Unsure of what to do with my 93 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 09:01 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Unsure of what to do with my 93 SC400

Hey guys ,

After I bought my LS430 6 months ago I pretty much all but forgotten about the SC, and id put it up for sale.

The problem is due to the age and condition of the car it wont sell for as much as I value it and
Im at the point now where im wondering if I should just let it go for peanuts and move on , or if I want to do a full restoration on it.

The pros are it has a 97 body kit with an OEM front lip and an rx300 woodgrain wheel , so Im halfway there already.

The cons are at 21 years old it needs a lot of things to make it drive like it did when it came off the lot, tune up, bushings, blown amp, sunroof wont close, no AC, and other various minor issues as well as needing a FULL paint job.

My goal for the past while has been to sell the SC, sell my auto couture wheels and a few other items I have, and then put that money towards a C5 corvette.

The other option that im starting to consider is to keep the SC as its been good to me and give it a full , quality , restoration.

I was thinking get some wide body over fenders, slam it on coils with my 20x13 auto coutures , do a full leather restoration with leatherique, and add some suede in the interior and other additions, and turn it into a real head turner.

It would also need a full paint job.

If I go that far I might as well get some headers and the loudest exhaust I can find.

The problem is once I start on this car I could keep going and going, and in the end I could easily get my C5 , its really a tough call.

Here are a few pics of the car as it sits now, also a few pics of the wheels I haven't been able to sell yet either.

The delemna is these cars even at their age are rock solid bulletproof, and they are becoming so rare they are almost non existent, so to fully restore one would be cool , also the insurance is dirt cheap and would be cheaper if I restore it and get classic car insurance.

The flip side is a C5 vette is damn cool , 6 speed , convertible? and damn powerful, so im just a little stuck as to what to do .

its a 93 with 110 000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails Unsure of what to do with my 93 SC400-20140413_180425.jpg   Unsure of what to do with my 93 SC400-20140429_201245.jpg   Unsure of what to do with my 93 SC400-20140429_201236.jpg   Unsure of what to do with my 93 SC400-20140318_194409.jpg   Unsure of what to do with my 93 SC400-20140419_181817.jpg  

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 05-17-14 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-17-14, 10:58 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those wheels are sick! Sale both get C5

Id be stuck on what to do too.
Old 05-17-14, 11:57 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I would keep it. Every time I see a classic Mustang drive by, I can't help but compare it to the SC400. Comparable power and both have timeless looks, but one is built way better in every respect, is way more comfortable, and is much cheaper. I don't know that any Japanese car is capable of gaining Muscle Car status, but the SC checks all the right boxes for being viewed in that light as a worthwhile restoration project. And you're already most of the way there with a low mileage canvas in good shape!
Old 05-18-14, 12:55 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say sell it for pennies. No one mods an old 400. People only mod 300's or 98+ 400's. You'll regret it if you pour money into it restoring it.
Old 05-18-14, 09:35 AM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I say sell it for pennies. No one mods an old 400. People only mod 300's or 98+ 400's. You'll regret it if you pour money into it restoring it.
I'm insulted! I love my modded '93.

But I'm afraid I am with him in that it needs simply too much. Don't bother with leather restore products, had a friend use it on his G35 and dear lord it looked/felt terrible.

Part out would get you most money here. If you're willing to get rid of that RX wheel shoot me a message.
Old 05-18-14, 10:26 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I'd sell it and get the C5 Corvette. You can always get another SC.

Plus you have the LS and it's a way better car than the SC.
Old 05-18-14, 10:35 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan of those wheels, I say sell them, and put that money into the restoration. Seriously, 20's are overkill, and ride comfort is reduced, even further when you lower it, but it sounds like you're going for looks instead of practicality. Body looks good, interior looks pretty good minus the interior door trim and armrest...

And unless I'm confusing you with someone else, didn't you say you could do a $500 paint job yourself? What color were you planning on going with?

How much are you trying to get for the SC as it sits anyway?
Old 05-18-14, 11:47 AM
jennie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you're done with your SC project. I would just sell it and move on but not to a C5 vert. C6 or newer definitely
Old 05-18-14, 12:07 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have 2 options, it seems which boil down to a question: do you want a race car?

It might be blasphemous here but I'd consider a 2015 mustang if I were really wanting to move on. They're absolutely sick.
Old 05-18-14, 12:55 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If it were me I'd put it in storage for awhile till I get sick of the LS430, and also to keep the signature looking full. Good thing these peanuts dont go stale.
Old 05-18-14, 03:26 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Those wheels are sick! Sale both get C5

Id be stuck on what to do too.
thanks joey glad to see your still active here

Originally Posted by t2d2
I would keep it. Every time I see a classic Mustang drive by, I can't help but compare it to the SC400. Comparable power and both have timeless looks, but one is built way better in every respect, is way more comfortable, and is much cheaper. I don't know that any Japanese car is capable of gaining Muscle Car status, but the SC checks all the right boxes for being viewed in that light as a worthwhile restoration project. And you're already most of the way there with a low mileage canvas in good shape!
yea its tempting to keep for a few reasons,,for one I already own it, and I already have wheels and body kit, as well as I know the car, and I know it will last a very long time.

