SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buyers for SC400 really letting me down

Old 07-24-14, 01:42 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

I see truths on both sides of this argument.

I don't like the extremely low resale value drop since I got my SC four years ago but what can one do-- Lexus built great cars that generally weren't sold until they hit 150k on average. By the time we got them they were already considered used up despite the great reliability and design (save some bad interior part choices by Toyota).

I'm happy to own my car and enjoy it. I had my last one for ten years and I'd like to keep this one just as long or longer. What I don't like is how the resale values really and truly don't reflect the effort put in to actually restore these cars with sometimes brand new cosmetic parts and other mechanical parts from the Soarer and Supra models they are related to. We on CL, SF and Club NA-T know what those modifications are and some random internet fanboys also do... but even most car enthusiasts don't.

All car enthusiasts know the difference between a V6 Automatic Mustang or Camaro and a V8 Manual Mustang or Camaro and the resale price gap (even in a depressed sub-market) between a ratty V6 and a cared for and engine modified V8 is staggering.

Supra MKIV's remain somewhat immortal even if they are non-turbo automatics with open-diff rear ends and the SC300/400 series is this nice looking but overlooked black sheep in the horde of used Lexus bargains. I guess it's not surprising but it is frustrating because the car's true selling points were the reasons I bought one and stuck with it in the first place.

I really enjoy my SC. I don't feel the need to sell it but I do wish the careful, subtle and meaningful modification I have done to it counted for something like the price/value paradigm I noticed for nearly all the cars I was looking at buying before I found this one and signed the paperwork:

To find a used performance car that is RWD or AWD, 2+2 seating coupe or four-door, manual transmission, LSD equipped, fully independent suspension, 300+ horsepower, V8 or turbocharged and that is known to be reliable/durable I really didn't see any prices fall below $12k-$18k+. For pretty much anything used. FWD cars and automatics need not apply.

If you want that combination of performance formula in a used high performance car that isn't a flexy Fox-body Mustang, that's the price range you need to play in. When I look into Autotrader and Craigslist I still see that general price range for those specs.

That an SC300 modified with that hardware will not fetch similar values is amazing to me, since you otherwise need to shell out those amounts to get those things used. Not an SC *missing* any of the above criteria but an SC *with* all of the above criteria.

If I knew what the resale would settle to after learning as much as I know now after four years of ownership and work into reaching what I thought were reasonable and non-excessive restoration/modification goals for my SC... I might not have bought one in the first place.

Saving grace for me is that I've kept mine clean and I've kept it up and it has been an amazing car drive virtually anywhere. I find it very enjoyable to drive day after day, other than the horsepower deficit.

No one should expect to make their investment back on a modified performance car or any car-- you won't.

I just don't understand how the "gotta pay to play" adage works when putting in the performance hardware but in the SC300/400 doesn't translate to what the used performance car market mean average seems to dictate to anyone wanting the same performance formula-- even if, compared to much newer cars that do the same, a $12k-$18k powerful performance RWD with a stick-shift is a used bargain.

Market perception, high mileage (usually), originality over true value for the money, lack of rarity, lack of originally equipped performance options... take your pick.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-24-14 at 01:54 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 06:09 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA

The market for our cars right now is ****.
^^^^ This is nothing but the truth .

I know we (that includes me) will put our SCs into a pedestal with the highest regards. We have our PERCEIVED value for them but they are way high the REAL MARKET value. There were over 80k SC400/SC300 sold from 1992-2000 . The current SUPPLY is more than the current REAL demand. Just this week I have two people offered (take note they offering) their SCs to me. One SC400 that doesn't run well but with almost perfect exterior and I would say 8 out 10 interior for $700 and another highly modified SC for which over $25k had been spent for $15k.

I know we have that pride in our SCs but most of those who buy them now are those who wants to MOD them. Those looking just for a car would more likely go for a gas saver or one that is cheaper to maintain... not our gazzlers or expensive to maintain cars at today's standards.

Supply and Demand ... too much supply is ONE REASON why their market is **** .

