SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What's the market for SC's right now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-14, 10:12 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyke
I can see what a lot of you are saying, I guess my area is different because we have a lot of military and what can I say I sold a lowered 4 door Integra with manual with 133k for 5k last year. I just say aim high sell it as a whole before parting out
the 4 cylinder Hondas and acuras hold their value very well and are in high demand.

You can sell a Honda or acura in a few days , SC will be a few months.
Old 06-13-14, 02:08 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ And this is amazing to me, given the general asking prices are similar. Maybe it's because it's easier and cheaper to swap in a B16, B18C or H22 engine than it is to NA-T or GTE swap an SC300/400. Fuel economy might also have something to do with it but you also don't see that many people strapping turbochargers to those engines as magazines might suggest. Still, having owned one previous to my SC I don't see the grass as being greener if you're familiar with what constitutes real performance hardware or a real performance platform no matter how old or finicky it is.

It's a mystery to me. The only thing that does make sense to me is the high resale for older reliable turbo diesel cars or Geo Metros. Like high powered factory sports cars those cheap econoboxes set out to get high fuel economy and succeed in that goal and generally hold good value used as a result.
Old 06-13-14, 02:27 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
You can sell a Honda or acura in a few days , SC will be a few months.
^^^This.

Especially if you want your asking price and you know its worth. If you want to sell the SC fast you got to put it at a ridiculously low price that will make you think down the road why you let it go for such a price. That usually happens when you regret letting it go in the 1st place and searching for another one. I think about more then half come back the other half move on regret it and it holds a soft spot in their hearts.
Old 06-13-14, 02:36 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious...would a rebuilt engine add any value and make the asking price more reasonable? It essentially is setting the odometer to zero with respect to the motor. Or am I beating a dead horse...
Old 06-13-14, 09:10 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Joey-E -- I agree with you completely. Just as maintaining, restoring and upgrading an SC requires patience, so should the act of selling one. Usually it's the "money pit" realization that comes into play because of the initial low cost of a normal SC added to the always-inflating cost to get it modified to XXX horsepower goal AND restored at the same time that causes projects to become abandoned. Or some of these cars actually do need a lot of work initially or suddenly and it's the cost shock of that. Happens with a LOT of different vintage makes, however.

Ashtray -- I'd like to hear the thoughts of other members on that question but to me, if there are receipts and documentation to verify the rebuild (specs, notes, etc.) I do think it should add something to the value of the car so long as it was done right and is a GTE rebuild or really well sorted and clean looking NA-T. Same goes for a built/strengthened 1UZ V8. Mileage on the body and its overall condition is still going to come into play, however. I've seen some SC's with either a flawless low mileage 1JZ or 2JZGTE swap but a quite ratty looking interior and exterior and I think the condition of both are quite significant. And for a very small subset, extremely rare stock-ish USDM 2JZGTE swaps are a draw but here again I'd refer to Joey-E's comments above.

Don't forget transmissions. A rebuilt W58 or better yet a rebuilt R154 or V160 (with documentation) should be something a prospective owner looks at as a potential plus over a one of the same transmissions with unknown mileage.

Again... all logic that can be applied to any classic car. It comes down to the whole package as it is when it goes on sale and, sadly, whatever market interest will bear. Best thing is probably to avoid rushing anything if possible and even if the car is upgraded it's more salable with more OEM components than aftermarket ones. The controversial argument is: "OEM for an SC300/400" or "All OEM *components* for a Soarer or MKIV Supra swapped into an SC". Depends on the car and what the market values at any given time, combined with the hard fact that the car still can never be called "original" no matter how many parts still have Toyota/Lexus part numbers on them.

