SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Bought My "Unicorn" today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 10:52 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaMotor
Thanks guys! Im actually torn on keeping original or modding it. Its tough for me not to..lol. Any advice?
Im thinking only suspension and wheels. I already put a down pipe, tint and intake . Dont want an exhaust unless it has a deep growl.
This is a tough one...that car is so mint the way it is that it will be worth more just leaving it alone...but on the other hand...these do look amazing with some mods...wheels and suspension are easy mods that don't require much. even an exhaust will be nice..just easy bolt on mods that are easily taken off if you want to make it bare stock again.
Old 09-18-14, 11:47 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I say BPU - FMIC, Exhaust, MBC, wheels, drop etc etc... You know you didnt buy it to grab the groceries....

Last edited by Kris9884; 09-18-14 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-18-14, 12:52 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way....

but I hate you lol.
Old 09-18-14, 01:58 PM
mrfresh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys..I've been in the car business for awhile and haven't seen a Supra this clean ever. As for price it Fell in my lap as a trade-in
That's what I thought when you said "The Dealership i work for" ... DAMN !!!!

The guy didn't even know what he had did he?
Old 09-18-14, 02:25 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Thanks guys! Im actually torn on keeping original or modding it. Its tough for me not to..lol. Any advice?
Im thinking only suspension and wheels. I already put a down pipe, tint and intake . Dont want an exhaust unless it has a deep growl.
I almost mentioned wheels but decided to bite my tongue for once. I absolutely love the car, except for the stock wheels. They just don't work on it at all, IMO. (Not a fan of them on the SC, either, but at least they fit over the caliper upgrades.) Go on TireRack and enter the car into their system so you can see what all the different wheel choices would look like on it. I bet you could find something that compliments it perfectly.
Old 09-18-14, 03:13 PM
Nojoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my unsolicited opinion, that particular car that you have there represents an era in automotive history that is most enjoyable in stock form.

Is that a boring opinion? It sure is. But my experiences have always been better experiencing cars like that as they were designed. If it were a 100k mile car in need of major upkeep it would certainly be a different story. Mint changes things in my opinion.

Unless you are going to engage in competitive racing of some sort, I don't see how messing with it is a benefit to the overall ownership experience in the long run, given the cost and time necessary to transform it into a one-off.

That's just my $.02.
Old 09-18-14, 03:34 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its already a v160 gte, if anything just do bpu
Old 09-18-14, 04:16 PM
AlphaMotor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nojoi
In my unsolicited opinion, that particular car that you have there represents an era in automotive history that is most enjoyable in stock form.

Is that a boring opinion? It sure is. But my experiences have always been better experiencing cars like that as they were designed. If it were a 100k mile car in need of major upkeep it would certainly be a different story. Mint changes things in my opinion.

Unless you are going to engage in competitive racing of some sort, I don't see how messing with it is a benefit to the overall ownership experience in the long run, given the cost and time necessary to transform it into a one-off.

That's just my $.02.
Your $.02 is pretty much my opinion also. I grew up thinking..one day i'm gonna own this car and finally its a reality. The stock look still appeals to me as if it was off the showroom floor. Ive never had so many people pull out their cell phones and take pics or give me thumbs up while i'm driving. If this vehicle is worth $30k 40k 50k or even 60k. It doesnt really matter since I intend to keep it forever and have fun driving it. Wheels are a definate must though eventually..
Old 09-18-14, 04:27 PM
Nojoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's for you to do with as you please.

But as an aside, 'Perfect 10' models don't need breast implants.

Ruins the aesthetic and all.
Old 09-18-14, 07:32 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Personally I'd lean towards keeping it stock or nearly stock. 1998 TT 6-speeds are the rarest of them all and it does represent a part of automotive history ^^^.

That said, if you want to build up to some more power while still keeping the car very "stock" you can convert it to BPU at around 15-17 psi depending on your local fuel (I'd keep the sequential mode) and store your #1 cat in your garage-- they're quite expensive.

Alternatively, are you aware of the STU GT28 hybrid turbo conversion? It uses stock USDM turbos (just pick up a used set-- don't use your 39k mile originals) with larger compressor and exhaust wheels capable of flowing 18psi all day long and 25-27psi maximum. You'd need a fuel system upgrade, bigger intercooler (front mount or an ultra-rare Chris Wilson SMIC made in the UK) but the engine bay would look 99.9% stock. And you can do all of this in sequential mode with some specific boost controllers.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...GT28R-s/page93

I wouldn't jump into that though. You've got a pristine last-year classic on your hands. A simple moderate boost BPU conversion should be a first step if you do decide to deviate from stock. Speaking to the guys at SpeedForSale a year ago, however, they claimed that one of their customers who didn't do much of anything to his TT got nearly 200k out of his stock twins.

Just food for thought all around and it really depends on what you want your car to be. As it is right now, I think you have an excellent investment just leaving it stock and enjoying it. Are you planning to use an antique agreed value policy to insure it? Just curious.
Old 09-19-14, 05:45 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Gorgeous car. Being in the auto business (Northside Lexus dealer) and being a CL member... we should get together sometime. Would love to see that in person!
Old 09-19-14, 09:48 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
Gorgeous car. Being in the auto business (Northside Lexus dealer) and being a CL member... we should get together sometime. Would love to see that in person!
I'd love to join this meeting
Old 09-19-14, 02:36 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wow it's so clean
Old 09-19-14, 03:57 PM
Flygfsh
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Beautiful Supra. I'd say change the wheels and enjoy on nice days only. Keep the miles low and the car original. That is where the long term investment is! Ask me how I know? I paid $1700 for below....25 years ago now.
Old 09-19-14, 07:59 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Alpha, really nice Supra...congrats! Flyfish, you're my new hero! lol

steve

Quick Reply: Bought My "Unicorn" today!