SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anyone roll their own fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 08:42 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone roll their own fenders?

Hi guys. I'm thinking of rolling my own fenders and wanted to know if anyone has done this before? I found that ebay sells the roller so if it's not that difficult I might just go for it. I'm having trouble finding anyone in Vegas that does it. I know I also need a heat gun. So if anyone has done it I'd appreciate any advice. I tried finding information on this in the diy area but I couldn't find anything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Eastwood-Fender-Roller-Lip-Forming-Rolling-Tool-for-Larger-Tires-/231305523176?hash=item35dae22fe8&item=231305523176&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
Old 09-05-14, 08:53 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any racing shops in your area? If so, see if they will let u rent one.
Also, do one section of the fender at a time. Make sure when before u roll the fender that it's hot to the touch so u won't Crack the paint. U want to roll the fender in increments. Meaning don't try to get it flat to the fender on the first try. BE PATIENT. Adjust the roller as needed to the area that u apply the roll too. Do the rears first as they are the hardest. The fronts are a piece of cake. Also, watch YouTube videos as well. They give a good visual of what your suppose to do.
Old 09-05-14, 09:42 PM
Boxxx
Rookie

Kawasaki makes a good heat gun for fairly cheap.
Old 09-05-14, 10:04 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It's WAY easy to mess up the Sc fenders. The metal is very strong and thick. It has the holes in the lip that are hard to roll and get a fully smooth effect without shaving them first. I had a guy who has done hundreds of cars mess up my fenders. I had another guy who has done way fewer cars create a masterpiece on my other Sc by shaving first, taking the better part of a day, and I LOVE the results.

I'd practice on a crap fender first if you love your car and want perfection.
Old 09-05-14, 10:15 PM
TNSCupra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
It's WAY easy to mess up the Sc fenders. The metal is very strong and thick. It has the holes in the lip that are hard to roll and get a fully smooth effect without shaving them first. I had a guy who has done hundreds of cars mess up my fenders. I had another guy who has done way fewer cars create a masterpiece on my other Sc by shaving first, taking the better part of a day, and I LOVE the results.

I'd practice on a crap fender first if you love your car and want perfection.
Damn glad you said that. I've got a good friend who has rolled just about every clean, feature worthy car in town and I was about to let him roll my sc in a couple weeks. Not sure what route I'll go now.
Old 09-05-14, 10:35 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It you dont roll them flat they should look fine
Old 09-05-14, 10:51 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikef
It you dont roll them flat they should look fine
Mine are not rolled flat and they are pretty messed up.
Old 09-05-14, 10:52 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

can you take a pic?^ because i did mine my own and they came out great
Old 09-05-14, 11:06 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

can you take a pic?^ because i did mine my own and they came out great
Then I wish you did my 400 instead of the guy who did them. I'll grab some tomorrow when I'm near the car. They are wavy where the holes are and he chipped the paint. He tried to do them too fast like it was Honda metal. On the 300, you can't tell they were rolled at all, it just fits bigger wheels
Old 09-06-14, 12:23 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

i roll fenders and i dont see how people mess them up. then again, i've done plenty of fenders.

if you want to roll the fronts, you can only do it where the body line meet, so it's not very much. you'll also need to take off the fender liner, as well as get a dremel and shave off the tabs that are on the fenders.

the rears are pretty simple, just make sure you use a heat gun, and have another person apply the heat as you roll the fender.
Old 09-06-14, 06:34 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

^ I heated mine
Old 09-06-14, 07:29 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Angry

^ I heated mine
That is an absolute must if you like your paint. My first guy heated mine but not enough. He still chipped the paint on all four.
Old 09-06-14, 07:40 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Man now I'm worried about doing it myself. I was going to say that you can now rent the heat gun and roller thru Ebay for $40. Now I'm not sure what I should do. I'm not as worried about the paint because I'm having the car painted next year but if I can avoid chipping the paint that would be nice. I don't see how you can warp the fender if you take your time.
Old 09-06-14, 07:45 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

I don't see how people mess this up. I did mine on the first time and chip the paint on only one fender. That was because I got impatient. But the chip is so small u can't even notice it. Other than that all the other sides that I did came out good. I also slightly overheated the fender since I was doing it alone. Another factor that helped me was it was about 90 degrees outside so the heat on the fender stayed a little longer. It took me 10 hours to do it but I got it done.
Old 09-06-14, 07:45 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Does anyone know of anyone in Vegas that does fender rolling? I already posted in the regional forum but nothing yet.

Quick Reply: Anyone roll their own fenders?