SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Man down, man down....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 04:01 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Man down, man down....

Welp, she's been with me for almost 11 years, and she's been one hell of a car (minus the blown HG, but she still drove), but the infamous texting while driving has claimed yet another. I was just about to store her and do a 2JZ-GTE conversion, then I get a call at work that a lady who wasn't paying attention, slammed into the back of her in a godawful Leaf, while texting. Still waiting to get the word back on the damages, but it doesn't look/sound good. At first I was thinking "thank god it wasn't my new GS!" Then after thinking about it, this is almost worse First car, and hopefully I can salvage her. Anyways, just a reminder to keep your eyes on the road at all times, gang!

Last edited by TRD_Power; 09-03-14 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-02-14, 04:07 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to see this but at least you weren't in it. You should sue for emotional distress!!!!!
Old 09-02-14, 04:12 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Wow, that looks bad. Hopefully you can fix it or get a new SC. Those rear quarter panels are expensive to fix though.
Old 09-02-14, 04:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Sorry to see this but very glad no injuries! This one's been in the family a long time
Old 09-02-14, 07:56 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Take any and all receipts for permanent changes and bring them to your insurance adjustor. Worst that can happen is that you add to the totaled value. This is so upsetting, OP. This is how I lost my last car: a clueless kid texting while driving and crashing into my rear at 25mph or more while I was stopped. Idiots. There do need to be more severe consequences for people who cause an accident while texting. We now have OEM and aftermarket car receivers that can connect to phones and allow voice control. There is no excuse for this. I hope you can save the car from being totaled and get a used quarter welded in.

And as mentioned above, you could have been inside the car when this happened.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-02-14 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 08:24 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

im hurt just looking at it. not sure how WA is but in CA that looks like a total loss.
Old 09-02-14, 08:28 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

insurance wont do anything if he didnt pay the extra premium first, cant just bring the value up on the work you did without telling your insurance, mine is set to 25k

just sue, you might get a little more
Old 09-02-14, 10:02 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about it! Hopefully you come back to another
Other driver must of been going 30-40mph because that damage looks similar to my old SC except mine was right down the middle of the rear. And yup pretty sure that person was texting and driving aswell.
Old 09-03-14, 01:10 AM
Michael3UZ
Rookie

Aww damn, thats really sad!

Looks like it could be repairable with a new 1/4 panel / rear bumper / boot floor and boot lid?

Unless the chassis has been twisted slightly...
Old 09-03-14, 01:58 AM
Penthos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn dude that's brutally painful to look at.. If that happened to my sc (and I just got it!) I would Kamehameha the crap out of someone.
Old 09-03-14, 07:54 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

This sucks *****. I would sue her for all that she is worth.
Was this a teen or an adult
Old 09-03-14, 08:23 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Dang, another one down. Hate to say it but that's totaled.. What are your plans with the insurance check, GS parts or another SC?
Old 09-03-14, 08:39 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Man I'm sorry to see another clean one go, I hope you're ok, if you're not ok, call your attorney and go to the doctor for every little abnormality your health health pattern and pains. Go to physical therapy, get as many medical bills as you can, finance them for a long term and present every medical bill to your attorney from your doc and get paid when you win the case( most want to settle within 12 months!!!), because you were hit from the back it's automatically fault of the driver of the electric piece of **** slow car

Ps don't take a $300 from front her or his ins company and don't sign anything, but attorneys paperwork.

Good luck to you my sc brother!!!

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 09-03-14 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Added some stuff
Old 09-03-14, 11:14 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by kbb
Sorry to see this but at least you weren't in it. You should sue for emotional distress!!!!!
Haha, I keep kicking myself since I WAS going to take it to my gf's and park it safely in the garage, but I felt like driving the GS, since it had been a while.... Ugh... Glad I wasn't in it, too!

