SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Best tires for ice/snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-14, 11:32 PM
ddw1977
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Best tires for ice/snow

(New to CL and I plan to post photos by next week...)

95 sc300 - 225/55R16, factory wheels - looking for suggestions and testimonials from road warriors on ice/snow. RWD isn't friendly from what I'm hearing, but the right tires will suffice for now; I'm considering upgrades in the springtime. Commuting distance is appr. 80 miles per day = roughly 70 highway/10 backroad with moderate incline/declines and a few sharp turns. Basically, I'm looking for tires that will get me through at least two winters and the RWD won't be a significant hinderance.
Thanks, I'm already learning a lot from some of these threads!
Old 09-24-14, 04:52 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Bridgestone Blizzak's have served me well.
Old 09-24-14, 07:56 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont live anywhere near snow, but every forum I am on its always the Blizzak's that are the recommended tires.
Old 09-24-14, 08:12 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I had Blizzaks 2 winters ago and were OK but after my butt hole puckering 5-6 times and still sliding off the road and wrecking my front end (check my threads) in the snow I went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS(dry/wet/snow).. First hand, they are superior in every way... I bought a set of 4 for many winters to come. Hands down, they changed the whole experience of snow and rain to a more enjoyable drive. To each there own but when it comes to your safety, I would trust them with my life.

Last edited by Kris9884; 09-24-14 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-24-14, 08:51 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Go check out the comparisons of snow vs. All season on tirerack.com. The videos will make anyone a believer in dedicated snows.
The DWS seem like great All-Season tires however All-Season tires are invariably a compromise in all seasons, especially in snow. Not only because of the more aggressive siping and tread patterns that support the evacuation of snow and slush on snows, but mostly because a rubber compound thats great is the cold doesn't do well in the heat and vise-versa. They cannot, NOT be a compromised choice by the nature of each compounds' strengths.
2 dedicated sets are my preference by far but if forced to use an All-Season, I'd probably try the DWS.
Old 09-24-14, 09:00 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Someone needs to build on the TPMS and inflate-on-the-fly ideas and design a retractable studs system for winter tires.

I've usually just used summer performance tires throughout the year and man are they treacherous on the occasional snow day.
Old 09-24-14, 09:12 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Go check out the comparisons of snow vs. All season on tirerack.com. The videos will make anyone a believer in dedicated snows.
The DWS seem like great All-Season tires however All-Season tires are invariably a compromise in all seasons, especially in snow. Not only because of the more aggressive siping and tread patterns that support the evacuation of snow and slush on snows, but mostly because a rubber compound thats great is the cold doesn't do well in the heat and vise-versa. They cannot, NOT be a compromised choice by the nature of each compounds' strengths.
2 dedicated sets are my preference by far but if forced to use an All-Season, I'd probably try the DWS.
I can't totally agree with you there, when the days warmed up and I hadn't changed the wheels back yet, the side walls had a bit of play on pavement but no more than any other stock sized tire. Mind you, I'm in Missouri where it gets upper 90's+ almost everyday of the summer while Oregon would be lucky to see 90's at all so that's even better for him.. But as OP asked for the best ice/snow option I still stand by these. That being said, your right, of course there are going to be better tires for dry pavement but that's not the concern at hand.
Old 09-24-14, 01:54 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

I tried to make a nice write up in the wheel/tire section regarding winter tires and all season tires. Kris, I think this will help you understand why the winter tire feels so 'squirrly' on the dry pavement and in warmer temps.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...w-and-ice.html

Bridgestone has the new Blizzak WS80 out and I will tell you from first hand testing at the ice rink that it is in a complete league of its own. Check out our test results when we put the WS80 up against some of the other best winter tires on the market.

I also was impressed with the traction levels from the Yokohama winter tires when testing as well. Here is a link to them.

And if you are looking for the most winter tire information found on the internet, click here.
Old 09-24-14, 01:58 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

The Continental Extreme Contact DWS is probably one of our best all season tires in the winter weather. It will not compare to any winter tire in the worst of worst conditions, however. For someone who sees light snow and doesn't want a dedicated winter tire, this is a great option.
Old 09-24-14, 02:40 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

AJ,
That's great information! Thank you!
At what point does wheel/tire width start to decrease winter traction? In other words, How wide a tire is too wide for winter? What is the widest size the WS80 comes in?

Thank You!
Old 09-24-14, 02:45 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

That will vary greatly by vehicle. My own car is going from a 225 to a 205 for winter use.

Search by vehicle to find whats available for your car.
Old 09-25-14, 02:02 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

AJ, I've been curious about this as well. Even though I don't live in a snow state I do travel through them occasionally (so far not during winter) as well as some areas in Cali like Big Bear which do see some moderate snow. I'm on MKIV Supra TT rims and so far nothing is available in 235/45R-17 front and 255/40R-17 rear. I think the Blizzak does have a 245-40R-17 sizing but I'm not sure that would be a good fit. Assuming I had a spare set of 8x17" front and 9.5x17" rear Supra TT rims to use (needed to clear the brake calipers) is there any decent set of dedicated snow tires I could use?

I noticed that even the Nissan GT-R (and BMW 6-Series) have dedicated snow tires available in the Bridgestone Blizzak catalog. Surely there must be some alternative sizing available for a vehicle with staggered 17" rims.
Old 09-25-14, 07:07 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

General Altimax Arctic - I stud mine - but even un-studded they are literally the best winter tires made IMO.
I used the 225/60R16 size to save a few dollars from the 225/55R16

Last edited by soarer93; 09-25-14 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-25-14, 09:19 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

AJ,
For winter, I have P245R18 MZ-03 Blizzaks on Sc430 wheels. One has a bubble in the sidewall but I don't want to buy another run-flat to replace it. Can I just buy two of the new WS80's for the front and keep the MZ03's on the back for a season or two? Is it dangerous to mix the two Blizzak tire types?
Old 09-25-14, 12:15 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
AJ, I've been curious about this as well. Even though I don't live in a snow state I do travel through them occasionally (so far not during winter) as well as some areas in Cali like Big Bear which do see some moderate snow. I'm on MKIV Supra TT rims and so far nothing is available in 235/45R-17 front and 255/40R-17 rear. I think the Blizzak does have a 245-40R-17 sizing but I'm not sure that would be a good fit. Assuming I had a spare set of 8x17" front and 9.5x17" rear Supra TT rims to use (needed to clear the brake calipers) is there any decent set of dedicated snow tires I could use?

I noticed that even the Nissan GT-R (and BMW 6-Series) have dedicated snow tires available in the Bridgestone Blizzak catalog. Surely there must be some alternative sizing available for a vehicle with staggered 17" rims.
Generally speaking, fitments for vehicles like that are very limited with only a few options and built for those vehicles.

That fitment you gave me is a really hard fitment to find something matching front and rear. How tall of a tire can you use with those wheels? A 245/40 would be smaller in the rear (OD 24.7") when using a front 235/45 with an outer diameter of 25.4". Can you do a 245 in the front/square set up? A 245-40 has a rim range of 8-9.5".

Quick Reply: Best tires for ice/snow