You can apply the above to... say... a 1966 Mustang Coupe (boxy style) being "cloned" into a 1966 Mustang Shelby GT350 (fastback). It's nearly the same thing and it's definitely not going to sell for as little as a normal average mileage unrestored 1966 Coupe if it were done right but it will never be valued anywhere near the same way a real 1966 Shelby GT350 will be. IE: SC vs MKIV TT and the inherent potential an SC is so well known for.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-13-14 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-13-14, 10:15 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
Just curious...would a rebuilt engine add any value and make the asking price more reasonable? It essentially is setting the odometer to zero with respect to the motor. Or am I beating a dead horse...
The best thing to do when attempting to sell a car is just say the car runs and looks great. You can mention that all maintenance is up to date. I wouldn't get into the particulars until they show up to review the car in person. People usually think it's a turn off to see any major engine repairs including "rebuilt" engines. No one needs to know anything unless they ask. Just me 0.02

And to add to this, I could never sell my car due to the amount of bad mouthing I've done about it on this forum lol. Honestly, I wouldn't pass along this damn curse to anyone. When I'm done with this car, it's hitting the wrecking yard. I'll take a video and we can all rejoice.
Old 06-13-14, 11:07 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Tabaka

And to add to this, I could never sell my car due to the amount of bad mouthing I've done about it on this forum lol. Honestly, I wouldn't pass along this damn curse to anyone. When I'm done with this car, it's hitting the wrecking yard. I'll take a video and we can all rejoice.
You wouldnt!

You can pass it too me instead
Old 06-14-14, 03:19 AM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah one thing I've always noticed any ad that has salvage, rebuilt, restored and other key words ends up sitting up for sale for awhile, it's just one of those turn offs. Also mentioning every flaw and issue in your ad will keep prospective buyers away. I would mention very little and when they are there then reveal the info, a lot of buyers I've seen overlook a lot of details because of the condition of the vehicles, and above all else make sure your car is clean, if some wet sanding and buffing will make the exterior stand out more do it. Same with interior if a new skin for the arm rest will help spend that 25 just do it all within reason.
Old 06-14-14, 07:57 AM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Exactly.

Young people = broke

Young people buy 20 year old vehicles because the market allows it. The 240 is a great example of entry level import cars. Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, cheap to repair. I find that several 240 owners wouldn't touch a SC because of the general cost of maintenance, weight, and lack of manual transmissions.
The same young people buy 240s with SR swaps for up to 8k all day. And those can barely break 300 crank horsepower before having serious issues (got four or five good friends with SRs and only one of them is still on his first motor.)

My UZ sounds a lot better and makes 250 stock, with cheap and reliable FI possibility up to 350.

I also know that my Lexus has been infinitely easier to work on than my old S14.

Probably the one thing that heavily dissuades people is lack of 5-speeds. Lots of young people just have to have their testosterone fix, because those damn automatics are for wimps! But once they grow out of that crap, they don't want a 20-year-old Lexus. If I tried to sell mine today, I could realistically get just about 5,000. If I had a 5 speed here it would be 7,000.
Old 06-18-14, 10:59 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry dude you're looking at under $4k. My car is NA-T, and finally fixed all the gremlins from the previous owner and I doubt I'll sell it for $5k (because I've tried lol).

AEM v1
TT brakes all around with cryo rotors and Hawk race pads
New tires 245/275
Oil cooler
Ps cooler
5 spd manual with act clutch
61mm turbo
80k miles
Various sensors, gauges etc
TT auto torsen lsd

Paint could use some work (bumpers, trunk)
Could use a new exhaust (but getting a custom one in a couple of months)

I'm at a point where investment is not even going to be half I'm going to get back so I'm just going to go ***** out and make it a race car lol
Old 06-18-14, 11:08 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

To get a good amount out of the SC it would be best to find an enthusiast who knows alot about the SC and Supra platform......Many supra guys like to ****** up SC's..

All depends I have a 92 SC300 Original 5 spd......with rebuilt GTE swap and single turbo....

I have basically rebuilt and replaced most parts on the car with new including adding new vinyl to the interior....

I think I would be lucky to get 10K for it...but I dont plan on selling the car I have way to much time and money in it to part with it.....

Plus in a few years my 92 will be considered a classic car....cant wait to get some classic plates for it...