Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1996 SC300 OBD 1 or 2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 10:47 AM
Oxford
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 SC300 OBD 1 or 2?

I am back on the market for an SC300, and have a quick question.

Is a 1996 SC300 OBD1 or 2? I have plans to swap it and I do not want to have any issues when it comes time for emissions.

Here in AZ, if it is OBD1 they do the "sniffer test" essentially much easier for swapped vehicles as long as you are within the accepted emission standards (hydrocarbons readings etc.)

OBD2 is when they plug in the emissions computer to the vehicle inside and check to make sure there are no CEL or codes.

I have swapped vehicles in the past before but just want to make sure what I am up against on a 1996.

***I regret selling my last SC, hopefully I'll be back in one soon *****
Thanks!
Old 05-21-14, 11:02 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

Some states consider 97 the first year of obd2 however the year lexus you mentioned is a obd2. In delaware a 96 is tested as obd1. I know all these stupid rules as well lol. Currently looking for obd1 wagons around here. Our inspection of 97+ is very tedious. Hope that helped.
Old 05-21-14, 11:57 AM
Oxford
Driver

Originally Posted by Dream36
Some states consider 97 the first year of obd2 however the year lexus you mentioned is a obd2. In delaware a 96 is tested as obd1. I know all these stupid rules as well lol. Currently looking for obd1 wagons around here. Our inspection of 97+ is very tedious. Hope that helped.
I might just call the local emissions place and see what they would classify this car under. I hear ya, OBD1 would be much easier for me (swap wise). If I was not planning to do anything to the vehicle I would buy a newer SC.
Old 05-21-14, 12:18 PM
Oxford
Driver

Just tried to call but the line was busy.

Apparently 1996 is considered OBD2
http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/tech.html

"On Board Diagnostics: The newest test to be used in Arizona is the on-board diagnostic test. Used on 1996 and newer light duty vehicles only, engine operating data is accessed by connecting directly to a computer in the vehicle that continuously monitors engine emission control systems operation. The on-board diagnostic test can identify problems before they lead to engine damage and emissions system failure".
Old 05-21-14, 12:35 PM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

yes, after 1995 the sc went to the obd2 system!
sucks for you!
time to move to a state without emission laws!
gotta love ohio for that reason only haha
Old 05-21-14, 02:01 PM
Oxford
Driver

^No kidding, it stinks because there is a local SC (1996) that is supper clean that I would pick up in a heartbeat if it was 95 and older. I'll just keep looking!
Old 05-21-14, 02:41 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not aware of states choosing specific years.

1996 with the first year ALL cars per fed requirements had to have a universal plug in emissions-monitoring ECU.

Even NY no longer sniffs OBD1 cars.
Old 05-21-14, 04:10 PM
Oxford
Driver

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY

1996 with the first year ALL cars per fed requirements had to have a universal plug in emissions-monitoring ECU.

Thank you and lucky! Here OBD1 cars still have to pass the sniffer test, they put the cars on rollers and drive them through a cycle ranging the RPMS.
Old 05-21-14, 05:28 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they still pop the hood but just put a fake egr on it lol
Old 05-21-14, 05:41 PM
Dream36
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY

Agreed I was with you in thinking that, however I was taking a 96 accord though and when they didn't use the plug and asked me to rev ie pipe test, I was caught off guard so I asked. He said they only scan test 97+ and said it was originally to allow some odd vehicles that would never pass a chance to get through.
Kinda messed up that I had an 01 car fail for faulty air conditioner
Old 05-21-14, 05:48 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikef
they still pop the hood but just put a fake egr on it lol
Luckily it's extremely operator dependent for states that now do visual-only OBD1 inspections.

My daily driver gets inspected by the dealer. They even go as far as checking pads and brake light operation. If the car had an anus, they would probably do a prostate exam. Very thorough.

The Lexus goes to the shady guy a few blocks down. I can assure you he has never touched my hood latch nor taken a rim off the car. 5 minute inspection. He scans the old sticker, types some random junk in, and presto! Scrapes the old one off and puts the new one on. It takes me longer to fill my tank up at his station. $38 dollars later (I throw a $50 his way to make sure his 'service' is quick every year) and I'm off. Catless. EGRless. Airpumpless. No hassles there. :thumb up:

Wish OBD2 cars were that simple in NY.
Old 05-21-14, 08:50 PM
Boxxx
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the one upside to Alabama, no inspections of any sort for any year range. I couldn't imagine having to deal with that kind of nonsense, living in rural Hell has its perks I suppose. Anyhow like everyone else said '96+ is OBDII. Perhaps you can find a nice '94 or 95 model then.
Old 05-22-14, 08:24 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

pop hood and look at airflow meter right before intake.
If you have a black plastic round Mass airflow meter (MAF), then you are odb2. (96+)
If you have a grey metal rectangular Air flow meter (AFM), then you are odb1 (92-95)

you can also look for the odb2 plug in port right under the steering column. if you have one of those, likely they will be plugging it in.
Old 05-28-14, 01:18 PM
Oxford
Driver

^^^Good call, forgot about the OBD connector by the driver's knee. I passed on the 1996 SC, I will keep looking. Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 12-27-20, 07:37 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Adding to this one instead of a new thread. I'm hoping someone has the answer. On my '93 SC400, I know it is ODB 1. I assumed my '99 SC400 was ODB2. However, I cannot find the port. I have an ODB scanner, which I've used on my '00 Jetta, my '06 Avalanche, and on my '16 Malibu. However, I don't see any port where it should be.

Looking under the dash, I see a green light, a port that says, "ODB" but it is closed and doesn't look like a trapezoid.
Am I missing something?

This is looking up from the floor:

Quick Reply: 1996 SC300 OBD 1 or 2?