SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

finally

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 09:12 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know how you feel. I see these cars the way I see a 996 porsche. sure, there are better things and newer things but what you can do with the platform vs the cost is really really hard to beat. Its a great chassis that just bolts up with a great driveline and it looks cool. There are tons of great new cars which can do this but its all about what puts a smile on your face. I love the fact that I can cruise around with my son in the huge backseat and lots of stuff in the trunk and oneday do that with an engine capable of making lots of real power. Its a pretty lightweight car for how big it is and i guess thats one reason why I like it so much.
Old 05-22-14, 09:21 AM
pur4orm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

Originally Posted by Albatross
http://phrinstallation.blogspot.com/...soarer_23.html

I know clint and ross baird personally, I've worked with them, and the original owner of PHR is a friend of mine. They will be doing my GTE swap when I get around to it eventually because they're one of the most experienced and have the highest quality supra work IMO. They are in dallas, tx.
You really can't go wrong with PHR, I think they recently completed a motor build on a blue widebody SC on here. Great shop and great people, can't speak highly enough of em.
I just sent them an email inquiring on the cost of shipping my car to them.
Old 05-22-14, 09:31 AM
pur4orm
Driver

Originally Posted by pur4orm
Thanks for your input, it helps. Some think I'm crazy and say just buy a new car, truth is, I don't want a new car, I love my SC. Of course I will have a 2nd car for winter. Thanks again.
www.rpmnyc.com
Old 05-22-14, 10:14 AM
Sylexus
Driver

Thanks for the link to PHR, definitely will bookmark for future reference if I do not end up going the LSx route. Looks like I have alot of money to save up.
Old 05-22-14, 12:23 PM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make them front that money and sign a contract. Nothing worse than having your car and $10k tied up in someones basement far far away.
Old 05-22-14, 12:58 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Swap can be done for about half the price if you do it yourself with some friends.....A lot of members on CL are willing to help for some food and beers....

Good luck on the build.
Old 05-22-14, 02:23 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Default @CatManD3W

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Swap can be done for about half the price if you do it yourself with some friends.....A lot of members on CL are willing to help for some food and beers....

Good luck on the build.
Wish I had half ur skills, lol. I will get it together. Peeped ur threads and ur build, looking good.
Old 05-22-14, 02:32 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Default @obeewon

Originally Posted by OBEEWON
Make them front that money and sign a contract. Nothing worse than having your car and $10k tied up in someones basement far far away.
Ur right.im going with the guys at rpmnyc. I was there today expressing my concerns.i just have to be patient. I was trying to pay it all upfront but he wants to put together a parts list first. By the end of july, every screw, nut and bolt will be new. I'll be spending 30-40 once it's all said and done.
Old 05-22-14, 11:52 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Paying for everything up front is without a doubt the dumbest thing you can do when having work done on your car.
Old 05-23-14, 05:20 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jennie
Paying for everything up front is without a doubt the dumbest thing you can do when having work done on your car.
This. Never pay up front. EVER. Trust me, I worked quarter million dollar twin turbo viper builds... don't EVER pay all up front. A deposit is understandable but in reality for most things your car is the deposit. If you pay up front they have your car AND your money so you have no leverage. Very few shops would actually follow through as well as they would if they're trying to earn your dollar.

Be wise as a serpent and innocent as a dove.
Old 05-23-14, 05:41 AM
1CleanSC
Driver

30-40k on a minimum 500 hp car build... My buddies E85 MKIV Supra makes 650 and I think he has less than 40K invested INCLUDING the car (which was an original TT 6 Speed car). With that being said.... Have fun haha
Old 05-23-14, 06:21 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

I'm sorry man, but if you're spending 30k, you're doing it wrong... it should be significantly cheaper than that... at that price I would rather have a Supra... and it pretty much still holds its value...
Old 05-23-14, 07:58 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

thats true, for 30K you might as well buy a decent TT and be done with it. might even get a 6spd out of the deal.
Old 05-23-14, 08:27 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I would agree if there was talk of 25-30k I would just buy a stock 6speed supra TT and BPU or strap a single to it (myself) and have some fun.
Old 05-23-14, 09:18 AM
pur4orm
Driver

Default learning

Originally Posted by jennie
I'm learning by asking u guys for advice. When it comes to money, I'm just use to n I t owing anyone, at the same time, I don't let people owe me or BS me.

Quick Reply: finally