Originally Posted by Kira X
Wow, that looks bad. Hopefully you can fix it or get a new SC. Those rear quarter panels are expensive to fix though.
Very spendy, unfortunately Still waiting to get the estimate back from the body shop. Fingers crossed!

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Sorry to see this but very glad no injuries! This one's been in the family a long time
Definitely a long time, and was hoping to keep it forever

Originally Posted by GSXMike
****ty. Did you call the police a file a report? Did she get a ticket? She should have.
Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Take any and all receipts for permanent changes and bring them to your insurance adjustor. Worst that can happen is that you add to the totaled value. This is so upsetting, OP. This is how I lost my last car: a clueless kid texting while driving and crashing into my rear at 25mph or more while I was stopped. Idiots. There do need to be more severe consequences for people who cause an accident while texting. We now have OEM and aftermarket car receivers that can connect to phones and allow voice control. There is no excuse for this. I hope you can save the car from being totaled and get a used quarter welded in.
trying to gather up as much as I can! Might pull the Tein CS-T's out, as well as the RMM axleback exhaust, then sell it off (if it's totaled). Hope to save her though.

And as mentioned above, you could have been inside the car when this happened.
Originally Posted by k7q
im hurt just looking at it. not sure how WA is but in CA that looks like a total loss.
Most likely is a total loss, but hopefully we can get her to breathe again! Too many good memories in her

Originally Posted by mikef
insurance wont do anything if he didnt pay the extra premium first, cant just bring the value up on the work you did without telling your insurance, mine is set to 25k

just sue, you might get a little more
I'm thinking if they total it out, I'll get MAYBE $5,000 And to me, $5,000 isn't worth the memories... Sucks!

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Sorry to hear about it! Hopefully you come back to another
Other driver must of been going 30-40mph because that damage looks similar to my old SC except mine was right down the middle of the rear. And yup pretty sure that person was texting and driving aswell.
Sorry to hear you lost your SC as well I'll definitely be picking up a heap to restore into a turbo monster, if this one doesn't make it out alive. Damn texters

Originally Posted by Michael3UZ
Aww damn, thats really sad!

Looks like it could be repairable with a new 1/4 panel / rear bumper / boot floor and boot lid?

Unless the chassis has been twisted slightly...
Chassis damage is what I'm fearing here Cop said (and we can ALWAYS trust a cop, right.....? Right....?) it looked like she was doing 35-40 in a 25.

Originally Posted by Penthos
Damn dude that's brutally painful to look at.. If that happened to my sc (and I just got it!) I would Kamehameha the crap out of someone.
Haha, I was pretty ticked when I got the call at work! Pretty sure I would've reached my final form had I been there

Originally Posted by bigwes
This sucks *****. I would sue her for all that she is worth.
Was this a teen or an adult
She was an adult, probably in her late 30's-early 40's.

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Dang, another one down. Hate to say it but that's totaled.. What are your plans with the insurance check, GS parts or another SC?
I'm leaving the GS bone stock (minus the tint, haha), so if anything, I'd keep the money and put it towards the house fund. If I can, I might try to buy the car back after it gets totaled out, but not sure how all the laws work here with that yet.

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Man I'm sorry to see another clean one go, I hope you're ok, if you're not ok, call your attorney and go to the doctor for every little abnormality your health health pattern and pains. Go to physical therapy, get as many medical bills as you can, finance them for a long term and present every medical bill to your attorney from your doc and get paid when you win the case( most want to settle within 12 months!!!), because you were hit from the back it's automatically fault of the driver of the electric piece of **** slow car

Ps don't take a $300 from front her or his ins company and don't sign anything, but attorneys paperwork.

Good luck to you my sc brother!!!
Thanks, man! I'm going to be contacting an attorney if they throw me a crappy lowball figure. Thankfully I wasn't in the car, so that eliminates the medical bill part..... Perhaps "emotional distress"?
Old 09-03-14, 11:23 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

definitely some heavy damage for a parked car.... Subscribed to hear about insurance claim...

Quick Reply: Man down, man down....