SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1993 sc300

Old 06-28-14, 01:07 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Default 1993 sc300

So i've been doing some research on here, but i had a few questions on pricing for these cars. Edmunds and KKB say that these shouldn't be going for more than 3k, but all the ones i see for sale that are in good shape are anywhere from 3.5-6k (all mileage around 100-130 in good condition) I a looking at a 1993 SC300 with 130k miles. It has had 2 owners, full service history from 0-100k miles including new ignition switch, complete AC overhaul, timing belt and water pump. At some point the car has also been repainted to the factory white and the job itself is pretty good. The car has the SC400 lip, working power antenna, shocks have been changed, and the interior is in pretty good shape minus a small tear in the seat bottom of the rear seat, the steering wheel leather is also pretty dried out. I didn't get a chance to drive it as I was on my way to golf, but it started right up, engine was very quiet, and idled at around 700rpms after not being started for 2 weeks with zero smoke coming out the back. I also looked and the valve cover gaskets seemed dry. I did notice the headlights were yellow (small issue) and the passenger front/rear mats were fairly damp. This could be either either missing plugs, clogged drains, or worse case scenario a/c condensor? My question is what should I pay for this. Tires and brakes are good, body has one small rust spot, everything works minus the temp gauge light on the dash (everything else works), and as stated before the damp mats. He's asking $3990 for it and immediately declined $2500 (i figured i'd try) The place selling it is selling it for their customer who has owned the car since 35k miles and says on top of the full service records from 0-100k, they have all records from 100k-current. I know without pics it is hard, but what would be a fair price for this car as i feel they are asking a bit to much, or maybe I'm wrong. Any input would be great.
Old 06-28-14, 01:14 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

here we go
Attached Thumbnails 1993 sc300-334153d1403986163-1993-sc300-image.jpg  
Old 06-28-14, 01:51 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I just drove by to take a look again, the sunroof was slightly open so I'm going to assume that water was getting in and a clogged up drain caused the water to backup and make a mess. Car has been on the dealers lot for at least a few months now, but for some reason these cars in general, or any rwd lexus for that matter (because of so much snow?) don't sell very well. I also snapped a few more pictures
Attached Thumbnails 1993 sc300-image.jpg  
Old 06-28-14, 03:37 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They couldnt even clean the engine bay.

Would do you mean water has backed up and made a mess?
Old 06-28-14, 03:51 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

The car has been "oiled" or rustproofed and I guess that adds to the engine bay looking dirtier, the entire car in general needs a good cleaning though. I didn't see any leaks, and what I mean was that if te drain is plugged, the mats get damp and since the sunroof has been left open partially, more water was collected, the sunroof does work though. Does that make sense or am I just babbling haha
Attached Thumbnails 1993 sc300-image.jpg  

Last edited by RXGS; 06-28-14 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-28-14, 05:35 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Makes sense but for what they want i think you can get something cleaner looking. Having records is good tho, I say 3000 is a good price im worried about that water tho. Now you got to see if their is rust or mold.
Old 06-28-14, 06:46 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

The records and two owners is what has me, that and it has been rustproofed, has a remote start, etc. are all god points,the keyless entry also still works which is rare from what i have seen but ya the water has me concerned.I would try to find cleaner ones, and i have no problem paying more, but availability is the main issue, there just aren't many in my area. There is a black SC400 for 4200 near me, but the interior is in worse shape and has almost no records. Ill get back in touch with them monday
Old 06-29-14, 03:50 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That engine bay looks filthy for a car dealership of any sort. On the other hand the interior looks immaculate. The wet floormats could have been from an interior cleaning that didn't suck all the water out and now it's just damp. Looks like a nice car, and service history goes a long way especially considering the timing belt was done, I'd tell them $2900. Get someone to call them and lowball them and beat them up on the price, then give them a call yourself and make a fair offer they might jump on it.
Old 06-29-14, 12:20 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Biddles
Get someone to call them and lowball them and beat them up on the price, then give them a call yourself and make a fair offer they might jump on it.
Lol wth? Really dude? Thats pretty shady hustle.....had someone try doing that too me when I put my old SC up sale awhile back.
Old 06-29-14, 12:42 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Haha, I'm not going to do that to save a $100. If i have to do that, i shouldn't be trying to buy a 20 year old lexus
Old 06-30-14, 08:14 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

So I drove it, it actually drives really well surprisingly, but all the sitting has taken it's roll. I think it might need 4 new rotors and pads, the a/c needs to be charged. At 100k the a/c compressor, condenser, and lines were all changed so I'm assuming a charge is all it need. But we needed to start it with a jump box, it started but then stall out. We started it again kept the revs up and after a minute or so the car was fine and able to be driven. I drove it for a few miles then turned it off, it was dead and needed to be jumped. I drove it for a bit more and did the same thing, this time it started up fine. So idk if it's the battery, alternator, or both?
Old 06-30-14, 10:27 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm deciding against picking it up. Its a really solid and clean car, the water wasn't from the condensor, but instead the drains were clogged up (i saw water trickling out, just as our lx470 had done with the same problem). It probably needs rotors, pads, alternator, battery, a steering wheel, new rear left strut, and just a good cleaning and tune up, but with the LSAT coming up, I just don't have enough time to get it all done before summer is over. Probably going to just look for another one, or if they do accept my $2500 offer, which is still on the table, i'll pick it up. Having never driven an SC300 before, its actually a pretty fun car to drive, never driven something that small and low to the ground.
Old 08-05-14, 08:03 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

So they called me back today and the owner is in need of selling it. They said they would do $2000. Does anyone have any input on this?
Old 08-05-14, 08:23 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say keep looking. u can find a better deal for one that is in better condition for not too much more. i was able to find mine for 4200 and it was repainted 4 years ago and was in great if not darn near perfect condition for a 159k mile car. i know they are out there. u jus have to keep your eyes peeled.
Old 08-05-14, 09:23 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwes
I say keep looking. u can find a better deal for one that is in better condition for not too much more. i was able to find mine for 4200 and it was repainted 4 years ago and was in great if not darn near perfect condition for a 159k mile car. i know they are out there. u jus have to keep your eyes peeled.
This, some cars aren't worth the hassle of purchasing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 sc300