Originally Posted by Biddles
Most people from what I've seen on here are going for a very clean look with mods for their personal taste which is why every little detail counts. Our cars parts and repairs cost significantly more then your typical mustangs and 240's so when something is broken or damaged its easier to walk away from the entire car as a whole. The fact we only average 19mpg and take premium gas doesn't help the resale value at all.
True , we all want a clean SC so buyers would try to get the most value for their money especially if they know they will find one.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6

Supra MKIV's remain somewhat immortal even if they are non-turbo automatics with open-diff rear ends and the SC300/400 series is this nice looking but overlooked black sheep in the horde of used Lexus bargains. I guess it's not surprising but it is frustrating because the car's true selling points were the reasons I bought one and stuck with it in the first place.
That an SC300 modified with that hardware will not fetch similar values is amazing to me, since you otherwise need to shell out those amounts to get those things used. Not an SC *missing* any of the above criteria but an SC *with* all of the above criteria.
No one should expect to make their investment back on a modified performance car or any car-- you won't.
Regardless if you put a $25k drivetrain on our SCs , rarely it will be noticed or sold compared to its more famous sibling , the MKIV.... One who has $15k at hand will most likely buy a MKIV compared to a modified SC and slowly mod that MKIV . I even bought a TT Auto MKIV for $8k from TX and a TT 6 speed MKIV for $14k from CO . It's a matter of searching and being patient. There would be people selling their cars at an unbelievable price just to let go of them. I bought my current 1200rwhp stroker and 900 rwhp 6 speeds Supra MKIVs at prices that where damn cheap compared to me getting them built from scratch just because the owners where in a bind. I freaking have more money on my Red Mamba One than my 900rwhp 6 speed MKIV in spite of the fact that I did all the work on that Red Mamba ONE (no labor costs).

I can mention a good number of highly modified SCs or even with just mere stock 2jzgte / 1jzgte / NA-T swaps for which the owner never got their investments most especially if the parts where bought brand new. IF the parts where bought at a real bargain price, its a different story. I am sure you have seen and continually see modified SCs that are posted for sale and are never sold and eventually being parted. One reason why small modifications or upgrades (cosmetics or functional) are overlooked and not factored into the price by buyers. We all know , buyers (that inludes me ) would like to get stuff for nothing .

So it is right to say , that expecting to get back your investment on a modified SC will be very tough.

You have to be an enthusiast to own an SC now a days. They are expensive to maintain DD gazzlers compared to today's car standards. And if you want to MOD it making it a performance car , you got to take note that all (no exceptions) MODIFIED cars are money pits. CHEAP and RELIABLE PERFORMANCE do not go hand in hand.

Our SCs sell for a dime a dozen now a days. Look at the classified , someone is parting out his running 97 SC300 even if he is selling it only for $2500 just because no one is buying it. Parting out that body kit with tail lights / fogs and grill will already net him at least $1k so it was wiser for him to part it out especially if he had the space and time.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by gerrb; 07-24-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 08:38 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

20+ yr old car modified to the tastes of basically 1 in every 5,000 buyers and a selling price higher than stock where the 4,999 other buyers are looking = hard sale. Make it stock, sell the mods, take the first offer within 70% of everyone else's asking price = sold.
Old 07-24-14, 09:09 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
20+ yr old car modified to the tastes of basically 1 in every 5,000 buyers and a selling price higher than stock where the 4,999 other buyers are looking = hard sale. Make it stock, sell the mods, take the first offer within 70% of everyone else's asking price = sold.
This ^^^^ ! Take out the mods and sell it stock and sell it lower than market price (which I know we all don't want to do since we look so HIGHLY of our boats) if you want an SC sold or better be ready to sit on it for a LONNGGGGG TIME .

The market speaks for itself . How many SCs you see in the for sale ads all over the country (stock or modified) that takes forever to sell if their prices are high . Most won't even sell and parted out. It's one thing to defend our beloved SCs and another thing to look at the current market. Price swings ?I don't see them going up .. on the contrary going down.

Even cars done or modified in the best possible way by the best shops in the country rarely fetch the price for which the owner spent.

Only a true avid enthusiast of an SC will buy a SC in stock form for a high price. And how many people are we talking of ? Again supply and demand ....reason why prices go even lower. And even a car modified by the most reputable shop in the country is gonna break so it will not be cheap. Not unless after getting it modified , your car spends 95% of the time in the garage and just bring it out to show it off in shows. Those are the only cars I don't see breaking ... Even brand new cars from the manufacturers you see on the side of the streets.

Last edited by gerrb; 07-24-14 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 09:27 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I've always found it odd to hear the supply and demand theory thrown around with regards to the SC. Depending on which numbers you go by for total sales, there were 70-80,000 made. That's only 1500 per state. I see that many Priusesesss around town every day... And I'm guessing half of the total is in CA/TX/FL/NY, so the rest of the country may have only 500-700 per state. That doesn't seem very common to me.

