SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I be dropping weight like I'm on the biggest loser

Old 09-21-14, 04:44 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

@LEXXIUM - thanks man! It's nice to see everyone as excited with what we do as we are...especially when moon roofs are starting to fail, like mine was.

@bigwhite - When you first mentioned yours I took a look at your avatar and I thought you had a rare no-moonroof optioned car. That looks great!

@friedrice - Thats a heck of a lot of weight dropped! Nice work for only one day! This piece took two days just to make the mold so what you pulled off was a miracle. Did you just do an overlay on the parts and pop them off when dry? What are you using to hold the door to the body? It looks like a nascar style entrance...slide through the window. I will definitely look through the weight savings thread and see if there is anything we can put our "touch" on to see if it is possible and functional. My goal is to be close to your weight and waterproof.
Old 09-21-14, 06:15 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

it's really that much!??!!? i was watching this 2 hour tutorial on how to make your own hood and the guy said materials would cost about 300-500 bucks! you probably have enough materials to make a whole car am i right lol??!?
Old 09-21-14, 06:54 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It be awesome if it was a functional sunroof! Still cool tho!
Old 09-21-14, 07:10 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct, I just made a door mold and used it as the final piece. Driver side has a hinge and hood pins for latches. Passenger side is hood pinned on for quick removal if necessary.

I've stayed dry in the 3 hours of rain I encountered. Just have to keep the speed up.
Old 09-21-14, 07:17 PM
Rezist89
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carbon fiber parts
Old 09-21-14, 09:07 PM
jdmstar69
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work! I was considering making a whole roof top skin for more serious people similar to what the porshe guys do (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-skins-fs.html) but I didn't get any interest. I have a hardtop car that can be used to make the mold from too, everyone is just too caught up in the luxury of these old *** cars haha
Old 09-22-14, 09:29 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Cool idea and probably very noticeable less body roll but I love my sunroof, wouldn't trade the 30+ pounds for anything. If I wanted a light vehicle to drift or whatever I would have chosen a monster motor to swap in or a different car all together..

Last edited by Kris9884; 09-22-14 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-22-14, 04:40 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

@oldmantan - You read correctly, all of the tools you need to make a resin infusion part add up. When my buddies and I started building stuff, we all agreed to only build high quality parts. The part alone will cost about $300-500 to make in supplies and consumables which doesn't include cost to build the mold. Look up resin vacuum infusion and you will see the benefits to it over wet hand lay up.

@Fried_Rice - Haha, just keep 'er above 35 and all stays dry. That was the mantra when I had a del sol (i know I know, I was 16 at the time)

@ jdmstar - Thanks man! A roof skin would be awesome, so many lbs could be tossed. I personally don't have the chutzpah to cut the skin off of a panel that covers so much real estate.

Everyone who has commented, thanks for your support!
Old 09-22-14, 09:48 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and how does it hold up to rain again?
Old 09-24-14, 10:57 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

@mikef - That has yet to be tested as the car is on stands right now. I will say the part is an almost exact fit and sort-of on the tight side right now, but no buckling. Putting some sealer or butyl rubber around the flange should keep things waterproof...it wont take much as the gap is literally flush to all of the metal flanges.
Old 09-24-14, 12:28 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
@mikef - That has yet to be tested as the car is on stands right now. I will say the part is an almost exact fit and sort-of on the tight side right now, but no buckling. Putting some sealer or butyl rubber around the flange should keep things waterproof...it wont take much as the gap is literally flush to all of the metal flanges.
Nice, I bet you could stretch the OEM seal on the carbon piece, that would just be too easy..
Old 09-24-14, 12:53 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

I wish it were that easy to reuse the seal, but with the age of the sc, many, including mine, were not in good shape. My moon roof was failing to close completely when fully open, but would close correctly if only tilted and had a lovely air leak whistle. With this we decided to ditch anything that could or had failed and go all new. 3m window weld is our seal of choice for the time being; same stuff you use with windshields.
Old 09-24-14, 02:45 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
I wish it were that easy to reuse the seal, but with the age of the sc, many, including mine, were not in good shape. My moon roof was failing to close completely when fully open, but would close correctly if only tilted and had a lovely air leak whistle. With this we decided to ditch anything that could or had failed and go all new. 3m window weld is our seal of choice for the time being; same stuff you use with windshields.
Makes sense, so are you not wanting to take it back out ever?
Old 09-27-14, 10:15 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

sub'd for pics! good luck with it.
Old 09-29-14, 08:30 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

This is a great idea. You guys should definitely think about making more of these in the future. If my sunroof ever fails I'd be first in line to get one of these

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I be dropping weight like I'm on the biggest loser