SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buyers for SC400 really letting me down

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 02:20 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyers for SC400 really letting me down

The market seems to be full of crummy people. So many buyers backing out or flipping lower on me after agreeing to a price. Has anyone else come across this? It's very disappointing.
Old 07-23-14, 02:29 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Bro, just sit back relax and let the flakers flake. Your SC will find a new home, but don't expect it to be quick nor easy. I've seen SC's being for sale for more than a year and still finds a new place for a great price. Saw yours on eBay this morning. I'm selling my 1st SC too.
Old 07-23-14, 02:41 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I've noticed in local ads, most people price their's too high or too low and those sit for quite awhile. The ones priced in the "reasonable" range move quick. I'm not sure if the "too low" stuff scares serious buyers away or if it's priced low because there's major stuff wrong that isn't disclosed in the ad, and people walk way upon inspection. I've looked at a couple of those...

Also, free classifieds in the internet age has really changed things, and it only seems to be getting worse. With no barriers on either side, it really brings out the worst in some people. You might have better luck by advertising via paid channels and filtering out some of that noise.
Old 07-23-14, 04:19 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

When I was selling My sc I got flakes as well. This one guy was looking at it as if he was buying a Bugatti veryon. He opened the door and noticed it sagged but a very very slight sag at that. He smiled a very annoying grin and stated that "the car had been wrecked" and that he knew how to know. He was overall very picky. I wasn't surprised to see him driving a new Beemer. I assured him or wasn't but he had made up his mind. It's a 20 year old vehicle, get a life ya wheeze lol.
Old 07-23-14, 05:08 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Realistically it's a 20 year old V8.... When you look at Edmunds private party Excellent/Clean value's and compare with the condition of the car, it's easy to knock the price down even further. These cars aren't cheap to fix. Then again at the same time these cars are becoming increasingly harder to find in great condition....so it works both ways.

If you have a great conditioned SC, and an SC guy checks it out, it would be hard to pass up.
Old 07-23-14, 05:13 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Stuff like that is why I won't sell my SC. It seems like a hassle since everyone either flakes on you or tries to low ball you hard.
Old 07-23-14, 05:36 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Biddles
Realistically it's a 20 year old V8.... When you look at Edmunds private party Excellent/Clean value's and compare with the condition of the car, it's easy to knock the price down even further. These cars aren't cheap to fix. Then again at the same time these cars are becoming increasingly harder to find in great condition....so it works both ways.

If you have a great conditioned SC, and an SC guy checks it out, it would be hard to pass up.
The market for these is the same market as 240s, Mustangs, and the like. People expect cosmetic issues like torn seats and poor paint. They want the setup, which is FR with capability for power, and things like coilovers and loud exhaust. The market for clean boulevard cruisers for SCs has, in my mind, mostly disappeared in all but the lowest mileage cleanest examples.
Old 07-23-14, 06:34 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been trying to sell my slightly modified SC for over a year. People dont seem to like my mods. as much as i do, and 90s model cars sound old by todays standards G.L.
Old 07-23-14, 06:47 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigwhite
Ive been trying to sell my slightly modified SC for over a year. People dont seem to like my mods. as much as i do, and 90s model cars sound old by todays standards G.L.
For the price range, what else can you get with the same qualities as these?
Old 07-23-14, 07:31 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

That was very inspiring.

Unfortunately, it's wrong.

The market for our cars right now is ****. It IS the next 240. Not 'going to be', but 'IS'. With only 107,000 miles mine is just breaking in and runs without any mechanical hiccups. Fully adjustable coils suspension, new urethane bushings all over, tasteful and discreet aftermarket stereo, custom true dual exhaust and generally being in great shape (minus a few aspects), I'd be surprised if I could sell mine for $5k right now.

Give it some more time. The trashy folk will trash their cars through either a lack of maintenance or just by doing dumb **** with them. Even then, once all of the busted looking SCs have been scrapped, I'll still probably only be lucky to get $5k for my car.
Old 07-23-14, 07:34 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't agree with that. Most people from what I've seen on here are going for a very clean look with mods for their personal taste which is why every little detail counts. Our cars parts and repairs cost significantly more then your typical mustangs and 240's so when something is broken or damaged its easier to walk away from the entire car as a whole. The fact we only average 19mpg and take premium gas doesn't help the resale value at all.

