SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should I go ahead and buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-14, 06:22 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol but his has an additional 100K on it. I think it's $2000-2500. $3500 is his posted price.... No one posts a price that they expect to get they always start high to give room for negotiations. Tell him $2000 cash no bullshlt, it needs major tune up, fluids flushed and refilled. And probably more so, interior work, audio work....it add's up quick.
Old 09-12-14, 07:46 PM
2JZ4lyfe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Thats funny cuz 3-4 days ago there were at least 4 Soarers in the Vancouver craigslist, all under $5k.. I know there's a few for sale on RevScene, one nice white one, think the seller was asking $4200 outta Abbotsford. Either way, stay away from this one, its going to be a PITA.

What part of BC are you in? Lower mainland?
2 on craigslist, one for 7200, and another for 6800. Ill take a look at rev scene.
Also im in burnaby.

Edit: guys asking 5500, on revscene. Could try and grab it for 4200-4500, the car also needs a waterpump.

Last edited by 2JZ4lyfe; 09-12-14 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 09:36 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I believe that I saw somewhere (Instagram if I remember correctly?) that he would take $4200 for it and not a penny less.

Also, I'm in New West, if you ever need help or advise with an SC dont hesistate to ask!
Old 09-12-14, 09:56 PM
2JZ4lyfe
Rookie

^ I believe that I saw somewhere (Instagram if I remember correctly?) that he would take $4200 for it and not a penny less.

Also, I'm in New West, if you ever need help or advise with an SC dont hesistate to ask!
I e-mailed him and this was his respone.

"5500, as of now and i dont really have more pics lol, to dark for more"

Could your source out where/what instagram page he said $4200.

Trying to stay under $4800, that includes replacing the waterpump, plus I am only a student,

Thanks.

Last edited by 2JZ4lyfe; 09-12-14 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 11:21 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Sorry I looked and cant seem to remember where he posted that.

I bet if you show up with $4500 he'd be hard pressed to say no, I know he's been trying to sell it for a long time now. Either way, it would be a much better buy than that SC300.
Your other options are to give it some time, I see Soarers popping up for sale on a fairly regular basis in the LM.
Old 09-12-14, 11:28 PM
2JZ4lyfe
Rookie

The RHD factor is just getting in the way. Hopefully I can convince my parents, its my money anyways.
Old 09-13-14, 08:24 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2JZ4lyfe
The RHD factor is just getting in the way. Hopefully I can convince my parents, its my money anyways.
Drive it all day and you will be used to it by night. I rented one in New Zealand and it was tricky for the first couple hours but I was much more comfortable that evening. Driving on the opposite side of the road was harder actually.
Old 09-13-14, 11:18 PM
2JZ4lyfe
Rookie

Found another Soarer: Askin Price $5500

R154 5 speed swap.
Apexi BOV
Apexi turbo timer
Newer FMIC and piping
new Mishimoto radiator
Stage 2 clutch
Lightened flywheel
dual catback exhaust with Hiflow cat
Tein adjustable coilovers
All electronics in the interior work
Blue paint job only a few years old.
18' MSR 095
New Edelbrock air fliter
Has around 320hp to the rear wheels

You guys think I can get this for $4200-4500?
Ad has been up for a month, and he recently took it down as someone else is really interested.

Last edited by 2JZ4lyfe; 09-13-14 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-13-14, 11:54 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Is it that silver '99 that still needs to be shipped? No it cant be..

Post pics of this one, but it sounds like a steal. Guys on this forum would give their right leg to own a Soarer with those mods, let alone for around $5k. You see SC300's with those mods in the Classifieds on this forum go for $10k+ all day.
Old 09-14-14, 12:02 AM
2JZ4lyfe
Rookie

Is it that silver '99 that still needs to be shipped? No it cant be..

Post pics of this one, but it sounds like a steal. Guys on this forum would give their right leg to own a Soarer with those mods, let alone for around $5k. You see SC300's with those mods in the Classifieds on this forum go for $10k+ all day.
He had pictures on his Craigslist Ad before he took it down as a someone that was really interested came down from Kelowna to check it out. He hasn't purchased the vehicle but the seller told me he will when he comes down again. So unfortunately I can't Upload Pictures.

Hopefully I can ****** the car on Monday when I go meet him. He is all the way up in chilliwack.

Only thing that is broken on the car is the Hood Latch. He is telling me that everything else is good.

I hope he doesn't refuse a $4200-4500 cash offer. Or wait for the other guy.
Old 09-14-14, 07:57 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

You risk insulting him with that low of an offer. If you want the car, pay what it is worth. It sounds like he already has better options, no offense.
Old 09-14-14, 08:42 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
You risk insulting him with that low of an offer. If you want the car, pay what it is worth. It sounds like he already has better options, no offense.
The OP mentioned that he was a young student. It may be much easier for him to pull that off without insult....... MAYBE!
Old 09-14-14, 09:55 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
The OP mentioned that he was a young student. It may be much easier for him to pull that off without insult....... MAYBE!
I'll agree with the "MAYBE!" Young student implies less responsible driver, and if you've put that kind of time and effort into modding a high performance car, would you opt for a low ball offer by someone who's more likely to wrap your blood, sweat, and tears around a tree?

2JZ4lyfe, look for something in your price range... You'll have a much more pleasant all-around transaction that way. If you can't find anything nearby, which: a) seems very unlikely, and b) tells me you haven't looked very hard, then look to Seattle a couple hours away. There are tons of SCs advertised there all the time. Importing a US car into Canada isn't too difficult, I'm told.
Old 09-14-14, 10:29 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by t2d2
I'll agree with the "MAYBE!" Young student implies less responsible driver, and if you've put that kind of time and effort into modding a high performance car, would you opt for a low ball offer by someone who's more likely to wrap your blood, sweat, and tears around a tree?

2JZ4lyfe, look for something in your price range... You'll have a much more pleasant all-around transaction that way. If you can't find anything nearby, which: a) seems very unlikely, and b) tells me you haven't looked very hard, then look to Seattle a couple hours away. There are tons of SCs advertised there all the time. Importing a US car into Canada isn't too difficult, I'm told.
I have to disagree here. His blood, sweat and tears is represented in whatever price he accepts for the car. Who cares who drives it after you sell it. It would be nice if they took great care of it but that's an extra or luxury in some cases and not really the sellers business.
I also believe there is nothing lost by trying to get this car that is just out of your range. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. All he can say is no.
I say, If you want it and you can get the Soarer, get the Soarer by all means but be careful. As t2d2 alluded to, this car is a very different beast and is much easier to get yourself into trouble with. Especially in wet weather. Learn how to stay out of boost when you don't have sufficient traction and keep the best season appropriate tires on that car you can afford. Most members here that have crashed their boosted cars have done so in wet weather.

"All around pleasant transaction" and "import" are mutually exclusive in most cases.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 09-14-14 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-14-14, 10:30 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Importing is actually a long and tedious process. There are a number of steps and paperwork that needs to be done, a number of things you need to have completed. You really need to know what your doing because any mistakes can end up in fines or the car not being able to be insured in Canada. Even with knowing what your doing it still costs money, about $1000 once all said and done, and takes about a month to do (less time and cheaper if you know what your doing).

As for 'insulting' the seller, I dont think offering $4000 on a $5500 is unreasonable at all. Offering $2500 would be an insult. Even then, it doesnt hurt to start low - its called 'negoitiating'.

I'm still really curious about this car though, I browse through local craiglist for Soarers and SC's every once in a while to see whats out there, and I cant recall this one.

Quick Reply: Should I go ahead and buy it?