SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New lexus owner having electric problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 02:00 AM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New lexus owner having electric problems

First off i understand this is a forum and that this could possibly be somewhere else on here but i am sure this case will be unique.

I just bought a 1994 SC300 with roughly 145.100 Miles. The guy i bought it from had a gasket leak and re did all the valves and seals and he decided to re do all the wiring and put in a new radio.
Long story short now the car is having electrical problems today the speedo and RPM's were working and now they are not but the fuel gauge is, the power windows work but very slowly yet the power mirrors do not work and lastly the radio does not turn on at all he sais that he had an aftermarket stereo in it before but reverted to the original one and when back in place it does not even turn on, but the AC works properly yet will shutoff at random times and turn on again, but the AC display does not light up i have no clue if i have to get a new wiring harness or get a new battery im totally confused.

Once again im sorry if it is too long and again im sorry if this is not a special case bute i would just like advice and i want to try to make this lexus as good as now at the moment money is not an issue but obviously the cheaper the fix the better
Old 04-13-14, 04:20 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the car lowered? If so, do the front tires rub in the wheel well? If that is not the problem, I'd suspect he screwed up when he re-did the wiring. If he knows enough to re do the wiring, why didn't he offer to fix it for you before sale?
Old 04-13-14, 10:16 AM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Yes the car is lowered 1and a half inches
Old 04-13-14, 10:37 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BlackIRON
Yes the car is lowered 1and a half inches
Look at the top of the drivers side wheel well. The harness runs through a white plastic protector. The tire rubbing often chews up the wires in there and cause just the issues you describe. This could be what happened to you. If so, repair the harness and look up "harness relocation" on this site.
If not, take it back to this guy and make HIM fix it.

Good Luck!
Old 04-13-14, 10:43 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Many of your symptoms could be from the wiring harness that is under the left front wheel well. Improper lowering and then heavy driving results in that wiring harness being damaged.

However, you have a long list of issues and sounds like the re-wire is the culprit. If you are a DIYer then you have a project for life......
Old 04-13-14, 11:01 AM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

SO before taking off my tire and checking i went ahead and checked the fusebox and re inserted every chip and the radio chip was not even in (go figure) and the dome lights now work and so does the gauge cluster but still no sucess with the radio or power mirrors i will attempt to check the wires next friday but it seems like the prevoius owner already did the harness relocation ill post pictures in this thread tonight and thanks for the help so far

Last edited by BlackIRON; 04-13-14 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-13-14, 01:31 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlackIRON
SO before taking off my tire and checking i went ahead and checked the fusebox and re inserted every chip and the radio chip was not even in (go figure) and the dome lights now work and so does the gauge cluster but still no sucess with the radio or power mirrors i will attempt to check the wires next friday but it seems like the prevoius owner already did the harness relocation ill post pictures in this thread tonight and thanks for the help so far
update on the situation