SC's aren't nearly as popular, and are much pricier to mod. Compare prices of 2JZGTE swap or Supercharged 1UZ on an SC vs SR20 swap on 240 or a mustang swap and you'll find getting into the SC game is more expensive meaning less potential buyers. Parts can also be very hard to find.

You'll always get low ballers when selling a car. I just sold my street bike, and I dealt with about 30 people via craigslist. 28 of them were just complete bullshltters. No one wants to come check it out unless you agree to sell it to them half of what you're asking... The other two dont even show up. So I put the bike for sale outside my house and it sold on the third day. Someone stopped by, saw all the new parts, saw that it runs perfect then ran to the bank and got the biggest stack of 20 dollar bills I've ever seen. The kicker is...he doesn't even know how to ride a motorcycle... I had to drive it home for him.

You need to put at the top of the ad "No Email/Text Negotiating" because half of them can't even hold a conversation face to face. That will help weed them out. Try alternative methods of selling it. A good area with a lot of traffic is usually the best bet. Hopefully you get what you want.
Old 07-23-14, 07:42 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

The people migrating from cheaper cars to the SCs are bringing with them their penchant for half-assing their mods. I can point fingers at at least a dozen people in the first page of this forum that I'd call out for it.

Yes, you're right; everyone has their own reason for buying a particular car. They are all entitled to it. However, it still remains that very few of these cars are being modded tastefully. They're sold as buckets because they've been allowed to turn into buckets. New owner buys the bucket for cheap, beats on the car, and so on.

If my SC was worth enough for me to sell and completely fund the restoration of my 911, I'd do that and daily the Porsche. I could sell my SC tomorrow and have enough money to start a paint job.

Start. Not finish.
Old 07-23-14, 08:17 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

I'm not looking for top dollar - not even close. I started at 4500 and now advertise it firm at 3300. I, too, have non-budget coils, new poly bushings, new paint, Tanin dash, LS BBK and custom exhaust. Plus some ebay seats I would've done away with eventually (had to ditch my poor oems).

For the capability at price I don't think there's any comparison.

I hope that doesn't count as advertising.

Oh, I wish I could keep it, but I can't take it to college and have nowhere to store it - it's just not feasible.
Old 07-23-14, 09:00 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
The market for a car that has already been modified is always going to be **** compared to a stock version unless you are a master-level marketer who can control the higher end of the 5-12k(or higher) range Scs go for, and unless you have a willing buyer who will fall privy to your influence in pricing, unfortunately you won't get the higher end of the range Scs go for and that is 5k to 12k. Given your modification and most importantly, to the RIGHT BUYER, there is no reason your SC can't sell in the higher range. It is highly dependent on your skills as much as you finding the perfect buyer who desires a car already being modified, i.e a potential future modder.

What makes you feel as if your car in its modified state, no matter how tasteful YOU FEEL have done it, isn't considered trash by the predominant and average buyer and that is someone who prefers the stock or virgin look, you know like an older buyer Another thing, how do we know if your mods didn't inspire you to drive it in non-stock form thus potentially introducing abuse into the equation?! These are reasons you can't get in the higher range of the 5-12k spectrum SCs from "the average buyer" but maybe to a young person but then you have the quandary of selling it low to meet "your market" for your Sc.

What you really are saying above is the market for someone who wants to spend closer to 5k for your Sc is greater then those who want a modified Sc and are willing to shell out in the higher spectrum of the 5-12k (or upwards) SC range.

You know you want to keep you 100k car which is "still breaking in" and why would you want to sell it anyway as it is a great DD and mod car and besides, my comments were primarily directed to ArkLaTexSC and his situation so no need to hijack his thread.
You are correct- modifications don't typically add to a vehicle's value.

However, you've been an SC owner for what I presume to be, 2 months?

I've had mine and watched the resale value for ten years. While most of your points are generally true, they don't exactly pertain to these cars. The same higher price, pristine looking cars on eBay and AutoTrader today have been there for months.

Most older people wanting these in stock trim, to remain in stock trim, aren't looking at them anymore. They're the ones who are giving these cars to their grand kids by now because they bought them decades ago.

Bottom line, slice it however you want, is that the resale market for our cars right now is not good. And it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. There have been several threads about it.

This discussion is directly related to OP's topic.

Last edited by MongooseGA; 07-23-14 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 11:20 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, its at the point where if u buy this car then ur keeping it forever. eventuallly this car will be worth more, but right now, the market is jus too low for these cars. despite the fact that a lot of us get compliments all the time of these cars. no one wants them.

Quick Reply: Buyers for SC400 really letting me down