SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Greetings from SoCal Noobie..Purchase Advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 06:21 PM
DozerDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings from SoCal Noobie..Purchase Advice!!

Hey CL, names Drew and I've trolled around this forum doing research for awhile now, and finally decided to join. I grew up on Hondas and have had several EK and EG hatchbacks with swaps. Then I had a way too expensive 6 series Bimmer while I was in the Military, but when I got smart (and broke lol) I got rid of that and only had my CBR 600 for the last couple years.I've wanted to buy a SC300 for awhile now and finally about ready too. I have the oppurtunity to pick up a '92 clean titled with 150K OEM 5 spd manual with 2jz-ge for $4k. Its my understanding the manuals are a little harder to find but I've really wanted one, and this is the best one Ive been able to find. From what I can tell from the pics he sent me the body and paint look pretty good, as well as interior. Probably 8 out of 10 for both due to minor stuff here and there. It just passed smog, its got some ugly aftermarket front bumper but he says he has OEM, also has ugly *** wheels too lol so I would be getting rid of those. But I just wanted to know your guys' general opinion based on that info..is this a good deal? I still have tons to learn about this platform but from what I know so far I fell like this is a pretty good deal. What do you guys think? I will try to post a pic if I can figure it out...
Thanks guys.
Old 04-09-14, 11:09 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard the market in CA has gone up for SCs but 4k seems a little steep to me. Pretty low miles considering the age and you get a few extras you can sell / trade for what you want so that's a mitigating factor. No idea how much value the manual trans adds.

I don't know that I'd pay that much for a stock driveline 92, regardless of 5sp or not but if its clean and mechanically sound, it does save you a bunch of money doing the swap and fixing up stuff from a cheaper car.

Hopefully others local to you can chime in with a better pulse on the market over there.
Old 04-09-14, 01:38 PM
DozerDog
Driver School Candidate

Ok thanks!! Maybe I'll tell him I've done some more reasearch and offer him 3k for it. Problem is I'm in San Diego and car is in L.A. So not easy to see it. All info I have is through text only so far.
Old 04-09-14, 02:52 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

I tried looking on FB but only thing comparable was a 94 SC3 166k thats asking 3200 but its an auto and looks totally stock. Can't hurt to offer and if you end up at 3500 might be a fair deal.

good luck with it either way!
Old 04-09-14, 04:05 PM
2o7SC3
Driver School Candidate

4k seems a relatively reasonable asking price for a factory 5 speed, I paid more for mine but I attribute that to my location, an SC is rare enough up here, 5 speeds are another story. Try reasoning with the guy and bring it down a bit but either way it seems reasonable in my eyes.
Old 04-09-14, 05:20 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's too hard to tell if it's a good deal or not. If it's an 8/10 from the pic's it's more likely a 7/10 in reality or worse. Interior restoration can be costly depending if it's just seat leather or other stuff like door trim/door panels etc... Same goes for the exterior of the car. If you really want a 5spd then your going to have to take the good with the bad, or increase your budget. You almost always save more in the long run by increasing your budget now to get a better car from the get go opposed to restoration/repairs in the long run.
Old 04-10-14, 07:24 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Amen too that my brotha ^^^^
Old 04-15-14, 08:36 AM
DozerDog
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice guys. Ended up going another route. Oldschool Caddy lol.