SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anyone roll their own fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 07:57 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwes
I don't see how people mess this up. I did mine on the first time and chip the paint on only one fender. That was because I got impatient. But the chip is so small u can't even notice it. Other than that all the other sides that I did came out good. I also slightly overheated the fender since I was doing it alone. Another factor that helped me was it was about 90 degrees outside so the heat on the fender stayed a little longer. It took me 10 hours to do it but I got it done.
Wow ten hours thats a long time! If I end up doing it myself I'll take my time. I'm in Vegas and its still in the 100's so that should help. Did you have to dremel anything? I noticed irondonkey mentioned dremeling the tabs on the rear fenders.
Old 09-07-14, 07:03 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup mine took that long too
Old 09-07-14, 07:35 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This may be one of the keys to getting it right. The guy who did an amazing job on my 300 took the same amount of time on one wheel as the guy who messed up my 400 did on the whole car.
Old 09-07-14, 03:21 PM
Equalizir
Driver

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/4632883963.html

I found this guy on Craigslist who has a mobile fender rolling service. I'm going to ask him if he's done any Sc's.
Old 09-07-14, 04:04 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Equalizir
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/4632883963.html

I found this guy on Craigslist who has a mobile fender rolling service. I'm going to ask him if he's done any Sc's.
YMMV but that's how my disaster started. I found a guy that was advertised and super popular with hundreds of rolls (other cars tho). Since he had done so many, I figured "how can I go wrong?"
I would go by word of mouth from Sc owners that have used the guy. Verify SC experience. Personally, I would contact Lance Calitri (CalitriSC) and find out who his community of Sc freaks uses. These guys are FASTIDIOUS about their cars and if someone harmed them, they would never work in Vegas again i'd assume. They all have gorgeous cars, big wheels and "spot on" fitment. Whoever they use is Badass, believe me!
Ask him man, he will know!
Old 09-08-14, 03:54 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
YMMV but that's how my disaster started. I found a guy that was advertised and super popular with hundreds of rolls (other cars tho). Since he had done so many, I figured "how can I go wrong?"
I would go by word of mouth from Sc owners that have used the guy. Verify SC experience. Personally, I would contact Lance Calitri (CalitriSC) and find out who his community of Sc freaks uses. These guys are FASTIDIOUS about their cars and if someone harmed them, they would never work in Vegas again i'd assume. They all have gorgeous cars, big wheels and "spot on" fitment. Whoever they use is Badass, believe me!
Ask him man, he will know!
ok thanks man Ill ask him
Old 09-08-14, 06:20 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I rolled my own fenders it shouldnt take you more than an hr to do each fender.....it is much easier with two people....one to run the heat gun and other to use the fender roller.....the technique that I found that worked the best was to constantly keep moving the heat gun around the arches...I did get a few small dipples but from other SC's I have seen it is pretty hard to do it without getting any and it is literally impossible to do it without the paint cracking...
Old 09-08-14, 06:47 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
I rolled my own fenders it shouldnt take you more than an hr to do each fender.....it is much easier with two people....one to run the heat gun and other to use the fender roller.....the technique that I found that worked the best was to constantly keep moving the heat gun around the arches...I did get a few small dipples but from other SC's I have seen it is pretty hard to do it without getting any and it is literally impossible to do it without the paint cracking...
DO NOT try to do this in one hour!
That is the reason you got dimples and cracked paint. Mine that were done in one hour have dimples and paint cracks. The guy who took his time created a masterpiece.
All due respect but if you did not get great results, why advise someone on how to do it. Especially telling them it shouldn't take any more time than you took.
Look at my build thread. I have zero dimples and zero cracked paint on the red 300. If you look at my blue 400. It looks like yours likely does.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 09-08-14, 07:57 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

DO NOT try to do this in one hour!
That is the reason you got dimples and cracked paint. Mine that were done in one hour have dimples and paint cracks. The guy who took his time created a masterpiece.
All due respect but if you did not get great results, why advise someone on how to do it. Especially telling them it shouldn't take any more time than you took.
Look at my build thread. I have zero dimples and zero cracked paint on the red 300. If you look at my blue 400. It looks like yours likely does.

