SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should i sell my 99SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 12:27 PM
06bluerex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i sell my 99SC300?

Alright, so i recently purchased a 2014 Ford Mustang GT 3 weeks ago and now i have 4 cars.
2012 Toyota Highlander (wifes)
2014 Mustang GT 5.0 (daily)
2006 LS430
1999 SC300 Black with black interior auto.

Im debating on weather i should sell the sc or not, has anyone regret selling theres? i really love mine even though it has 285k miles and it was my daily until i picked up the mustang. everything works fine, cold ac and has never given me any probelms except for if i let it sit to long the battery dies. i was planning on doing a gte swap and all that jazz.
Old 05-30-14, 12:39 PM
Aquae
Driver School Candidate

To be completely honest with you, I would rather drive the SC than the new Mustang any day of the week. You can actually feel prestige and quality sitting in an SC instead of a plastic box. Just my $.02.
Old 05-30-14, 12:46 PM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

on my way to work the other day I counted how many mustangs I saw. I counted 47 in a 55 miles commute.
how many scs did I see? none.
do you like a different unique car? keep the sc.
everyone has a mustang and its lame! they all look the same with the same exhaust...

but if you do sell it... Ill give you 5 dollar for it! afterall... the engine is on its last legs since we all know the 2jz is a super weak engine....
Old 05-30-14, 01:29 PM
06bluerex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aquae
To be completely honest with you, I would rather drive the SC than the new Mustang any day of the week. You can actually feel prestige and quality sitting in an SC instead of a plastic box. Just my $.02.
I agree that the quality of the sc interior is far better than the 5.0 but its so boring driving the sc to work.

Originally Posted by mecheng10
on my way to work the other day I counted how many mustangs I saw. I counted 47 in a 55 miles commute.
how many scs did I see? none.
do you like a different unique car? keep the sc.
everyone has a mustang and its lame! they all look the same with the same exhaust...

but if you do sell it... Ill give you 5 dollar for it! afterall... the engine is on its last legs since we all know the 2jz is a super weak engine....
if i keep the SC, it will be my toy/project car.
Old 05-30-14, 02:18 PM
SupraTurbo
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im in Houston and I am currently looking for a 97+ black interior SC, but probably less miles though =]
Old 05-30-14, 03:36 PM
06bluerex
Driver School Candidate

The interior is in very good condition actually with no rips and everything works .car just a lot of highyway miles.
Old 05-30-14, 03:42 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Don't sell it! With our cars getting older and older, it's getting harder and harder to find one that's in good condition. SCs are easy to find but to find a late model that's well maintained isn't as easy. I know I wouldn't want to "start over".
Old 05-30-14, 04:13 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I was in the same situation with my 96 SC400 two months ago when I bought by 2011 Mustang Premium (loaded with a glass roof and nav), and I must say, the Mustang has a much nicer interior then the Lexus, and as a daily, I prefer driving it over the SC400. I posted it up on craigslist, but everybody that wanted to buy it seemed like they were douche-bags, so I decided to keep it. The car has a lot of sentimental value to me, and i gave it to my younger sister to daily it (she gets a lot of looks in it, since its nicely modded). Plus, its always nice to have a back-up car.
Old 05-30-14, 07:15 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems like you have no reason to really sell it other then to clear up parking space. I say keep it, you never know when you may need another car. If you decide to sell it, sell it to someone on here who will appreciate it.
Old 05-30-14, 07:22 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for the price of that mustang that you paid for, why didnt you give that sc some love with a swap
Old 05-30-14, 11:50 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikef
for the price of that mustang that you paid for, why didnt you give that sc some love with a swap
Dependability I imagine. As much as we love our cars we can't pretend they don't require attention and that parts won't go out. It may have been one of the finest quality built cars when it was new but (in his case) it is 15 years old.
Old 05-31-14, 01:28 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

This is a tough one. Since the 2012 models I feel that Mustang GT's have become something special again, even if they do crank them out by the thousands. I owned a 60's model once and never liked any newer generations. Ford caught up again.

That said, you may indeed have too many cars but at the same time you may regret letting the SC go if you still feel attachment to it. They're unique and kind of special even if your 2014 GT is faster. Given that you're in this position to decide what to do and you are no longer needing the SC as your daily driver, it's time to consider what you ultimately want from it: keep it stock as a classic, GTE swap (or NA-T), or full on high horsepower weekend toy.

Even a 60's Mustang would be inferior in all areas but horsepower compared to your '14 GT (I loved my Mustang but it handled like a tank). Still, the point of keeping an older special car isn't to make it compete with what's brand new. It's to enjoy it because of the unique experience it gives you regardless of how much power it has (or doesn't) and how it handles (or doesn't).

We're on an SC forum so of course many of us will say you should keep the SC300 but you should also ask yourself if you feel that it's special to you, even for sentimental reasons. You already know its performance can be improved so that's what it should come down to. If the answer is yes... then hold onto it.

I wish I hadn't sold my Mustang and I don't plan to sell my SC no matter what else I add to my stable. I just like it and I've done plenty to customize it to my personal tastes. I will, however, retire it from daily driver duty at some point.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-31-14 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-31-14, 08:40 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

id say it all depends on your financial situation, I know how easy it is to get attached to these SC's. but at almost 300 000 miles its served its purpose, and might be time to move on.

You've got a beautiful LS430 for luxury and the mustang for power.
Old 06-02-14, 06:02 AM
06bluerex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies/inputs.

Im still on fence about selling it, i think the major factor is if i want to go down this road with dumping at least 10k into doing a gte/single swap and paint job. The sc300 will always be a toy while the mustang will be the daily. The mustang is actually quite fun to drive 6spd v8 rwd but i do plan on trading it in;in about a year for a C6 Z06 or GT500 after i close on my house at the end of the year.
Old 06-02-14, 06:20 AM
xshurikx
Driver

I am going to stick my 2 cents. This happened yesterday. I called a guy about some rims who just happened to have an SC300 that he went 2JZGTE swap and the whole 9. after talking to him about some cars suspensions he had rims... and I quote "best car i ever had, really shouldn't have sold it"

if you love your SC and with 300k miles you must, keep it. If not sell me the interior
but at this point i would drive it until the engine just stops see how many miles i can do.

I can also tell you I bought my SC September 2013. Fell in love and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Quick Reply: Should i sell my 99SC300?