SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Correct place for radio threads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-14, 11:23 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Correct place for radio threads?

I've had problems with my stock, Pioneer radio not coming on, so replaced it with another, used one. It didn't correct the problem. Where should threads discussing audio system problems be posted?
Old 09-21-14, 11:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

You can post it here since it sounds like it's a broader electrical connection issue.

Assume you've tested / replaced the related fuses?
Old 09-21-14, 01:53 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly do you mean by "not coming on"? Is there just no sound, or does the unit itself just not want to turn on (ie, blank LCD screens)?
Cuz if its just no sound, but the unit itself tunrs on, then its not the headunit thats your problem, its your amp.
Old 09-23-14, 05:27 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's actually a long story. Here's the short version: I bought the SC for my daughter to drive about three years ago. The stereo worked then, almost all the time. It did have some alternator/charging issues though, because a previous owner rigged an oval plug alternator on by cutting off the wiring harness plug and jambing the wires into the alternator plug. When the weather got cold, the stereo would never turn on until the car was warm. The dash behaved eratically too. I put blade connectors on the wiring harness leads, and the dash problems went away, but the audio system never worked right. Sometimes it would come on, but it slowly came on less and less. Eventually it stopped ever coming on.

Since then I identified and corrected a lot of problems. It had incorrect pulleys, including, believe it or not, the crank pulley. The serpentine belt was wrong, to work with the wrong pulleys. I had to replace the water pump, so did the cam and crank seals and the timing belt at the same time, which is when I figured out all of the pulley issues. I'm now running a new alternator and all of the correct pulleys and belt. I hoped that the head unit itself was what was bad, so swapped in another used one. No luck.

The stereo just doesn't come on! No lights. No sound. The fuses are fresh. When the old stereo used to come on, the right rear speaker had no sound. Could an issue with the speaker, or the external amp, cause the entire head unit to malfunction?

Oh yeah! When I first got the car an unsecured spare had smashed the disc changer and the amp bracket. I replaced both (but never had a magazine for the disc changer). I can't remember how that fit into the timeline of the head unit not turning on.

Last edited by hoosier58; 09-23-14 at 05:40 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-28-14, 11:14 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

To clarify for anyone wondering this for future reference aftermarket products will go in the electronics section but we tried to leave specific OEM factory questions in the forum where other owners can help.

It wasn't always like this, we used to put all audio in the audio section however it's more driven to aftermarket products these days and we'd like for the owners to be able to speak about the factory stock things in their own forum.