SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

So you want a RHD Toyota Soarer, eh?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 07:17 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So you want a RHD Toyota Soarer, eh?

So I contacted the EPA in order to get he facts about importing a RHD vehicle, such as the coveted: Nissan: Skyline GT-R, Nissan: Silva, and the Toyota: Soarer, etc.

Here's the email. If you want a genuine Toyota: Active-Soarer, or a Skyline GT-R, this is what you need to talk to your importer about folks; otherwise they may be selling you an illegal vehicle, and if you get stopped, it'll be impounded. So have the paper-work in the glove-box, ready at all times, and be prepared to have an answer for the cops, when they ask why you're seated on the right, like a friggin' Mailman, haha.

To: <blackmountainenterprise@gmail.com>

Date: Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Subject: Importing a Right-Hand Drive Vehicle

Marcos Duarte,
Thank you for your inquiry. The Nissan Skyline was never manufactured for sale in the U.S. and does not comply to U.S. Federal emission standards. The vehicle would need to be modified, tested and certified by an Independent Commercial Importer (ICI). If an ICI is unwilling or unable to certify that vehicle then it cannot be imported. Keep in mind that these types of conversions can exceed the value of the vehicle.

U.S. version vehicles are vehicles that were: (1) manufactured in conformity with Federal emission requirements, (2) manufactured in accordance with a specific EPA certificate of conformity, and (3) manufactured with a U.S. emissions compliance label in the engine compartment that identifies them in the English language as conforming to all EPA requirements. Many U.S. version cars and light-duty trucks built since the mid 1970s and almost all U.S. version cars and light-duty trucks built since 1980 were originally manufactured with a catalytic converter and/or oxygen sensor.

Not all vehicles equipped with catalytic converters are certified U.S. version vehicles. For example, virtually all catalyst equipped vehicles marketed by manufacturers for sale in Europe are not certified U.S. versions. For a vehicle to be eligible for importation as a U.S. version vehicle, it must have a manufacturer-equipped EPA emissions label in the English language in the engine compartment (or on the frame of a motorcycle, or on the block of a heavy-duty engine), or it must be accompanied by a letter from the U.S. representative of the manufacturer that states the vehicle was originally manufactured to be a U.S. certified version or subsequently converted to conform to EPA requirements. Otherwise, the vehicle will be considered by EPA to be a non-U.S. version vehicle.

The regulations governing EPA's program for importing non-U.S. version vehicles were originally provided for in 1972 in the Clean Air Act (Act). These regulations ensure that all imported vehicles are brought into conformity with applicable emission standards. Section 203 of the Act prohibits importing any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine not covered by a certificate of conformity unless it is exempted by EPA or otherwise authorized jointly by EPA and Customs.

The authority to allow the importation of nonconforming vehicles is discretionary with EPA and Customs. Customs will not permit admission of your vehicle until both emission (EPA) and safety (Department of Transportation) requirements for conditional admission are met, as well as all other Federal requirements. For a non-U.S. version vehicle to enter the U.S., it must be imported by either an individual who has a written letter of exemption from EPA, or by an Independent Commercial Importer (ICI), who is a private business in the U.S. that holds a valid EPA certificate of conformity. The ICI will modify and test the vehicle, as applicable, to meet the EPA emission requirements.

Independent Commercial Importers import vehicles into the U.S. for modification and testing purposes so that the vehicles, upon final admission by EPA, comply with Federal emission requirements. Whether a vehicle may be imported depends on several factors, including the year in which the vehicle will be imported and the qualifications of the ICI. First, eligibility varies from year to year depending upon the age of the vehicle. A vehicle's age is determined by subtracting the calendar year in which it was originally manufactured from the calendar year of importation. For example, a European manufactured vehicle built in 1986 and imported into the U.S. in 1996 would be ten years old. Second, the ICI has to have a currently valid certificate of conformity, and if the vehicle's age is less than six years old, the ICI must have a currently valid certificate of conformity for a vehicle specifically like yours (i.e. same make, model, model year, and engine).