Honestly, I think the issue is lack of familiarity, not an over-abundance. As a few have said already, these cars get compliments all the time. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to find someone who isn't impressed by a SC. But, all but the most serious car enthusiasts will have no idea what it is or that it's effectively the same thing as the Supra they've always drooled over. So, yes there's a supply and demand element, but it's low demand, not high supply. I think the key to getting value out of these cars is to educate the buyer. Get 'em in the driver's seat and falling in love with it first.

Probably a big part of it is that Toyota/Lexus products have gone toward shapeless blobs since 2000 -- an approach that Ford proved works great for #1 sales ranks to the zombie masses -- and as such, very few people identify the company's earlier days as having anything sporty.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-24-14 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 09:47 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Don't get me wrong , no doubt our SCs were way advance of their time. No question.It is a nice freaking car , exactly the reason why I have three of them. I like them aside from my MKIVs. But I believe I have said it on my first post on this thread , supply and demand is NOT THE ONLY reason why their market is ****. Being a gazzler and its maintenance cost (being an old car surely it will start having problems thus parts and labor ) are factors why someone who just needs a car would go for something that would be good on gas and cheaper to maintain . MOST of these cars are 20+ years old car and will show their age. We are not even talking of modified here.. plain stock SCs.

Just to get that interior in good shape , you are spending a fortune already not unless one would be content with seat covers and falling apart arm rests and door panels. Surely many still admire our SCs. But many buying these 15-20 year old cars is another question when they find out that they only get less than 20 mpg and Lexus parts are expensive. Remember most car owners are mere drivers, they don't maintain their cars so they also have to spend on labor costs. Being on the luxury car category , you surely know how much that labor cost would be.

It's one thing to defend our beloved SCs and tell to the whole world that our cars should cost or be priced this much .. and another thing to open our eyes and see what the real market says as shown by the SCs on ads all over . Just on the classified ads on this forum... check how many SCs are on the ads and are not selling. If ever they will go at a price a lot lower than the seller expected after a long time in the ads section. And most of these are cars maintained by enthusiasts. Some of them would only have cosmetic upgrades. Those SCs with drivetrain upgrade , they stay there forever or longer and more likely wont be sold. A particular car for example , one with a 6 speed V160 NAT done by a reputable shop whose owner spent tons of money after three years is still there even if he is selling it half the price he spent. I know cause I almost bought the car but I found a better car for the same amount of money. For a modified car , prepare to loose money once you sell a car.

Last edited by gerrb; 07-24-14 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 01:35 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
The market for a car that has already been modified is always going to be **** compared to a stock version unless you are a master-level marketer who can control the higher end of the 5-12k(or higher) range Scs go for, and unless you have a willing buyer who will fall privy to your influence in pricing, unfortunately you won't get the higher end of the range Scs go for and that is 5k to 12k. Given your modification and most importantly, to the RIGHT BUYER, there is no reason your SC can't sell in the higher range. It is highly dependent on your skills as much as you finding the perfect buyer who desires a car already being modified, i.e a potential future modder.

What makes you feel as if your car in its modified state, no matter how tasteful YOU FEEL have done it, isn't considered trash by the predominant and average buyer and that is someone who prefers the stock or virgin look, you know like an older buyer Another thing, how do we know if your mods didn't inspire you to drive it in non-stock form thus potentially introducing abuse into the equation?! These are reasons you can't get in the higher range of the 5-12k spectrum SCs from "the average buyer" but maybe to a young person but then you have the quandary of selling it low to meet "your market" for your Sc.

What you really are saying above is the market for someone who wants to spend closer to 5k for your Sc is greater then those who want a modified Sc and are willing to shell out in the higher spectrum of the 5-12k (or upwards) SC range.

You know you want to keep you 100k car which is "still breaking in" and why would you want to sell it anyway as it is a great DD and mod car and besides, my comments were primarily directed to ArkLaTexSC and his situation so no need to hijack his thread.
Dude , I don't think anyone here is hijacking the OP's thread. People are just saying their view why OP's car isn't selling as fast as he wants to. How long have you owned your SC and followed the prices of the SCs ? Someone sharing his view why the OP is having a bad experience selling his car isn't thread hijacking in my opinion.

