SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

24 hour sale - HID's

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 05:25 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24 hour sale - HID's

One of the CL vendors XenonDepot is having a 24 hour sale on HID's - 9006 / HB4 Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kits - Regular price 229.00 - On sale currently for 154.99 + free shipping & by using a CL coupon code (CL) another 25 dollars off. Total cost = 129.99.

Question(s) I pose.
A. Am I getting a good deal if I purchase these?
B. Is the 9006 / HB4 Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kits a good HID brand for my 93sc400?
C. What brightness would you suggest?
1. phillips bulb upgrade 4300k (Add $45.00)
2. 5000k
3. 6500k
D. I'm assuming the HID kits are just for the low beam lights. Are there HID kits available to upgrade the High beam lights also?
Old 08-06-14, 06:20 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

If you want brightness more than just whiteness, you could save a lot of money with some new halogen bulbs. I just put Philips X-treme Power 9006 bulbs ($30 or less) in two weeks ago and am very pleased. I don't think you can get better illumination out of the stock housings. I was close to trying a HID kit, but I read too many reports of very lousy light output and reliability on various forums. The kit you're looking at would hopefully be high enough quality to do away with the reliability concern.
Old 08-06-14, 06:42 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a 4500K 35W HID kit from DDM Tuning for ~$50. Lots of people have had lots of success with DDM Tuning and swear by them. I've had mine installed since December and have had no problems.
There's plenty of threads about positives/negatives about DDM if you search the forum, but it seems most people like it. If anything craps out its only $50 rather than $100+, and they have a lifetime warranty on top of that.
Old 08-06-14, 07:06 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
You can get a 4500K 35W HID kit from DDM Tuning for ~$50. Lots of people have had lots of success with DDM Tuning and swear by them. I've had mine installed since December and have had no problems.
There's plenty of threads about positives/negatives about DDM if you search the forum, but it seems most people like it. If anything craps out its only $50 rather than $100+, and they have a lifetime warranty on top of that.
Do we need the other things you can select:
Brackets
Harnesses
Error Eliminator
Adaptor cables

Is 4300 the best light output?
Should I stick with 35 Watt?

Thanks
Old 08-06-14, 07:09 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jomosc400
One of the CL vendors XenonDepot is having a 24 hour sale on HID's - 9006 / HB4 Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kits - Regular price 229.00 - On sale currently for 154.99 + free shipping & by using a CL coupon code (CL) another 25 dollars off. Total cost = 129.99.

Question(s) I pose.
A. Am I getting a good deal if I purchase these?
B. Is the 9006 / HB4 Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kits a good HID brand for my 93sc400?
C. What brightness would you suggest?
1. phillips bulb upgrade 4300k (Add $45.00)
2. 5000k
3. 6500k
D. I'm assuming the HID kits are just for the low beam lights. Are there HID kits available to upgrade the High beam lights also?
I know HID is no good for high beam because they take time to warm up. No good for instant emergency light.
Old 08-06-14, 08:04 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Do we need the other things you can select:
Brackets
Harnesses
Error Eliminator
Adaptor cables

Is 4300 the best light output?
Should I stick with 35 Watt?

Thanks
Oops, I meant 4500K* I dont think they have 4300. Anyways, 4300 is what car manufacturers use for their stock HID systems. 4500 is as close as DDM has, its slightly bluer than what a stock system would be. As for best light output, the color temperature doesnt really have much to do with light output (although I suppose you can argue the lower the temperatre the better the output). This simply is the color of the light. The higher the number, the bluer (or even purple-er) the light is.

The wattage of the ballasts is what gives you more light output. At this point 35W or 55W is personal preference. Some say 35W is too dim, while others say its perfectly fine. My personal opinion is that a 45W ballast would be perfect, but se la vie..

I think whether you need an adaptor or not depends on the year of your SC. When I was buying I was told by other members that an adaptor is needed, therefore I bought one. I eneded up not needing it as the kit I bought was direct plug and play to my existing light harness. I have a feeling older SC's may need the adaptor though..

No error eliminator needed either. Brackets are optional, I got them but ended up not using them and just zap-strapping the ballasts inside my front bumper
Old 08-06-14, 08:37 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL $200 for HID's
Old 08-06-14, 11:03 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

My ballast are double-sided taped onto the frame rail just under the highbeams, accessible
with headlights removed. Perfect spot.

