SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Alright, School me on the SC i'm about to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-14, 11:14 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Honestly the first person i've seen use their Range Rover for what its for. I'd buy you a shot of hennessey just cause.
Old 07-01-14, 09:30 AM
HyadMusic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After owning a 79 rx7, 84 300zx, and now as a month ago a 97 SC300 (Which I will ride in till the wheels fall off as I am in love with this car)... It is ALL about the previous owner/owners. If you can, try not to do an inner city car or a car that a young guy has recently owned. Being 24 I can comment. lol I got very lucky and happened to find a car in Cape Coral FL. that was babied by 2 older guys before me in a wealthier area like Cape Coral. Look online and don't limit yourself to where you live as your perfect purchase may be out of state, just be careful. My 79 rx7 and 84 300zx were bought in town in Memphis where all these memphis locals for the most part bail on their cars and let them run ragged because they don't want to pay to fix them. Not saying all, but most from people I have met and talked to just say "hell no I am not paying anything I'll just save for a new car"...then you see it on Craigs List as "In Great Running Condition" or "Needs Minor Fixes".. Avoid Craigs List if possible obviously, and try to go licensed independent seller like a dealer or individual who likes to buy and sell as a side job or main occupation as a business rep is important to some. For all you know you can find a car for 4 grand that you should pay 7 grand for but the guy doesn't know what an SC is, and thinks is just an ordinary Lexus.

The first two cars I bought I was excited and had to learn the hard way, which I value that experience now. With the help of this forum I found out what I needed to know as repairs/fixes/needed maintenance to make sure I was investing in something sound. (Thank you to everyone who has guided me or posted threads and helped me with an abundance of information on here!!!) Always plan to pay extra for repairs. If your car costs 4 grand, plan to spend another 4 in the first year you drive the car as a fail safe. If you fall short and don't need repairs then more power to you. Nothing ever costs the list price whether it be repairs or things that you need to perform routine maintenance on, which like everyone is saying is a reality in purchasing a car thats now about 20 years old.

You can buy a new car for 30 thousand or buy a used one for 4 thousand and drop 10-20 grand in it over the course of whenever and have a bad *** vehicle you want to drive every second of every day and depending on the model year, practically zero recalls with that Toyota reliability.

This car is god damn amazing. Vehicles need work. At the end of the day... do you really want a car note, with taxes, with a new engine that has not been put through its paces over thousands of miles with thousands of owners experiencing the true grit of the car that you can read about online? Just look at all the Mazda CX-7 Owners...they own 30 to 40 thousand dollar paper weights because of the VVT Actuator causing engine sludge and loss of vehicle control on the roads, then going to the dealer only to hear Mazda say sorry you're beyond 60,000 miles the warranty is up, we need 8 grand for your new engine please.

Just because it's used doesn't mean it's abused. See what you can find and I truly hope you get what you want out of your car!
Old 07-02-14, 11:23 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OverlandRR
Okay so I'm looking to pick up a second vehicle and although I was gong to buy a classic 4x4, the girlfriend likes sportscars. I used to own a got so I'm not totally in the dark with these things but I'm definitely more of a 4WD guru than a tuner. That being said I know the SCs are supposed to be solid cars and I think it would make the perfect car for her and my needs.

SO HERES WHERE IM BEGGING FOR HELP

First I know certain cars have their good and bad years, engines, transmissions, etc but I know nothing about the SC's. Is there a good resource for what to look for or does someone here want to school me on it? I'm looking to buy one local for 4600 that has 103K on it. Seems like a good deal from what I've seen so I want to move quickly. its a 95 SC400

Second, I want to modify the vehicle LIGHTLY. Mainly suspension wheel tire swap with an intake and exhaust. Nothing drastically lowered but definitely stanced. Once again is there a resource for this stuff or is browsing the related sections the best option?

Thanks in advance y'all. I look forward to hearing back!
The 1998-2000 Lexus SC400s came with variable valve timing with intelligence. They are also the highest rated stock horsepower @ 290. Awesome smooth ride.
Old 07-02-14, 02:53 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Rando-painted parts of the hood, cheap rims, and unsecured seat cover....don't do it.
Old 08-03-14, 12:26 PM
PZski
Driver School Candidate

Default Belatedly...me too

So I am about a month behind the original poster....

95 SC400
Florida car
85K original miles
Front seat upholstery kit professionally installed
Rear needs to be addressed.
No accidents, no dents.
$4700

In the process of ordering all fluids, gaskets, and filters for
oil, air, transmission, and differential.

Ceramics and ATE Super Blue already in my garage.

So to the original question of the post.......

Plug options?
DIY coil packs and wires?

Also interested in options to 16 rims and wheel well clearance on wider tires.

I'll figure it all out. Just posing the question for benefit of previous experience.

Just sold 2010 MazdaSpeed3 which compared to this was a feather AND more HP!!!