Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 04:11 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 481 Likes on 291 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Equalizir
Hi guys,
This is my first post. I don't own an SC yet but am shopping for one right now. I found this one that I wanted your opinions on. Its got a new paint job and he says it has no dents or dings. I noticed in the pictures that the engine bay is white and the door sills are white. I asked him if the car was white before and he stated no and that it was normal for it to be that way. Since I don't know I also was wondering what you guys think about that and even if it was a white car does it matter? I personally prefer it to be all one color but I love the color it is now and the fact it has a black interior is a big time plus. Also he has it at best offer should i ask lower? Thanks in advance guys. I'm hoping to post back soon that I'm a proud owner of an sc400.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/4602345384.html
The ride looks a little shady to me but it might be in perfect condition
To me its not what others think it s worth, just remember its built by the #1 production car manufacturer in the world "Lexus". Its what its worth to you. I wouldn't pass up a car thats going give me years of enjoyment 4 a couple of $100.
Personally mine to me is worth $100,000. GL
Old 08-18-14, 10:29 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbary
The ride looks a little shady to me but it might be in perfect condition
To me its not what others think it s worth, just remember its built by the #1 production car manufacturer in the world "Lexus". Its what its worth to you. I wouldn't pass up a car thats going give me years of enjoyment 4 a couple of $100.
Personally mine to me is worth $100,000. GL
Good point! Thanks and you're right it might be in perfect condition. I think the fact he's lying is a negative. But the body and paint look really nice. I think I could do much worse. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check it out. But I would'nt offer him more then $3000. I could always get the sills painted to match but I'd leave the engine bay alone. I think a white engine bay is cool because I'd imagine it makes it easier to see things especially if it's dark out.
Old 08-19-14, 07:05 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks fishy to me....

I paid $2500 for my 92 5spd with 169,000....

It did take me over a year or so worth of looking to find an untouched 5 spd...Bone Stock...Color wasnt my favorite but it is growing on me
Old 08-19-14, 08:44 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look in the Vehicles Classifieds section here. The benefit is that *most* people on this site really know what they're doing with their cars and have them posted for a fair price. Plus there's a bunch of rules that need to be met before you're able to list a car for sale, so the chances of a sketchy car is less than Craigslist.
Old 08-19-14, 09:49 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Looks fishy to me....

I paid $2500 for my 92 5spd with 169,000....

It did take me over a year or so worth of looking to find an untouched 5 spd...Bone Stock...Color wasnt my favorite but it is growing on me
Wow! Thats great deal for an Sc with a 5sp.
Old 08-19-14, 09:50 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Look in the Vehicles Classifieds section here. The benefit is that *most* people on this site really know what they're doing with their cars and have them posted for a fair price. Plus there's a bunch of rules that need to be met before you're able to list a car for sale, so the chances of a sketchy car is less than Craigslist.
Ok thanks I'll check it out.
Old 08-19-14, 11:06 AM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldManTan
def overpriced. i got mine with the same miles, and with coilovers, TT brakes all around and many more expensive things for half that price.

the second one seems to be in great shape but again ask for the VIN then go on the Lexus owners website, you can sign up and put the VIN of the car in and it will tell you when maintenance was done and at what miles. hopefully they took it to the dealership while the car was still on warranty.
However we've all seen the amount of body work you've had to go through. But hey, you made it work and the progress is great

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
If you're gonna go as far as San Diego, might as well get mines. Most of the maintenance and repair stuff has been done to it, that you will more likely have to deal with and spend thousands on with these cars. I'm just selling mine cause I have 2 already, and I'm in need of a 4 door sedan or an SUV. It has been a good daily for me for the last 4 years. LMK

Here's the build thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...lue-flame.html

And here's the ad: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...995-sc400.html
Really can't go wrong with his sc. It's a sexy sc if your budget can climb up to it. Idk what you're looking to spend.

Originally Posted by iContango
Mileage is REALLY low - I would wonder about that as well. Odo fraud is very prevalent.

Beyond that though - are you OK with the exterior color, interior color? Will you be in the long term? It is always better to take your time looking for the right one, as opposed to jumping on any that are available.
Many gems have been found by members on here before, it would be far from the first low mileage sc in the community. But with that being said, I remember seeing people talk about how much it's sat in 20 years and the state of the seals and what not, that may possibly be affected by downtime. Even at $3500 though, I would have to say there are probably better deals out there.
Old 08-19-14, 05:35 PM
soarrabun
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

that thing is way over priced, just by him lying to you about the paint color is a no-no.
Old 08-19-14, 10:11 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by soarrabun
that thing is way over priced, just by him lying to you about the paint color is a no-no.
Yeah you're right about that. I don't like being lied to. He did text me later and gave me the vin number the only problem was it didn't exist when I checked it on carfax. I told him and he said I musta copied it wrong but I copied and pasted from my pc. He told me he'd send me it again when he got home from work but that was hours ago.
Old 08-19-14, 10:16 PM
Equalizir
Driver

I found one in San Diego that looks pretty good. It's a 1999 black exterior and black interior sc300. He's owned it for 10+years. It has 128,000 miles. He's kept up on all the maintenance which means he's already done the timing belt/water pump and anything else it's needed. It looks nice from the pictures. He's asking $5300 but I can talk him down to $5000. He took his ad down but I have the pics I'll upload later if I can.
Old 08-19-14, 10:25 PM
Equalizir
Driver

This is the one for $5300. I think it looks pretty nice. Does it look already lowered to you guys? he didnt mention anything about mods but it does look lower then stock.
Old 08-20-14, 05:58 AM
soarrabun
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

the 99 looks so much better, imo, shoot for something 97 and up. 5k for black/black seems good. I paid more than that for a 99 black/black two years ago.
Old 08-20-14, 07:20 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by soarrabun
the 99 looks so much better, imo, shoot for something 97 and up. 5k for black/black seems good. I paid more than that for a 99 black/black two years ago.
Yeah I like the look of the newer ones too. The front end to me looks nicer. Ill post if I get it.