SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Considering an SC400 - What is the Availability of Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-14, 05:35 PM
DanielDD
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Considering an SC400 - What is the Availability of Parts?

Just sold my 530i this afternoon. Really liked the car, in fact, it was my 2nd one but now I want an automatic. Yeah, I know - most of you like to row the gears, but I've done that for the past 5 years and I'm tired of doing it.

Anyway, I'm mildly interested in a couple of SC400 cars which I intend on looking at later this week. The one thing that concerns me is the availability of parts for these cars. Many of these cars are 20+ years old now and I wonder if I can easily get parts, namely exterior body bits and interior bits.

I have a 91 BMW 850i under restoration and it is disconcerting to find some of the interior bits are NLA (no longer available). I don't want to run into this issue if I buy an SC400. I will probably not be modding the car - I will mostly just freshen up the car, maintenance wise to make it a good daily driver.

FYI, I checked at Sewell parts and already the interior SC mats are discontinued….

Would appreciate input from those of you that have experience in this realm.
Old 07-20-14, 05:45 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

We find pretty much everything we need via part-outs and new parts. If you choose a rare interior color, It could get tougher.
Old 07-20-14, 06:47 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you'll have a problem finding anything. There are part outs, facebook classifieds, craigslist, and many other places to look for what you need. Someone on Facebook for example is selling the entire black interior and it looks very good for $400. Seats, doors, 3 spoke wheel, and all.... If you're looking, and you've got paypal, you won't have to look too long.
Old 07-20-14, 06:57 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
If you're looking, and you've got paypal, you won't have to look too long.
Pretty much this OP.
If you want brand new parts, you may have to wait a little longer, but if you're willing to settle for parts in like new condition you may only have to look for a few weeks at the very most. However most of the time they're for sale here, eBay, facebook, and part outs most of the time during the year. Also if you live near a relatively sizable city you can find a pick and pull/junkyard that has a few SC's in it at any given time. You may even get lucky and find some good interior pieces.
Old 07-20-14, 07:18 PM
DanielDD
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Very good and thanks for the information. I wasn't aware there were parts to be found on Facebook. I don't do Facebook, but my wife does - so if I pursue this quest with the SC400, then I feel I may have a decent chance on getting any parts I need.

I have found two 93 cars. One is garnet pearl, the other is silver spruce metallic. The pearl has 112K and is in really good shape, the metallic (which I do like) has 155K miles. The pearl is more expensive ($6K) and the metallic is $4K -

I am going to look at the pearl one on Wednesday. The other one is 1.5 hours away, so I will probably not get to that one until the weekend.

I have never driven these cars, so I don't know what to expect. Hoping to like the way they drive and handle. The wife has a 3rd gen 350, my son has a 2nd gen 400 - it would be cool to have a 1st gen too...
Old 07-20-14, 08:53 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

2nd gen 1st gen? i thought it's all 1st gen and the 430 is 2nd gen? i don't count a facelift and tailights as another generation. you should negotiate the price a little. that's a bit much for a completely stock 400, unless it has like 40k miles i wouldn't pay 4k.
Old 07-20-14, 09:45 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know where you are, but if you're in the east Texas area and looking for a toy SC400 I invite you to take a look at mine at the same price but with mods and common SC issues fixed.
Old 07-20-14, 10:10 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go with the one with less miles. your less likely to run into any issues. garnett is a nice color but i would go with whichever has black interior. gives the car a cleaner look.