I stand by XenonDepot. Plenty people do say you get what you paid for. DDM is made in China and the ballast are plastic aren't they? XD just looks to be more quality, haven't had an issue with them.
Old 08-07-14, 08:04 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAzn
DDM is made in China and the ballast are plastic aren't they? XD just looks to be more quality, haven't had an issue with them.
Thou shalt not speak on stuff you don't know about. Yes, DDM Tuning is made in China, so as all the other hundreds of brands of HID's you see everywhere is made in China. You's a damn fool if you think Xenon Depot isn't made in China. Even the high end Philips with German words all over it are made in China. To be honest, even the ones that say "made in USA" are made in China. Everything is made in China, only babies aren't made in China nowadays. LOL

But NO, DDM Tuning isn't made out of plastic. SMH on this one. Quality shquality. Just because they guarantee this or guarantee that, doesn't make it any better. All these HID's are made in China, believe me or not. They probably come out the exact same factory and look exactly the same and generic until these companies slap their own stickers on it with their company name and logo on it.

Ahh yes, the good ol' put a high price on it so people would think it's exclusive and of a way better quality. And then you start scratching your head when you see somebody offering it for a fraction of a price, and make you wonder, hmmm, maybe the cheaper one is made out of crap, so I'll just buy the more expensive one to be sure. Me, on the other hand, I wonder about the opposite thing, which is, how can the more expensive companies go on sale and are able to offer their product dirt cheap as well whenever they want to? From a business man's point of view, we go on sale, because profit is profit no matter how you look at it, so it doesn't really matter if I (the businessman) make $150 later or $50 now then re-up from that profit to make $150 again later when customers come back asking for more of my "very exclusive expensive high quality" product. And of course, customers like you think of that because you've never really tried another product and you're satisfied with what you got, which again isn't really any different from the small company selling it for $50.

Ask me how I know this; I used to be a distributor of HID's before it was even cool man.

And for the record, I've had my DDM Tuning HID's for 5 years and have never had any kind of problem with their product whatsoever. Still waiting for that day I can take advantage of their lifetime warranty.
Old 08-07-14, 08:23 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
LOL $200 for HID's
lol exactly, maybe 10 years ago..
Old 08-11-14, 09:07 AM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I put VVME HID's on our lex low beam. I went for the 'digital' ballast and they've been rock solid for about 4 years with absolutely no problems.

Only issue is reminding my wife to turn the lights off when she shuts the car off so they don't try to turn back on when she starts the car with light switch is on, which isn't very good for the bulbs (on/off/on).

The bulbs fit right into the existing housing and the pattern and power are just awesome compared to any halogen.

Went w/35 watt and 4300K - I wanted just regular bright white (not the rice burner blue tint)

Studio is right - I stuck with only HID'ing the low beams, not the high.

The only extra thing I bought w/the kit was a relay so I could get power right from the battery.
Old 08-11-14, 06:21 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

I guess it doesn't really matter if you pay 50. 150, or 250. All parts can be defective. That being said, lets hope their customer service is prompt and friendly.

Bad relay harness .

I did have one working, and from what I saw. Wow! Great investment!

9006 / HB4 Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kits [HID Color:5000K]
Old 08-11-14, 07:54 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Gonna come in and vouch for DDM tuning again.
Had a kit from them on my last car for 2 years, sold it with the car, never had an issue, have a DDM tuning kit on this car for over two, years, just had my first issue with the ballasts on one of my fog-lights, but it's a life time warranty.
And no the ballasts aren't plastic, they are metal and pretty durable. I feel like it's pretty good quality for the price, I don't see any reason to pay any more when I've gotten this much value out of the kit already.
I'm currently sourcing a bunch of parts to do a retro-fit, but I'm pretty sue I've got my work cut out for me here lol. The fluted lens cover is going to be a *****.
Old 08-14-14, 11:40 AM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Xenon Depot has a GREAT product for sale.

They have amazing customer service, and I highly recommend them.
Old 08-14-14, 05:16 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Well after 15bux (2day air) to ship out a replacement relay for the defective, I finally got my HID kit (9006 / HB4 Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kits [HID Color:5000K])

Too bad it's daylight but they function as they should. Warm up quickly (less than 2 seconds) Can't wait for my Saturday commute to work to see how much they light up the hwy. I may or may not even upgrade the 9005 brights as well. Driving 50 miles on a windy 2 lane Oklahoma hwy where the deer aren't scared of cars I can use all the extra light possible at 4am.

Total install time: Casual 30 minutes
Ease of Install: 1wrench out of 10.

Quick Reply: 24 hour sale - HID's