Before making any purchase or shipping arrangements, you should be sure that there is an ICI who is eligible to import your vehicle and willing to import your vehicle and that you are prepared to pay the ICI charges. Vehicles required to be imported by ICIs must be entered through Customs by the ICI, not the vehicle owner, and must not be given to the vehicle owner until after the vehicle has met all EPA requirements and has been finally admitted by EPA. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/ici-list.htm

Please visit our web site for a list of ICIs to contact if your vehicle is a nonconforming vehicle. You can also find more information on the importation on motor vehicles on our web site
(http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/). Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns.

NON-CONFORMING (NON-U.S. VERSION) VEHICLES
*EPA strongly recommends that prospective importers buy only U. S. version (labeled) vehicles, because of the expense and potential difficulties involved with importing a non-U.S. version vehicle.

*EPA strongly recommends that current owners of non-U.S. version vehicles sell or otherwise dispose of those vehicles overseas rather than ship and import them into the U.S., because of the expense and potential difficulties involved with importing a non-U.S. version vehicle.

*The EPA policy which permitted importers a one-time exemption for vehicles at least five years old has been eliminated.

*Before shipping a non-conforming vehicle for importation, EPA strongly recommends that the importer either make final arrangements with an ICI for modifications and testing, or obtain EPA approval in writing for importation. Storage fees at the ports are costly, and the vehicle may not be eligible for importation.

*Not all non-conforming vehicles are eligible for importation, and ICIs are not required to accept vehicles for which they have qualifying certificates of conformity.

*EPA certification of ICIs does not guarantee the actions or work of the ICIs, nor does it regulate contractual agreements and working relationships with vehicle owners.

You will also need to contact the Department of Transportation (DOT) at 202-366-5291 or www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ for the HS-7 form and DOT import regulations.

David C. Hurlin
EPA Imports Line
Exemptions & Exclusions
Managed by Jacobs, Contractor
Phone: (734) 214-4098 or 4100
Fax: (734) 214-4676
Old 08-28-14, 08:14 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

A very interesting read. So I know there are rules for a car to be imported that are younger than 25 years. I thought there were also rules for a car that's older to be exempt from certain regulations and inspections? For example, I saw someone on instagram import a '89 R32 GTR and seemed very easy?? Hopefully that's the case so that in 2 years, we could get a Soarer here easier.

All that being said, the only cool thing about a Soarer is the RHD and the small random features they have that we never got. 1J swaps are common and fairly straight forward.. Sounds very expensive and technical for the minimal benefits. With how unorganized the police are around here, I could easily see some hot head cop impound a car because they don't understand the paperwork and make it a huge pain to get back... Tough stuff.
Old 08-28-14, 08:48 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, there's also my personal favorite, the Active-Soarer; which is much different.
It has Four-Wheel Steering, and TEMS (Electronic Damper-Adjustment).
The TEMS can be easily replaced (and probably performs even better) by TEIN's EDFC w/ Coilovers; however Four-Wheel Steering is a special something, that I'd really, really, really, love to have in my SC300.
My question is though, can I swap it over, and still keep my TEIN's?
Old 08-29-14, 03:43 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im just waiting until its considered a classic and we'll have a ton of em in the us
Old 08-29-14, 03:51 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

old news, it has to be 25 years old.

i'm waiting to get a MK4 right hand drive supra!!
Old 08-29-14, 10:51 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing new here, this has been talked about for years and got popular since the 90's.
Old 08-29-14, 11:51 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

my buddy has a 1jz TT 92 Soarer. don't remember how but he got it from michigan when someone else imported it. it's absolutely nuts.
Old 08-30-14, 01:20 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Has to be 25 years old or older (to the MONTH of manufacture) to keep US Customs from sending the equivalent of a SWAT team to seize your vehicle. That has actually happened a few times. 21 years is the EPA exemption. California still requires testing of anything newer than 1973 and therefore if the engine isn't in any smog database you still are going to have trouble (there).

