SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just Bought a 93 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 02:38 PM
PR0PH37
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought one too for $500. Mine is white but it's also wrecked. But the car runs. I just need to buy a ffront bumper and so forth. Maybe another $500 worth.
Old 07-27-14, 06:45 PM
DanielDD
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess I got lucky today. I opened up the glove box and found a receipt for the set of tires with the owner's name prior to the PO I bought it from. The receipt was pretty detailed, giving me the individual's name and the place that did the work. A simple internet search yielded his phone number and I got to talk to him!

It was his wife's car and she drove it for 13 years before they traded it in last year. in 2012 he spent $2k on the car and the timing belt was done by the Lexus dealer in Orlando! He also said the crankshaft seal and the tensioners were changed too. Guess I can cross that maintenance item off my list!
Old 07-27-14, 09:37 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielDD
I guess I got lucky today. I opened up the glove box and found a receipt for the set of tires with the owner's name prior to the PO I bought it from. The receipt was pretty detailed, giving me the individual's name and the place that did the work. A simple internet search yielded his phone number and I got to talk to him!

It was his wife's car and she drove it for 13 years before they traded it in last year. in 2012 he spent $2k on the car and the timing belt was done by the Lexus dealer in Orlando! He also said the crankshaft seal and the tensioners were changed too. Guess I can cross that maintenance item off my list!
As I said previously:

"With regards to the timing belt, yours is a non-interference motor, so the risk is moderately low of a severely costly breakdown. If the dealership thinks it was done 2 years ago (you can set up an account on Lexus' website and view all the dealer maintenance records for the VIN), I would just take one of the plastic cam covers off (the driver's side is much easier, as the pass. side requires removing the air intake) and do a visual inspection. If the belt looks fresh with no cracks, it probably was done fairly recently like they said."

There need be no luck or guesswork involved. You can view all that info for yourself without any detective work, as long as it was dealer serviced.
Old 07-28-14, 05:49 AM
DanielDD
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
As I said previously:

"With regards to the timing belt, yours is a non-interference motor, so the risk is moderately low of a severely costly breakdown. If the dealership thinks it was done 2 years ago (you can set up an account on Lexus' website and view all the dealer maintenance records for the VIN), I would just take one of the plastic cam covers off (the driver's side is much easier, as the pass. side requires removing the air intake) and do a visual inspection. If the belt looks fresh with no cracks, it probably was done fairly recently like they said."

There need be no luck or guesswork involved. You can view all that info for yourself without any detective work, as long as it was dealer serviced.
Yes - I read your earlier post and I understand this is a non-interference engine. I was getting prepared to pull the cam cover off when I went thru the paperwork in the car and noticed what I wrote in the post above. I will definately take your suggestion to sign up to view the maintenance records - great idea and thanks for the information.
Old 07-28-14, 01:01 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Its always good to check the old receipts in the glove box. :-)

What part of Alabama are you in? I can check LKQ tomorrow and see if they have any 400's on the yard.
Old 07-28-14, 01:43 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great looking car ! That Lexus site is awesome - I just re-registered and saw the records on my car. Back in 'the day', in about 2003 when we bought our SC400 (had about 120K miles, paid $6K), the site offered, if you could give them your VIN, to put a paper version of the owner's manual in the mail and send to you for free. I jumped on that one asap and got my free copy.

Now it looks like they still offer them for free, but it's a PDF version...
Old 07-28-14, 01:52 PM
DanielDD
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Its always good to check the old receipts in the glove box. :-)

What part of Alabama are you in? I can check LKQ tomorrow and see if they have any 400's on the yard.
North Alabama - Huntsville. I called the LKQ here in Hsv and they were of little help. They said all their inventory is online. I found nothing….
Old 07-28-14, 02:00 PM
DanielDD
Rookie

Went to the Lexus site and put in my VIN. Got all the dealer service records, just like you said.
Very handy indeed….

Also bought a used coolant overflow tank from a forum member and a Nak unit from one of the forum sponsors. Already spending money.

I cleaned her up last night. Gave her a much needed bath and wax. I also cleaned up the headlights…..

The picture doesn't accurately reflect how much better they look, but they came out looking really clear!

Contrast that will how it looked before:

Old 07-28-14, 02:33 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! Your SC looks to be in great condition for a 93! Nice find!
Old 07-28-14, 03:48 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielDD
Also bought a used coolant overflow tank from a forum member and a Nak unit from one of the forum sponsors. Already spending money.
Get used to it. To do otherwise would be like worrying if Prom activities will be worth the cost.