SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Popping, clicking noise when I turn wheel. Mechanic says it is universal joint.

Old 04-23-14, 03:09 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Popping, clicking noise when I turn wheel. Mechanic says it is universal joint.

Hi,
I recently developed a popping, clicking noise when I turn the steering wheel especially when stopped. The mechanics thoroughly went over the front end and said it was my universal joint. One guy mentioned the cv joint (I don't think he meant that). There was a major language barrier and I want to make sure I get the proper part.
The part he pointed to while on the lift was above the front wheel and looked like a small drive shaft with a u-like joint in the middle that spins when you turn the steering wheel. I think I remember it being on the passenger side but I could be wrong.
Please help me make sure I am getting the correct part and that this part sounds like it could be responsible for such a noise, rotates as such and is located above the front wheel.

The picture I attached is from ebay and looks somewhat like the part he pointed to while on the lift. This may actually be a drive shaft, if thats the case, that is obviously not the part. I can't tell scale from the picture but it looked much smaller than an actual (tranny to diff) drive shaft but was two shafts connected by a similar knuckle in between them like this one is..

Please excuse my inability to use the right terms. These are parts I have NEVER had to mess with.

Thanks, as always for the assistance.
SG
Attached Thumbnails Popping, clicking noise when I turn wheel. Mechanic says it is universal joint.-t2ec16rhjiufhg0g-ym-bsinldb-1-60_57.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 04-28-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-23-14, 03:56 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I can think of that sounds like that would be the steering shaft. The pic is definitely a drive shaft but the steering shaft itself should be on the drivers side and they usually have universal joints or rag joints. I don't know if that's a common failure point for our cars, don't hear about them too much but again, only thing I can think of that would have a U joint in it in the front end of our cars.
Old 04-23-14, 04:36 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCereal
The only thing I can think of that sounds like that would be the steering shaft. The pic is definitely a drive shaft but the steering shaft itself should be on the drivers side and they usually have universal joints or rag joints. I don't know if that's a common failure point for our cars, don't hear about them too much but again, only thing I can think of that would have a U joint in it in the front end of our cars.

Does it come straight down towards the front of the car in the same direction as the steering column itself? If so, It may be something different as it did not go in that direction. I'm fairly sure he showed me something on the passenger side. Only a small portion was visible viewing it from under the car while on a lift. The visible section was the section with the knuckle. It was not particularly easy to see, it was up in there and I had to get at the proper angle to view it.

Thank you sir!
I appreciate the help.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 04-23-14 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-23-14, 05:19 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCereal
SCereal,
Sounds like you are right. I looked further into it and it seems like the only thing it could be.
I just wanted to make sure I did not buy the wrong thing.

Thanks again!
Old 04-23-14, 06:39 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is your steering column shaft. It connects your steering shaft to your rack. The U join is an issue on any car if there is a problem. Anything can wear out....just think about how many times your car has turned in it's lifetime over the past 19 years?!?!

Mine also has an issue. If I shake mine up and down front under the hood, you can actually see my steering wheel rock as well. It shouldn't be popping, clicking, etc.
Old 04-23-14, 06:42 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tabaka
This is your steering column shaft. It connects your steering shaft to your rack. The U join is an issue on any car if there is a problem. Anything can wear out....just think about how many times your car has turned in it's lifetime over the past 19 years?!?!

Mine also has an issue. If I shake mine up and down front under the hood, you can actually see my steering wheel rock as well. It shouldn't be popping, clicking, etc.
Is there a bushing or similar in there that can be replaced perhaps?

(I assume you just have to replace the whole shaft.....)

Thanks
Old 04-28-14, 07:34 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I got a replacement used steering shaft today. Tomorrow I will install that, a new rack and pinion, a new PS pump and high pressure hose, upper control arms and poly bushings and LCA bushings.

When do I get a break from the spending? ;-)
Old 04-29-14, 08:42 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, these cars are a sucker for spending money. I could have had a lambo by now if it wasn't for the damn SC. I haven't driven mine since late January as punishment for breaking all the time.
Old 04-29-14, 01:22 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Angry

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Yeah, these cars are a sucker for spending money. I could have had a lambo by now if it wasn't for the damn SC. I haven't driven mine since late January as punishment for breaking all the time.
YEP!
I keep telling my wife, "after this string of repairs, It's going to be basically a new car". She knows I am lying now.
I am starting to look at used SUV's so I can punish mine for a while. Wifey wants an RX, I want a Cayenne.
Old 04-29-14, 01:36 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think he is talking about the tie rod end. the steering shaft goes from the steering wheel to the rack.
The 2 rod things coming out of the rack going into the center of the wheel area, well those are the tie rod ends.
when you have a bad tie rod end, you get play in the steering and often clicking and stuff. Also there is a boot on them it should be sealed not ripped or leaking. if it is then likely its in need of repair or replacement soon.

*edit* Just read you were replacing the rack and pinion, well those come with new tie rod ends and also rack bushings so sounds like you will have the problem solved either way. The steering shaft is not a common failure point, usually its the rack bushings or the tie rod ends or the lower control arms.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-29-14 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 02:56 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I think he is talking about the tie rod end. the steering shaft goes from the steering wheel to the rack.
The 2 rod things coming out of the rack going into the center of the wheel area, well those are the tie rod ends.
when you have a bad tie rod end, you get play in the steering and often clicking and stuff. Also there is a boot on them it should be sealed not ripped or leaking. if it is then likely its in need of repair or replacement soon.

*edit* Just read you were replacing the rack and pinion, well those come with new tie rod ends and also rack bushings so sounds like you will have the problem solved either way. The steering shaft is not a common failure point, usually its the rack bushings or the tie rod ends or the lower control arms.
Ali,
Strangely enough, it was the lower steering shaft. I know it is rare for failure because it was not available for purchase anywhere in the US. Not even Lexus had one. I got one from Gazi. The mechanic showed it to me from under the car while turning the wheel and surely enough, it was making noises when we turned the wheel (I wonder if it just needed lubrication at the joint?). I actually had no play at all in the wheel. Steering was tight as ever after replacing the rack bushings 2 weeks ago. The tie rods had a bit of wear but did not need to be replaced quite yet. I had a set in the trunk but now that i have to replace the rack, I will try to send them back to RockAuto.
I have no idea how my steering shaft got screwed up, but it seems to have found a way. This car is very talented when it comes to making me spend money.

Thanks as always for chiming in.
Old 04-29-14, 03:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

no problem, I think you are right in that your car is a little off the typical path in terms of repairs, but as long as you got it sorted that is what counts.