SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

are SC cabins warmer than most cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 10:12 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts
Default are SC cabins warmer than most cars?

I've noticed my interior gets much warmer after sitting in the sun than any other car I've been in. Even 60-70 degree weather makes it feel like a scorcher. I gave a friend a ride last week and he noticed the same thing without being prompted.

Is it the amount of glass (big moon roof), the gentle slope of the glass (facing more up to the sun than most sedans), or something else? Is that why everyone tints their windows?!

Conventional wisdom on the forums is that Toyota used shoddy plastics for the air vents and the rapid cooling with climate control causes them to crack, but I'm wondering if that's only a secondary issue and the real problem is how hot the interiors get?
Old 06-08-14, 10:43 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

not sure about your question, the SC does have quite a view with all its big windows so that could be it. i have a question about interior temperatures too though. my center console, from the arm rest to the radio gets pretty freakin warm, and it seems that all the heat is coming straight from the tranny tunnel. does everyone experience this or should i be worried about something?
Old 06-08-14, 10:47 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I haven't noticed any extra heat coming from there.
Old 06-08-14, 11:15 PM
SourLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed the same thing also. I can see how it gets hot since we have a large glass area. I usually try to park in the shade when I can. But when I cant I leave one or both of my windows cracked with the moon roof tilted up slightly. Ive been thinking about getting the custom fitted sunshade that sewell sells. It claims to reduce heat by 40 F. That and it will save your dash from drying and getting crack. Either that or getting your windows tinted will help. Or hey??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe do both?
Old 06-09-14, 12:56 AM
Keiffith
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldManTan
not sure about your question, the SC does have quite a view with all its big windows so that could be it. i have a question about interior temperatures too though. my center console, from the arm rest to the radio gets pretty freakin warm, and it seems that all the heat is coming straight from the tranny tunnel. does everyone experience this or should i be worried about something?
if this is something after 10+ minutes of driving, your fine, the transmission does get hot, and that heat rises and warms the tunnel.

and yes, the SC has a slightly warmer than normal interior due to its large amount of glass, but tint can lessen it significantly.
Old 06-09-14, 01:22 AM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

i have a black interior and my interior gets more than a scorcher in there

Last edited by maaaaackle; 06-09-14 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-09-14, 04:07 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both my SC's get hot by the shifter. Plus it's a big V8 so naturally it will be warmer then most cars. Fix the AC, that's what I did.
Old 06-09-14, 07:40 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I just removed the faded purple, bubbling tint that came with the car -- did the side windows myself and paid a pro to do the rear -- I'm still working myself up to being willing to add tint again after that painful process! Maybe I should get in the habit of sliding the roof shade closed. I've got a window sun shade from my old sedan that might work, but it's probably a bit too small. I'll have to take a look at the fitted Sewell one.
Old 06-09-14, 08:02 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I've noticed my interior gets much warmer after sitting in the sun than any other car I've been in. Even 60-70 degree weather makes it feel like a scorcher. I gave a friend a ride last week and he noticed the same thing without being prompted.
They really heat up a lot in the sun. Even with lighter color interiors. Not sure why. Always figured window tinting would help.
Old 06-09-14, 08:19 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I looked up the Sewell shade and it's a decent price, but having to roll the thing up every time would be crazy annoying and would cause it to never get used. There are some decent fold-out ones on eBay for half the price that claim to be big enough, although not "fitted". However, I just checked my old twist-to-flip-out, double-round one (from Costco?) and it fits just fine, with only a couple inches not covered here and there. It only takes a second to open up and put away. Now I just need to figure out where to store it... I always slid it under the non-motorized passenger seat in the old car. I guess I'll just put stuff like that in the back seats footwell and move it around when I have passengers.

Glad to know it's not just my imagination about how hot these things get! Too bad I took my window tint off just before the weather warmed up, so I don't have a solid before & after comparison.
Old 06-09-14, 01:43 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Problem solved. I just had to let some slack out of my tightened up nets, which is easy to do when using lace locks for that purpose instead of knotting the elastic, and the sun shade fits perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails are SC cabins warmer than most cars?-p1000948-sun-shade-holder.jpg  
Old 06-11-14, 07:37 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a common problem I see with heat rising from the trans tunnel Has anybody every used some type of insulator to keep the temps down? I have my carpet out right now and before I decide to put the carpet back in I want to try to install some type of insulator to help cool the inside down.
Old 06-11-14, 07:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

lots of people use that heatshield barrier stuff, its shiny like foil but thicker like dynomat. it will reduce sound noise from below (especially on 5 spd's with no boot), and it will also help with the heat, you can do like the whole tunnel basically.
There was a thread on here with pictures of someone installing that stuff.

here it is in dynamat but same principle.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7527192-post7.html
from this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...s-of-pics.html

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-11-14 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-11-14, 05:49 PM
m0nk3y85
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I know whatcha' mean...but I'm sure it's the leather.
Old 06-11-14, 08:06 PM
Keiffith
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
This is a common problem I see with heat rising from the trans tunnel Has anybody every used some type of insulator to keep the temps down? I have my carpet out right now and before I decide to put the carpet back in I want to try to install some type of insulator to help cool the inside down.
anything that insulates sound also does a good job with heat as well. dynamating the entire floor would not be a bad idea since you already have everythying out.

Quick Reply: are SC cabins warmer than most cars?