You keep on emphasizing STOCK . Tell me why a lot of STOCK SCs are not being sold . Forget about modified cars. One 97 SC300 is being parted now on the parts section just because no one wants it at $2500. Just the 97+ body kit with tail lights / fogs and grille will go for around $1k and yet no one will buy a running 97 car for $2500. Go to craigslist and auto trader , watch how long the ads stay there and tell me why these stock SC cars are not being sold.

You talk about 100k miles SCs .. how many are they in the market ? These are +20 years car . Even those 100k you see them on ads that are more than a year long old.. nobody buys them because of their high price.

I am just re stating what was already said by long timers in the SC world and I am not even one of them. Their market value is lower than what we think they should be ...plain and simple. I have the feeling that you bought your stock SC at a high price tag that is why you keep on defending on high price stock SCs . Good for you if it has only 100k miles. But how many people would like to spend top dollar for an old car ? I doubt there would many... probably enthusiasts. Shoot... I have a Mercedes Benz with 100,000k miles as of today and A LOT newer than ALL THESE SCs , only on its break in period for those who knows MBs and yet won't even sell $4k now just because people perceive European / German cars as high cost on maintenance cars. And yet these MBs seldom break down but when they do, you would rather want to sell it or give it away than spend on its repair. It's the reality for most automobiles. They are bad investments .

OP - while I feel bad for you that you are not able to sell your car as quick as you might want , I also do understand that you are not trying to get top dollar and much more I don't mean to hijack your thread. I apologize if my posts will be perceived that way. Your experience simply confirms what I have said here. They don't sell as much as we want at least for the majority of them. You asked why people are flaking out or why your car don't sell...so I shared my $0.02 view why .

Last edited by gerrb; 07-24-14 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 02:49 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

FWIW, it seems like nearly every SC I've seen for sale locally is between 185,000 and 195,000 miles. It's like there's a panic button as soon as the car nears 200k that no one will want to buy a luxury car with those numbers. Most other used cars seem to be sold at 150k (which probably means they're less reliable and already showing signs of trouble) or 225k. There's definitely something peculiar about the SC market, but I'm unsure how that ties into lower average prices.
Old 07-24-14, 06:30 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am trying to sell my second SC. The first one I sold to the only guy that showed interest after 6 months of advertising. Funny thing is I hardly had to say a word, the car sold itself and he had a stack of 100 dollar bills to spend. I am currently sitting my SC on a main drag were prob. 3- 5000 people drive by it a day, and no one even stops to look. Its that one right guy your looking for.
Old 07-24-14, 08:07 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
We are living in Hard Time$ and that is why the market for cars is what it is.
New car sales beg to differ. From what I've seen and heard, people have a lot more disposable income with the economy rebounding, but the housing market is still so shaky, new cars are the big recipient. It doesn't follow that used car sales for a specific model would suffer as a result.

Think about TV advertising in recent months and the massive upswing in car ads relative to cell phones and tablets.
Old 07-24-14, 09:22 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

ive sold 2 sc400's in the past year and it was a ****ing nightmare each time.

No one wants them , the few that come look are broke, and examine the car with a microscope, any issue and they back out of the deal right away, I couldn't belive it.

After months of having my last SC for sale I thought I had a serious buyer, some girl with a raspy voice told me how shes into cars, shes looking for a project and she is very much into these SC's, I said great come on down.

So "she" comes over...... and its a transsexual with his two friends....... two more transsexuals!!!!

I sat back in complete shock as 3 men dressed a women were examining my car , looking for flaws, talking like wannabe mechanics , I couldn't take it .

Even the transsexuals didn't want it and it ended up being sold to some student mechanics for a fraction of what the car was worth , they have since plasti dipped the car black and gutted the nice interior to save weight, essentially destroying the car.

(EDIT) on a side note its good news if your a buyer, ad you can pick up these cars for total peanuts now , even the low mileage ones aren't selling for book value

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 07-24-14 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 09:51 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Another thought: Look at Mercedes and BMWs of similar vintage. They fare quite similarly to the SC in terms of a a precipitous dropoff in resale value. Maybe it's just something about luxury sedans and the perception of ownership headaches at a certain age.
Old 07-25-14, 05:34 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
ive sold 2 sc400's in the past year and it was a ****ing nightmare each time.

No one wants them , the few that come look are broke, and examine the car with a microscope, any issue and they back out of the deal right away, I couldn't belive it.

