speaker or something. Idk how I'd look it up otherwise I'd link it lol

Edit:
Idk what kind of car your building and you intentions, but if you're thinking of one of the pictures, I would guess you're making a track car? Because I don't think those would look good in a daily or street car, imo.

Last edited by BeaksSC; 09-24-14 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-24-14, 04:47 PM
runabout
Rookie

well i was thinking of using the back paneling and creating something different. the lower panel is pretty much gone. i can fiberglass it and structure it but it would be a lot of work when i can just buy some used ones for about the same price i would spending. so i was thinking about doing something a bit different. ill sketch up something i had in mind. but i plan to make the car street/track.

id like to make something like the one you are speaking of. i saw that thread lol. wish i had a router to make me some MDF rings.
Old 09-24-14, 04:52 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Get new vinyl and rewrap them.....I redid my door panels for less than $40 in material...

Start on post # 238

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-build-16.html
Old 09-24-14, 04:55 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely depends on your plans for the car, audio, no audio, etc...

I think the "Takata" one is easiest to pull off. Quarter inch pressure treated plywood, don't see why you couldn't use original door handles, and even create a bump out for an arm rest as I know I like my arm rest, then glue black carpet fabric on the entire thing...

New galvanized hardware for the door holes for a finished look that won't rust. I wish I had a parts car I would love to attempt something like this with it.

Both pic's show that the inner door seems to be pretty flat, and look like a flat piece of wood would fit on it, but I don't think it will be that easy. The Takata looks like it's two piece.
Old 09-24-14, 05:03 PM
runabout
Rookie

Awesome input guys! Thanks. well I would love to wrap it again but I might have to reconstruct this if I do. It looks horrible. Lol the guy that had it before really didn't take much care of it as you can see.

Old 09-25-14, 08:51 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If those were mine, they wouldn't be in my SC...lol if you decide to wrap them take some pics afterwards!
Old 09-25-14, 10:49 AM
runabout
Rookie

thats exactly why i don't have them in there. been panel less for over a month lol.
Old 09-25-14, 07:21 PM
runabout
Rookie

Well I came up with an idea. Using the top portion to maintain the locking handle and upper accent while integrating the switches. It's just test fitted. Might be making another switch plate that contours a lot better. As for the bottom, I'll be using a flat panel and merge the two together. Just trying out something different
Old 09-25-14, 09:35 PM
runabout
Rookie

I was going to use the back paneling but it has a lot of intents and I'd I've to create the upper section close to the door jam. So I'm going to use a whole flat piece. And well I ended up molding the switch bezel. Just sitting here letting it cure. Came out smooth.
Old 09-25-14, 10:23 PM
Rezist89
Rookie

dope stuff here
Old 09-25-14, 11:04 PM
runabout
Rookie

Thanks,
It's coming out really smooth. When it's done you'll just see the switches. No need for added trimmings for such a simple panel. Still have lots more to do. I'll post a better pic when it's cured and sanded down.
Old 09-26-14, 09:41 AM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

this looks really cool, maybe if it goes well you could make a few sets to sell. What finish are you gonna do when you get them on the car?
Old 09-26-14, 10:50 AM
S6prod
Driver School Candidate

I would like to see the progress on the panels. Mine are in bad shape and looking for ideas. I could just buy new map pockets and re wrap the rest. I am interested in seeing custom panels as well.
Old 09-26-14, 12:43 PM
runabout
Rookie

Well I haven't decided on the finish yet. The upper section is resin coated smooth so I can paint it or material. If all turns out well I'll see what I can do to make some more panels. Working on it right now so I'll post some progress pics in a while.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door panels: Rebuild or Custom?