SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sound to only subwoofer.

Old 08-28-14, 06:40 PM
deadwood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sound to only subwoofer.

Recently picked up a '94 SC300. Only has sound to sub. Has anyone had this actual experience and found out the actual fix? I would just have a new head-unit put in, but am worried that won't solve anything.
Old 08-28-14, 07:11 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's impossible for us to know what the previous owner did to it. Is it all stock? Stock amps, cd player, head unit? It sounds like your amp is broken not giving any power to the regular speakers, the sub has a separate amp mounted under the rear deck which is probably why it works. Perhaps water got to the main amp and shorted it out?
Old 08-28-14, 07:14 PM
deadwood
Driver School Candidate

It is all stock. In searching I have seen others have had similar issues, but have never seen a solution (at least not posted in various online places).
Old 08-28-14, 10:08 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It sounds like the rear speakers have blown, especially if they are stocks. Go to post 4 in the link below, my DIY to replace the rear blown speakers.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...r-carwash.html
Old 08-29-14, 09:07 AM
deadwood
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
It sounds like the rear speakers have blown, especially if they are stocks. Go to post 4 in the link below, my DIY to replace the rear blown speakers.
Thanks, will try hooking up another speaker. Ironically enough, the previous owner did say happened after a car wash as well.
Old 08-29-14, 10:30 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

My car had only one working door speaker when I bought it. It turned out the two rear deck speakers were blown and the other door speaker's wiring was bad. Additionally, the sub was disconnected and remnants of aftermarket wiring were hooked up to it and an old amp location. Oh, and once I had all that sorted out, I still had no power to my new sub amp ... turned out the fuse for the aftermarket wiring was blown. The previous owner must have had someone do the installation and had no idea how to maintain it, so they just let one thing die after another and got rid of the car when nothing was left working.

When it comes to previous owner car ownership, expect the unexpected! And idiocy.
Old 08-29-14, 11:54 AM
deadwood
Driver School Candidate

To be clear, I am testing a new speaker to the amp connection, not the connection to a potentially blown rear speaker?
Old 08-29-14, 12:08 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deadwood
To be clear, I am testing a new speaker to the amp connection, not the connection to a potentially blown rear speaker?
Ok I was thinking u were hooking up to the sub connections, but since the sub is working the amp is working and the rears and maybe the fronts have blown.

Last edited by Teal Sc400; 08-29-14 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 12:11 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

^^ It could also be wiring, though. Many of these cars will have had the original harness clipped years ago to bypass the factory amps.
Old 08-29-14, 12:57 PM
deadwood
Driver School Candidate

Ok I was thinking u were hooking up to the sub connections, but since the sub is working the amp is working and the rears and maybe the fronts have blown.
My question was poorly worded. I touched the wires with a new speaker to the connection at the rear speakers. Tried right and left, it's very hard to bet any contact on the little part of the +/- that is accessible from under the rear deck, but all I got was some "scratching" noise from the new speaker. Not sure if that tells us anything.
Old 08-29-14, 01:40 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

My question was poorly worded. I touched the wires with a new speaker to the connection at the rear speakers. Tried right and left, it's very hard to bet any contact on the little part of the +/- that is accessible from under the rear deck, but all I got was some "scratching" noise from the new speaker. Not sure if that tells us anything.
You can check the amp area, use a flashlight and look for rust or any water caused by the drain pipe moving out of the exit hole in the trunk. I'm thing the cheaply stock speakers have blown due to the sun and heat/temperature.
Old 08-29-14, 01:51 PM
deadwood
Driver School Candidate

Shouldn't I have had more than scratching sounds though when touching new speaker to old speaker contacts?
Old 08-29-14, 01:55 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Shouldn't I have had more than scratching sounds though when touching new speaker to old speaker contacts?
Using the right ohms? Then check the amp by way of the first link in post 4.
Old 08-29-14, 02:00 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How are you connecting wires to the amp and or wires that come from the amp to your test speaker? It needs to be a good connection obviously...
Old 08-29-14, 02:02 PM
deadwood
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
How are you connecting wires to the amp and or wires that come from the amp to your test speaker? It needs to be a good connection obviously...
Touhing the wire against the connection to the existing speaker. Can't really connect firmly without getting to top of speakers. Is there a +/- off the Amp for a better test connection?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound to only subwoofer.