SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1993 sc400

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-14, 11:40 AM
sheila814
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 sc400

i was told y the moderator that i need to post something helpful soon. my 20 yr old sc400 has so many issues at 155600 miles i'm not sure this car wasn't made in US or on a friday in japan. here is the list:

lights and codes = cel code 71, o/d code 38 (yeah I know there shouldn't be a 38, but I checked the count 20 times. I have already replace the ecu so maybe they put in a different edition?), trac off, code 51.

Major Repairs= Convert a/c system to new coolant, Replaced heater core, new front struts to fix knocking noise (over $400, noise still there), rebuilt ECU at about 145,000 miles.

Broken stuff = probably some sensors, a/c expansion valve, antenna plastic belt broken, plastic worm screw for steering wheel adjustment worn out, speedometer works sometimes, all needle lights in cluster off most off the time or flicker for a second in parts of them, 12 disc CD changer plastic gear broken, p/s pump leaking. I'm sure i'm forgetting something.......

GOOD NEWS: I love this car. I don't have any glaring performance issues since the ECU was replaced and these lights have been on for years! I am just disappointed they used so much plastic in it! I think this was planned obsolescence, cuz when you have all these nagging issues you just want a new car! A mechanic did a compression test an said the engine is virtually brand new at 145,000 miles.

Where to start: With the A/C expansion valve leaking out all the freon and the p/s pump leaking that has to be to be throwing a code or two. So i'll fix those first. being on SS for income this means I'll have to do this myself. I'm 65 yr old lady with tools, but this Florida heat is a killer!! Anyone in the Clermont area looking for something to do? ha ha.

Helpful stuff from forum= sticking the wire in the diagnostic block was accurate and allowed me to get the codes. I made a new filter for the egr control valve (mine was impacted with dirt. After I did this the trac off light appeared but the code says i'v had a leak for some time. Don't see the connection. I suspect the ECU is ot for this car and is giving me misleading codes. I also cannot clear the codes by pulling the EFI fuse or taking the negative lead off the battery.) The tutorials at www.lexls.com have been great!

I promise to report back to the forum as I work thru the repairs and let you know what fixes what.

I previously found someone had broken the vacuum connection on the air intake and stuck some silicone on it as a fix. This person also left two vacuum lines down by the right side of the engine disconnected. I fixed these and it seemed to smooth out some rough shifting and fixed the trac off issue the first time I had it. So much of this (and other cars) work with vacuum pressures so it is HIGHLY IMPORTANT to start with looking at your vacuum lines BEFORE buying new parts!!

Ok, I'm done for know. Take care and good luck!
Old 10-26-15, 11:11 AM
sheila814
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I pulled the ECU and it is not the correct part number for my car. It is for a Jan 1994 to Jan 1995. So I probably don't have as many mechanical issues as the codes indicated. I told you the car was running fine.