There is a Show and Display Exemption that Bill Gates lobbied for to get his Porsche 959 legally released from Customs and registered. You really, really have to go to great lengths to prove why a particular model has a racing history or was an extremely limited production homologation version. It's not really going to work for a Soarer or Skyline GTS-T or even a regular GT-R. An exception (other than the 959) is that Sean Morris recently got a 1992 Skyline GT-R NISMO (#500) brought over with Show and Display. The paperwork for the car alone was reportedly the size of a phone book.

You still need to go through a registered importer even if the car you want to bring in is 25 years old or older. Also, you absolutely must make sure that you never, ever have the original VIN plate or rivets holding it in removed. Some company importing 90's Defenders with swapped VIN plates was recently caught up in a scandal over their practices. Unfortunately for the buyers of some of those Defenders who had no idea they had actually bought newer models there may be little restitution after their substantially costly vehicles have been forced to be sold overseas within a short timeframe or crushed here.

Nonetheless, people do get cars younger than 25 years into the country. I've seen plenty. I also don't see them out during normal hours when I have seen them. Just because someone else got away with it doesn't mean you'll be so lucky or that it's legal. Anything can happen at that point.
Old 08-30-14, 07:34 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

sorry for outside link, but this is perfect here

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...s-and/PhZ4RMgz
Old 08-30-14, 10:48 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Meanwhile, back in Canada it isn't all that hard. I see Soarers all the time around here. There are three different ones on CraigsList right now.
Old 08-31-14, 03:38 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

It's not as bad as you may think. Went through the process wih my 78 SA22c. The key is to make sure it is imported legally first. If you don't go through the proper channels they will take it. After that as long as you are in "grey car" area (25+years) you can get it to inspection. This is where things get tricky, and depends on your state. For example if I import a 1989 Cosmo, I have to comply with emissions standards established for that year sedans (which is nearly impossible with a triple rotor). When I took the rx through I was deferred to the state police for a custom data plate that states car is legal AND a proper VIN is added (16 digit alpha numerical)
Getting one from Canada is cheaper and easier if you can prove it was originally sold there
Old 08-31-14, 04:20 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

OldManTan-- I think it's very appropriate to post that outside link in this thread.

Dream36 -- ^^ Yes, once you're past 25 years it's much easier. I'm glad to hear from someone who's gone through the process firsthand. Two years ago I helped a friend as he went through this process with a diesel G-Wagen (300GD) and registering it in California was complicated. Getting his plates and registration was a triangular process of three local agencies all deferring to each other when approached so as to universally avoid the responsibility of clearing a grey market vehicle that didn't fit the normal registration and smog process. He got it through after showing supervisors the state statutes and regulations in black and white that exempted him from testing (pre-1998 diesels have no testing precedent). It's the same exact engine as the hordes of turbo diesel Merc sedans puttering around California so I doubt he'd have had much trouble anyway.

I love early SA RX-7's. Great choice! Do you have any pictures of your car? Other than being RHD, is it significantly different from the US model of the same year? I know there was an SA chassis with a turbocharged 12A engine but I think that came in later model years.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-31-14 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-31-14, 12:47 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look up RIVSU on Facebook, and wait about 2 years to grab a 1991 Soarer. They're an importer currently bringing in MANY R32's, and older RHD models... Definitely don't recommend going through all the hassles of importing it correctly yourself...
Old 09-03-14, 12:35 PM
DonS1mpson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Well, there's also my personal favorite, the Active-Soarer; which is much different.
It has Four-Wheel Steering, and TEMS (Electronic Damper-Adjustment).
The TEMS can be easily replaced (and probably performs even better) by TEIN's EDFC w/ Coilovers; however Four-Wheel Steering is a special something, that I'd really, really, really, love to have in my SC300.
My question is though, can I swap it over, and still keep my TEIN's?
With all due respect the thought of someone wanting to buy a 32 and then replace the wonderful, innovative Active suspension for crashy coilovers (and being Teins, not even particularly good coilovers) actually made me cringe. You couldn't be missing the point of the car anymore.
Old 09-03-14, 01:17 PM
CKA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand the attraction with RHD. I understand a soarer that comes 1jz would be nice, but not sure why people like talking about RHD's so much. Would much rather keep LHD in the U.S.

Quick Reply: So you want a RHD Toyota Soarer, eh?