Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

No power to (stock) stereo.

Old 07-30-14, 03:41 PM   #1
GISguy
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Unhappy No power to (stock) stereo.

Today at work I went out for lunch and found my stereo wouldn't turn on. It is completely dead with no power whatsoever.

Radio-1 (hood fusebox) and Radio-2 (kick panel box) fuses are both fine.
The stereo is stock (1995), and I have power to everything else. (cig lighter, AC work just fine).

Has anyone had any issues with ground wires on the stereo harness behind the unit? Do harnesses tend to go bad?

Weather has been a dry and crisp 75 for the last few days- so no exposure to rain anytime recently, and it's worked fine until this morning when it decided to die sometime between parking at work and going out to lunch.

I've sifted through tens of threads and it doesn't seem like anyone's had this issue with the stock stereo. I'm very concerned.

This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
GISguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 07:06 PM   #2
Ramblerman
Pole Position

Could be your power head just died . There are Nak power heads out there for fair prices. but check your amp & disc player in the right rear Qtr pnl to make sure nothing is amiss there also. then check main power source wire to stereo .Get a power tester also.
Ramblerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 07:56 PM   #3
GISguy
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblerman View Post
Could be your power head just died . There are Nak power heads out there for fair prices. but check your amp & disc player in the right rear Qtr pnl to make sure nothing is amiss there also. then check main power source wire to stereo .Get a power tester also.
Thanks for the advice! My stereo seemed to respond to the on/off **** when I tried again so it's working...can't tell if it's the **** being stuck or the harness being flakey. I shall keep this in mind for the next time this happens.
Old 07-31-14, 04:01 PM   #4
Ramblerman
Pole Position

Good! I forgot to mention that it could be your power **** sticking. some good electric contact cleaner may help that.
Ramblerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 07:09 AM   #5
GISguy
Driver

Happened again today. One thing that changed recently was that I did hose my car down last night when washing it. I could have caused a short or something in a fuse box or wiring....

but last time, as I mentioned before, it was dry as a bone. Might just be a fluke and the electrical contacts/internal wiring vibrated off or something.

Anybody have any suggestions for the easiest-to-install aftermarket stereo? (as in it's the most 1:1 in terms of wiring)
Old 08-26-14, 07:09 AM