After months of having my last SC for sale I thought I had a serious buyer, some girl with a raspy voice told me how shes into cars, shes looking for a project and she is very much into these SC's, I said great come on down.

So "she" comes over...... and its a transsexual with his two friends....... two more transsexuals!!!!

I sat back in complete shock as 3 men dressed a women were examining my car , looking for flaws, talking like wannabe mechanics , I couldn't take it .

Even the transsexuals didn't want it and it ended up being sold to some student mechanics for a fraction of what the car was worth , they have since plasti dipped the car black and gutted the nice interior to save weight, essentially destroying the car.

(EDIT) on a side note its good news if your a buyer, ad you can pick up these cars for total peanuts now , even the low mileage ones aren't selling for book value

LMAOL Your post gave me a good morning laugh ... thanks ...

Am sure a lot of those selling their SCs have stories to tell especially when they sit on them for a long time.

Originally Posted by t2d2
Another thought: Look at Mercedes and BMWs of similar vintage. They fare quite similarly to the SC in terms of a a precipitous dropoff in resale value. Maybe it's just something about luxury sedans and the perception of ownership headaches at a certain age.
Even a lot newer luxury cars suffer the same fate due to higher maintenance cost... MB being one even if they are so reliable. You are right about the overall Car Sales / Market. I believe that car sales had already turned around to the upward direction for some time now. Damn , just a few years back these automobile companies have been helped with billions of $$$ of taxpayer's money and now most of them have paid back their debts worth $$$billions and are raking in billions which is a clear sign that the automobile industry is way past those hard times. Just in my vicinity the number of used car dealerships had doubled... a clear sign of booming business.

If these newer luxury car are hard to sell , what more our +20 year old cars ? We just really love to put our own in a pedestal and tend to close our eyes on reality. The truth is you can get a good running stock SC300 / SC400 for a good price now a days. You just have to do your home work . And I guess that is the reason buyers keep flaking cause behind their mind they know they probably can get more for their money . Other wise they will grab the first one they see if they are so hard to find. Just like I said, you don't have to go far .. check and follow our forum classified ads and observe how long the ads are there and are not being sold.

Last edited by gerrb; 07-25-14 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-25-14, 06:37 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

On a brighter note, in 10 years when all these high efficiency, super computerized, heavily emission controlled cars are breaking down and way too expensive to keep running, our previous generation of used cars might start looking like a more attractive option!
Old 07-25-14, 01:49 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
On a brighter note, in 10 years when all these high efficiency, super computerized, heavily emission controlled cars are breaking down and way too expensive to keep running, our previous generation of used cars might start looking like a more attractive option!
I doubt that, although it's a romantic thought. Most people cross-shop an SC (or old Merc or BMW) because they can only afford to finance a Mitsubishi Mirage but want a car that isn't a complete piece of crap for their money... which they have very little of. And the cost of repairing things on an old luxury car and filling up the gas makes them edgy. I don't feel you can win that particular game.

OP, I don't feel you are asking the unreasonable for your car. Hang on. Lower a little if you must and you will get it sold eventually.

I still, however, stand by the other thing these cars represent when modified with a 300+ (or +++) HP 2JZGTE swap, manual transmission, LSD, LS/TT brakes AND have clean and restored interiors and exteriors. Especially if the drivetrains were swapped cleanly.

TRY to find a 2+2 RWD coupe in good shape with all of that equipment for less than roughly $14k-$15k+. In a chassis that handles and stops as well as this car does and with an engine that is reliable and rarely if ever blows up on boost or high compression (LS1 V8, etc). Go ahead and look at craigslist and auto trader. You might get lucky if the car has some major issue but to find THOSE specs in a RWD 2+2 for less than that even if the mileage is high isn't going to easy and often isn't possible. The price for such a car usually stays the same. That's not a return on investment number, just the average number for any car that meets that specific criteria even if the market for a particular model is poor in general.

A 3000GT SL isn't worth nearly what a 3000GT VR-4 is worth, for instance, original or not. Rarity and originality of the drivetrain making a car astronomically valuable (MKIV, etc.) is another thing.

Selling any high performance car is always difficult because there are very few buyers for such things regardless of whether they are all-original, stock-swapped or one-off customized. Ultimately no such models or their owners are spared.

In that sense, an SC300/400 that isn't modified other than maybe some nice wheels and a stereo is a better proposition for the owner and the buyer.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-25-14 at 01:59 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buyers for SC400 really letting me down