I don't know or mind if it gets muscle car status, but one things forsure, when u see a nice SC is will turn heads , and it has a very strong presence.

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Lol this was my mindset for the past 6 months, I actually felt bad that I had put so much money into my SC for wheels, kit and other stuff, but I was flipping through the 'ultimate sc/soarer' thread and I must say I was tempted to get back into the SC's, I don't know its a tough call , im still undecided.

Originally Posted by ArkLaTexSC
I'm insulted! I love my modded '93.

But I'm afraid I am with him in that it needs simply too much. Don't bother with leather restore products, had a friend use it on his G35 and dear lord it looked/felt terrible.

Part out would get you most money here. If you're willing to get rid of that RX wheel shoot me a message.
When done properly the leather restore works great , if your seats are like mine and have no rips or cracks it is perfect , after a proper restoration the seats will be almost as good as new belive it or not.

Originally Posted by Kira X
I'd sell it and get the C5 Corvette. You can always get another SC.

Plus you have the LS and it's a way better car than the SC.
hey Kira yea man , once I got the LS I completely fell out of love with the SC, I guess im starting to feel the passion again though.

im a member of the C5 forums, they seem like great cars but even the die hard vette guys will tell u the build quality is **** poor, and if your coming from lexus your gonna notice it right away.

Originally Posted by Biddles
I'm not a fan of those wheels, I say sell them, and put that money into the restoration. Seriously, 20's are overkill, and ride comfort is reduced, even further when you lower it, but it sounds like you're going for looks instead of practicality. Body looks good, interior looks pretty good minus the interior door trim and armrest...

And unless I'm confusing you with someone else, didn't you say you could do a $500 paint job yourself? What color were you planning on going with?

How much are you trying to get for the SC as it sits anyway?
yea I still have the raw materials for the paint job, I have the base coat and a gallon of clear, U can see in the photos I actually already did the doors of the car last summer, I was going to spray the rest but once I got the LS I completely lost interest.

Man all im asking for this car is like $2500, and ud be surprised how no body is buying these SC's anymore, all I get are ridiculous low ball offers and time wasters.

Originally Posted by jennie
It sounds like you're done with your SC project. I would just sell it and move on but not to a C5 vert. C6 or newer definitely
c6's are lovely and they are almost the same price but they have some valve issues and engine issues, I cant mess with a car that has issues like that

Originally Posted by Albatross
You have 2 options, it seems which boil down to a question: do you want a race car?

It might be blasphemous here but I'd consider a 2015 mustang if I were really wanting to move on. They're absolutely sick.
meh ,,mustangs not my style

Originally Posted by SC400slide
If it were me I'd put it in storage for awhile till I get sick of the LS430, and also to keep the signature looking full. Good thing these peanuts dont go stale.
lol good point man , they do cost me $75.00 a month to store though
Old 05-18-14, 06:41 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been tryin to sell my SC400 for what I think its worth, and so far I have felt insulted. I blame a lot of it on high gas prices. People are afraid to buy a v-8 Lexus even if it gets 20 mpg.
Old 05-18-14, 08:03 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bigwhite
Ive been tryin to sell my SC400 for what I think its worth, and so far I have felt insulted. I blame a lot of it on high gas prices. People are afraid to buy a v-8 Lexus even if it gets 20 mpg.
lol man , I know EXACTLY what you mean, it got so bad for me I actually started parting the car out.

I went through this last year when I had a 92 sc400 with like 90 000 miles, took me like 3 months to sell the car and even then it was a total headache.

This is why im really tempted to just have fun with the car, im just too stubborn and hard headed to sell this car for $1500 , even though I only paid $2400 for it and drove it for 5 years, its not the point.
Old 05-18-14, 09:57 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Man, I could fly out there, pay your asking price, drive the car all the way home and sell it here, and still turn a profit after travel expenses pretty easily. Cars in that condition with that low of mileage should not be hard to get $4,000 for. There must be way too many of them in your area.
Old 05-19-14, 03:29 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
hey Kira yea man , once I got the LS I completely fell out of love with the SC, I guess im starting to feel the passion again though.

im a member of the C5 forums, they seem like great cars but even the die hard vette guys will tell u the build quality is **** poor, and if your coming from lexus your gonna notice it right away.
I know that feeling. I barely touched the SC for a year and half after getting the LS. I'm in the process of restoring the SC but it's so much easier and cheaper to work on the LS430.

The C5 is a great car but the interior sucks so much. It's the only thing I don't like about those cars. The interior looks like an Cavalier.

The convertible looks goofy compared to the regular C5 and the FRC/Z06.

Quick Reply: Unsure of what to do with my 93 SC400