Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Need help figuring out the severity of my problem

Old 07-18-14, 05:44 PM   #1
calrain07
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Need help figuring out the severity of my problem

So I took over a 92 SC. The tile says SC300 but the ECU marked 1UZ says other wise. It has not engine, and it was in an accident. The upper and lower radiator supports are completely non reusable. Its missing a good amount of stuff. I've been looking around and checking prices on the the radiator supports. I also sat down in my drive way for like an hour trying to figure out how I would remove the old one.

Basically what I'm getting at is: Would it be worth fixing up the front end completely and continuing with the project? It's going to be built to drift so I understand it doesn't need to be beautiful. I like the car, but it hasn't been with me long enough for me to not write off on it. I see that theres a couple bolts and some welds that need to be removed to take the supports off. This would mean I would need to buy the welder to properly place a new one on. I'm just not seeing the supports, work, and tools as being a smart investment. I'd love to keep the car, I honestly would but it almost seems like that front end would be a bigger pain in the **** than just switching project cars. I need some advice from guys who are more experienced with the SC models.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
calrain07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 06:36 PM   #2
t2d2
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)

Unless you're incredibly handy with that sort of thing and love manual labor, it doesn't seem worth it to me. You'll put way more work into it than the value of the car, especially considering buying a replacement engine will run you "nearly" what you can buy a running SC for. I would part out what you can and move on to a more realistic project.
Old 07-18-14, 08:06 PM   #3
davvv
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Best way I would say to fix this is a parts car hit from the back a whole Lotta time and a decent welder. It looks like your just missing too much to buy it piece by piece.
davvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 08:58 PM   #4
TheAzn
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

It's going to be a lot of work to bring it back to... OEM specs.

If you want to use it for drifting, custom fabricate things to fix it then.
TheAzn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 04:30 AM   #5
Biddles
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

This is where a good friend with lots of welding experience comes in handy. My brother loves doing this stuff, he just did this on his drift 240 after a wreck... Of course he has a lot more incentive to do so being that it's already built.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Biddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 04:30 AM