SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

95 Lexus Sc300 Ground issues and Drained Battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 03:05 PM
Preppy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Lexus Sc300 Ground issues and Drained Battery

Please Help? I have a 95 sc300 #PreppyOne and i have just come into a lot of problems and i have been looking for weeks/months for real answers online:

#4 Ground issues, When i first bought the car, i used to have to pull over on the side of the road cause my lights were dimming and the stereo would shut off for a second like the alternator was failing because of every time i touched the breaks and the only fix was i would pull the ground cable off the battery and put it back on like a reset. So i finally took it to a shop said my grounds were bad, cost me $300 for diagnosis and replacement. it helped but i do still every 500 miles have to disconnect the battery and now everything is working for the most part but when i touch the breaks and i can feel the vent fan slow down, what the hell? and yes i have checked all the wires to the brake system. im so confused on whats draining the car. if i leave it sitting for 3 days and ride my bike or another car i come back and have to charge the battery to start it! any Clues or anyone with similar issues???
Old 09-03-14, 06:41 PM
F4A22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually it's the radio or rear view mirror.checking for a draw isn't hard.Google how all it takes is a cheap voltmeter(free at harbor freight) and time.
Old 09-03-14, 10:21 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$300 for diagnosis and replacement?! All you had to do was strip some of the ground cable insulation and look at the color of the copper strands. A grounding kit is about $40-70 on that over popular auction site.

But as F4A22 said you need to find the source of the drain. Check the positive hot cable from the alternator to the fuse box, this also may be a culprit if its not transferring power properly. Check all your fuses that are 12v switched with the car off and see if any maintain power draw.

Also if by chance the car is lowered, be sure to check your drivers side fender harness, make sure you have not torn through it.
Old 09-04-14, 10:34 AM
Preppy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbodremz
$300 for diagnosis and replacement?! All you had to do was strip some of the ground cable insulation and look at the color of the copper strands. A grounding kit is about $40-70 on that over popular auction site.
I bought one of those multi grounds and it did not help it actually made a weaker connection, i ended up removing it.
Old 09-04-14, 10:51 AM
Preppy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbodremz
But as F4A22 said you need to find the source of the drain. Check the positive hot cable from the alternator to the fuse box, this also may be a culprit if its not transferring power properly. Check all your fuses that are 12v switched with the car off and see if any maintain power draw.
Its peculiar you brought this up. When i converted over from a clutch fan to electric fans i could only find 1 fuse under the hood that was not supplied with power while the car was off?