SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

96 sc400 seems sketchy

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 04:47 PM
coolexus96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 sc400 seems sketchy

Hey there CL, need some advice and direction on what to get. I've been a member for over a year now and have done my research on the pros and cons on the sc400's. I recently sold my es300 and would like to get something with more power and something with a bit more character.
There is a 96 sc400 with no maintenance history with around 118,000 miles that needs struts all around and timing belt and water pump have not changed for 4800. The a/c is not as cold as he'd like. I hope the freon level is just low, but could possibly need a new a/c compressor.

There Is Another 95 Sc400 With 75,000 MILES On It With No Maintanence history for 6300, he claims the belt and water pump had been done by the previous owner, I don't know if I believe it because that would be pretty early to do.

Both body's are clean, with clean titles. They both will be inspected by a mechanic( I have a checklist of what I want checked out,compression, electrical, suspension, etc)

I don't know if it's worth the $, I will have to drive out of state to get both of them. I don't know which one would be a better buy or to stay away from both of them because they have no maintenance records. Need some input, advice.

Much appreciated

Last edited by coolexus96; 04-24-14 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-24-14, 05:45 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at a 97 sc300 with 24k miles on it, the thing was PERFECT lol, but under the car was smashed in, kinda looks like someone took it for a joy ride and just left it. no maintenance records and i turned it down, so if I was you, look over the car and match up the vins and all.

that is about the right price
Old 04-24-14, 07:57 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

As long as you're happy with the 96's price, I think the '95 is worth the $1500 more with that low of mileage and being apparently more up on needed maintenance.
Old 04-24-14, 07:59 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^^^ What he said. Until you can be 100% correct if the the service has been done, it is anyone's guess.
Old 04-24-14, 08:12 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's better to travel and pick up an SC that isn't sketchy, instead of settling for whatever happens to be close to you in that moment. "IMO." Those prices aren't anything special anyways. The internet is vast; Find the one you really 'want'.
Old 04-24-14, 09:24 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For those prices they better be clean Lol and i agree with UZZ-TT get something you really want and dont settle.
Old 04-24-14, 09:26 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

I really dont see that many clean ones left, only a hand full
Old 04-25-14, 09:09 AM
coolexus96
Driver School Candidate

The 95 He just bumped the price up to 6500. Stock suspension going to go out soon, that will be more $. I think I might go with the 96 & replace struts all around for around 300 shipped (monroe) and then timing and water pump at dealership (890). So about 6 grand into the 96 If that's all it requires. I hope the freon level is just low and it will not need anything else.

I've read posts about the egr going out on these cars. Should I test drive the car for around 25 miles? Wait for it to get a little warm and see how it performs?

I would like to know the rituals u perform while test driving a car prior to purchasing especially the sc400.

greatly appreciated
Old 04-25-14, 09:30 AM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as the car with timing belt / wp for 6300 it's worth a shot to go look at it in person.

Look at the timing belt, my car has a sticker on top of the timing belt black plastic piece saying when it was replaced.

Maybe you will luck out and it'll be a good deal?

Also look all around, i didn't find anything but found 2 SC400's 1 mile form each other I was interested in because they had black exterior.

Me and my father drove 8 and a half hours each way to get my car. And I'm glad to say it has under 100k, flawless maintenance records, timing belt water pump already done etc for a lower price than the second vehicle.

Make sure you be patient and get EXACTLY what you want. Trust me don't skimp out, and get something you wont be satisfied with.
Old 04-25-14, 09:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Its not uncommon for meticulous owners to do the timing belt every 60k and one with that low mileage should have been replaced just due to age so it does not sound fishy to me at all. I have seen it many times where you have to do it based on age rather than mileage cause that type of owner will not wait another 5-10 years to rack up 120k to do the timing belt, by that time the already 20 year old belt would be 30 years old, I mean who care what mileage it has at 30 years change the belt already you know.

Go and drive both of them, and then decide. the one with lower mileage and the work being done already is a good thing and likely worth the money. if the other guy has a clean car too and just hasn't gotten around to doing it that might also be a good car but I would try and get a better deal on it cause really thats something that should be done by the owner before passing it on, not driving it up to the point of the timing belt job and then selling it, I would expect a discount to have to deal with whatever random stuff comes up during that job.

If the shocks are done, so are the lower control arm bushings, also check the wheel left to right for play if there is play it needs new rack bushings. rack bushings are cheap and easy, the lower control arms no so much.
go from drive to reverse with your foot on the brake a few times, turn the wheel and try it again, if you hear a loud clunk there is worn control arm bushing somewhere. These are more important than checking EGR, egr is just a simple system that can be replaced and do not go bad often enough to warrant looking out for that, but any car you want to buy get it up to operating temp and let it sit there or drive it, take it on the highway, make sure it won't overheat, drives straight, etc. etc..

Also pop the hood and check the inside of the 2 front fenders for the toyota stickers. easiest way to tell if a front acident has occured replacement fenders will not have the sticker unless replaced by a certified toyota center which rarely happens anyways. missing sticker, you ask what the accident was, and then look over the rest of the body very carefully if you are still interested. If they wont tell you then its probably a good idea to walk away. If they tell you and it was something minor then look over it to verify and it was just minor then its a good bargaining point and you know what you are getting.
Old 04-25-14, 03:15 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

How do they both have no records? Get vin, check on Lexus site, and then carfax to make sure....
Old 04-25-14, 03:45 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As per the Toyota Soarer Service Manual, timing belt should be changed at 100,000kms (60,000miles) so the guy could be telling the truth about timing belt being done
Old 04-25-14, 04:00 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
How do they both have no records? Get vin, check on Lexus site, and then carfax to make sure....
Wow, I didn't know you could do this. I just set up an account and pulled up my new car's full dealer maintenance history! And now I know it was a Texas car from '93 to '01, with a gap from there until showing up for service in Portland in '09. (I never bother with CarFax after my last car purchasing round proved how utterly unreliable that service is.) Nice to fill in some of the blanks, and have mileage listings to go with services provided.
Old 04-25-14, 05:01 PM
coolexus96
Driver School Candidate

I asked for both Vin numbers on the cars. Hopefully i receive them. I asked the 96 sc owner for a carfax/history report he said he'd send me it in the mail...still trying to decide and I will take those things into consideration while test driving.

Appreciate all the input it is very helpful
Old 04-25-14, 05:37 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think 6500 is a bit steep. Got any pics?

Quick Reply: 96 sc400 seems sketchy