Thanks,
Tony
All 4 corners are rolled completely flat

My results turned out good...if you know what you are doing there is no reason why it should take more than 1 hr per fender

And the initial thread was started asking who has done their own fenders.....i.e not done by a shop

FYI....I have seem some pretty bad work done by shops before

Last edited by CatManD3W; 09-08-14 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-08-14, 02:28 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Question

All 4 corners are rolled completely flat

My results turned out good...if you know what you are doing there is no reason why it should take more than 1 hr per fender

And the initial thread was started asking who has done their own fenders.....i.e not done by a shop

FYI....I have seem some pretty bad work done by shops before
CatmanD3W,
All I am saying is cracked paint and wavy fenders are not a good result by my standards. One guy did it in the time frame you suggest on my 400, and got the same cracked paint and wavy fenders you got. The guy that did my 300 took all day and I have perfect fenders with no waves and no chipped paint. Why would you suggest someone NOT take their time and get result number one, when they could take their time and get result number two? How is cracked paint and wavy fenders preferable to spending more time and perfect fenders? What is bad about taking your time?

PS: I agree, shops can screw this up as easily as an individual can.
PPS: I can't see the waves and cracked paint you refer to in these pics. It looks fine in the pictures. Props for digging in yourself. Looks like you are building a beast there!

SG

Last edited by Studiogeek; 09-08-14 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-08-14, 03:37 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

CatmanD3W,
All I am saying is cracked paint and wavy fenders are not a good result by my standards. One guy did it in the time frame you suggest on my 400, and got the same cracked paint and wavy fenders you got. The guy that did my 300 took all day and I have perfect fenders with no waves and no chipped paint. Why would you suggest someone NOT take their time and get result number one, when they could take their time and get result number two? How is cracked paint and wavy fenders preferable to spending more time and perfect fenders? What is bad about taking your time?

PS: I agree, shops can screw this up as easily as an individual can.
PPS: I can't see the waves and cracked paint you refer to in these pics. It looks fine in the pictures. Props for digging in yourself. Looks like you are building a beast there!

SG
Agreed.....I am a perfectionist when it comes to my car.....the minimal dipples and cracks that I got are mostly on the inside of the lip that was rolled flat.....They are not even noticeable....

Believe me I completely agree not to rush things and do it right....that being said it did take me over an hr to do the first fender but once you figure out the technique for the right amount of heat and pressure to be applied on fender lip it will go much quicker and smoother...

The best results are to do the fender in stages.....start with a slight angle to get the lip starting to bend and work up to the point when the roller should be completely flat...

Thanks...it has come a long way!!!
Old 09-08-14, 03:38 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aside from purposely not caring for my cars paint, I rolled my rear fenders (both sides) in about 30min. However, I have rolled several other fenders (6-8 other cars) in about an hour for a pair with no chipped paint or dimples. It can be done, just mind the amount of heat you use and take the roller pressure carefully and slowly.

Also before rolling, clean the inner fender lip and remove the the plastic trim tabs. These are commonly overlooked and can ruin everything and from a couple of the fenders that I fixed that were rolled by the "professional" local shops, guess what...full of dirt and plastic tabs still in place. Even if you shave the fenders, clean them anyway. You will get better results.

If you dont heat the paint enough it will crack and chip, heat it too much and well you get the exact opposite. Another tip before rolling, use a rubber mallet ( in moderation) to get the inner fender lip to start an upward angle. This helps take some of the stress off the metal when you start rolling. So heat the fender and massage with the mallet.

If I had a vehicle to use as demonstration, I would make a quick tip video but I hope that bit of info is useful.
Old 09-09-14, 03:56 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Default Looking good

Agreed.....I am a perfectionist when it comes to my car.....the minimal dipples and cracks that I got are mostly on the inside of the lip that was rolled flat.....They are not even noticeable....

Believe me I completely agree not to rush things and do it right....that being said it did take me over an hr to do the first fender but once you figure out the technique for the right amount of heat and pressure to be applied on fender lip it will go much quicker and smoother...

The best results are to do the fender in stages.....start with a slight angle to get the lip starting to bend and work up to the point when the roller should be completely flat...

Thanks...it has come a long way!!!
That piece is coming together nice. I finally got my project underway 2 months ago, should be done In 2-3 wks. What's a good price to pay for rolling? I might have to roll n pull.
Old 09-09-14, 06:25 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Equalizir
Wow ten hours thats a long time! If I end up doing it myself I'll take my time. I'm in Vegas and its still in the 100's so that should help. Did you have to dremel anything? I noticed irondonkey mentioned dremeling the tabs on the rear fenders.
Only reason why it took that long was I was also doing the harness relocation as well when I came to that fender.

Don't forget to relocate your harness either
Old 09-10-14, 04:35 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by bigwes
Only reason why it took that long was I was also doing the harness relocation as well when I came to that fender.

Don't forget to relocate your harness either
Ok I won't forget. Thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone roll their own fenders?