SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need help, Cant decide.

Old 08-22-14, 04:59 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help, Cant decide.

Well, after being dragged to some dealerships with a close sc friend of mine, i think i may have found a new love, as well as him. After test driving evo's and sti's, he's stuck on an evo 8, and I've been considering selling my sc, and picking up an 05 or so wrx sti..... I'm torn on the idea of selling it, because of how hard i worked to pick another sc back up and how much work ive put into it. What are your guy's opinions on impreza's and evo's? worth selling the sc for? cheaper to maintain? i need help, i like both the sti and the sc, i cant decide.
Old 08-22-14, 07:11 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think they are terribly ugly but I hear they are a blast to drive.
Old 08-22-14, 08:06 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This forum is biased and people will tell you that the SC is a better car than a McLaren P1. Two totally different platforms of course. Evo and STi's have additional seating in the rear, and that means actual rear seats unlike our park bench with no feet room. Evo and STi come with factory turbos, AWD, sporty interiors, modern styling, and shopping cart rear wings. I have no idea what type of modifications you have done to your SC, but your screen name reads SC4 so I'm assuming a 1UZ. What year is your car? What type of condition and mileage have you been looking at?
Old 08-22-14, 08:14 PM
sc3757
Pole Position

If I had to choose one it would be the evo. 4g63 is a strong motor
Old 08-22-14, 08:48 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just GTE it and save your self from a kids car
Old 08-22-14, 10:23 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm reminded of one of the major car mags (R&T or C&D) doing an extended road test to determine if it's actually possible to live with the Evo on a daily basis...

There's also the matter of would you dare buy a used Evo or STI (can never remember the right capitalization)? I know a lot of people who say no way. Those cars tend to get driven pretty hard.

On the other hand, both points could be somewhat fairly raised for the SC.
Old 08-23-14, 06:56 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Already mentioned, you'll get biased opinions. I would never trade my SC out for a WRX, much less a Subaru. They are a blast to drive though!
Old 08-23-14, 07:31 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I'd take the Evo. There are tons of 600+ hp Evos in my area where as most of the Subarus are slow.
Old 08-23-14, 11:47 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

my biggest issue is the the fact that it takes a ton of money to make the car remotely fast.

a stock evo motor can handle 400wtq, and when you fully build an EJ series motor, it still has an output of 500. it takes a very extensive list of items to make high power.

the interiors are on par with the SC in my opinion. it's the simple look, with a bunch of ***** and such, except the evo and STi are modern day cars.
Old 08-26-14, 06:10 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

well the one i test drove was a blast to drive, seats werent nearly as comfortable as the ones in my sc, and after really looking, i didnt really find one that i would have been happy actually putting money on. and i like the evo better for looks but the subaru was a little funner to drive imo. but ive decided to keep my sc, its not the fastest one ive seen, but that just means i need to improve it. and as for mods so far: hks seats, harnesses, floor brace, adjustable toe arms, polyurethane bushings on sway bars, uca, lca, steering rack, it has an is300 steering wheel, bfi, ebay head lights which im trying to find some stocks to replace them, cross drilled/slotted rotors,upgraded sound system, trans cooler, 4th solenoid mod. unsure on diff....it lights up both tires no problem, been like that since i got the car. after giving it a good wash and taking it for a nice drive, I've come to the conclusion that nothing will replace it. It reminds me to much of my first car, i worked my *** off for it, sold it and regretted that alot, so i looked for another one and found this one. im happy with it. and im unsure on the mileage... i puled out the guage cluster and its been changed... its an sc300 in an sc400 so my tach is off. but the milage reads 235895
Old 08-26-14, 06:45 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mikef
just GTE it and save your self from a kids car
Agreed......I see ST's and EVO's all day (I have personally driven and rode in both before).....SC has more prestige and class over them any day....

And I also enjoy beating up on them...........GTE FTW!!!

CLASSIC SC3 come on man get your own sig pic!!
Old 08-26-14, 06:49 PM
sucessr1
Rookie

Gteeeeeee!!!!
Old 08-26-14, 10:37 PM
HKS JZZ30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i own both platforms you mention, a 97 sc300 and a 2005 STi.

the STi is currently at 513whp on E85 with a moderate power mod list (among other things). its much lighter behind the wheel, handles better, and obviously has a newer, fresh feeling in the cabin. it simply just gets up and goes since awd has no wasted wheelspin. id imagine if my SC300 had the same power it would spin the tires like nothing till 3rd gear or so.

though, im selling my STi soon so i can build up my SC3. while the STi can make some good power, even a properly internally fortified STi motor can't seem to hold up as well as the venerable 2J stock block. i like power and the 2JZ's are my roots so thats what im going with as my next project.

my opinion of course, just giving my $0.02

Last edited by HKS JZZ30; 08-26-14 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 08:28 AM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do like Evos and STIs a lot!

Main problem, you can insure yourself those cars are BEATEN on, and anybody telling you they drove a Evo or STi like a grandma to church is just full of crap!

My dad was in the market for an STi for awhile and settled with a Mini Cooper S, which was a blast as well.

He is now most likely selling his 1997 Mustang Cobra (450WHP Supercharged) and Getting an LS400

I've convinced him he is missing out on Lexus engineering, and he is done shifting because his knee hurts.

On the topic again, I would stick with SCs unless you are planning on having or already have children, than you may consider the options for comfy rear seating.
Old 08-27-14, 02:56 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
This forum is biased and people will tell you that the SC is a better car than a McLaren P1. Two totally different platforms of course. Evo and STi's have additional seating in the rear, and that means actual rear seats unlike our park bench with no feet room. Evo and STi come with factory turbos, AWD, sporty interiors, modern styling, and shopping cart rear wings. I have no idea what type of modifications you have done to your SC, but your screen name reads SC4 so I'm assuming a 1UZ. What year is your car? What type of condition and mileage have you been looking at?
Ha, please... No one here would say an SC is better than a P1. Weird coming from you though, you've dumped faaaar more money into this chassis than most of us would ever want to....

This debate has gone on for over 20 years since they both released in the early 90's. The choice is going to bank on what your plans are for the vehicle and your spending options for a new vehicle.

IMHO, if you want comfort and cheap/reliable top end power, SC. If you want driveability and mid-low power (dont forget a car payment), EVO/STI

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help, Cant decide.